Anyone still shooting with the Nikon D750?

ted69

Hi,

I am just re-evaluating my camera setup after a few shooters I shot with have traded in their kit to explore other avenues.

I only have one camera now the Nikon D750 and was either looking to get a complimentary B-camera which I am unsure on what.

The camera is solely used for events shooting and small business commercial trailers.

I do like the small file sizes and minimal colour correction as colours are usually good out of the box.

I am testing out a Lumix G7 soon but unsure on what other cameras to explore for the events shooting market.

Having separate brands may give more headache in post when trying to match footage.

Just was looking to see what other Nikon shooters did.

Thanks,

Ted

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tested out the G7 and the colours even on the same kelvin values was not the same and really had to bump up the ISO to 2500/3200 to get better low light image. It was mounted on a gimbal and using the 14-42 so will need to do some more testing before I part with the Nikon.

I still have my D5500 which spits out a very similar image to the d750. I dont shoot with it anymore though since getting the XT2. Its 1080p is not as clean as the d5500 but it is sharper and the 4k is sharper still. I still love the Nikon image though and could see myself hopping back if they made a mirrorless with 4k video and F mount compatibility. 

I was thinking about getting a second hand D5500 but it does not take the same batteries nor can you punch in the Kelvin values or change ISO quickly. The D7200 had the same batteries but will see what the D7500 brings but not holding my breathe on that one. A mirrorless by Nikon would be great but again wishful thinking anything will drop soon.

I have considered the XT2 but that would mean selling off my entire Nikon kit (d750, nikon 24-70, 35, 50, 85) and then figuring out their replacements.

Yes, I know what you mean about batteries - over the years, moving through various models and brands, you can't help feel being held to ransom by it. These days though I factor in the cost of every new camera purchase to include a battery grip and several batteries. Ultimately, I don't want the batteries to dictate what camera I buy.  

I've enjoyed using the D5500 and feel the 1080p from it is possibly still amongst the prettiest you can get in H.264 8-bit colour (I haven't tried the Fuji X-T2, though). For usability I have ISO mapped to the FN button for quick changes. The pre-set WB options are pretty good in most situations (personally, I've modified Daylight and Cloudy a bit along the blue axis to be closer to what I want), though if you need to set your own Kelvin values, yes, that's where the low price of the D5500 begins to show.

When it comes to image quality I really do think we've been in the era of "good enough" for some time now, and it was relatively cheap cameras like the D5500 that brought me to that conclusion. Even this camera probably exceeds my current skill set; certainly, I don't feel held back by it! Be interesting to see what Nikon does next...