GH5 focus excellence

Asmundma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

We've conjectured that some of the significant AF differences we've seen in different GH5 videos is the result of differences in the lenses themselves. I've always gotten great AF results from my 14-140 and although my 15mm 1.7 is good, it's not as quick as the 14-140.

I think it's definitely a lot to do with the lens being used. The 14-140mm was always designed for video so has lovely AF. I have always found the 20mm to be truly awful for video AF. It hunts all over the place and is just not any good. As always, for photo it's fantastic but video, not so much - though a lovely lens video quality wise. It will be interesting to see how all of the AF lenses stack up on the GH5 as more people play with it.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

We've conjectured that some of the significant AF differences we've seen in different GH5 videos is the result of differences in the lenses themselves. I've always gotten great AF results from my 14-140 and although my 15mm 1.7 is good, it's not as quick as the 14-140.

Indeed. Reason why I had asked it to the Max/Joseph GH5 test partnership... Unfortunately, people don't seem to care about. The devil is in the details ;-)

2 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Ken...do you think it's due to the 14-140 being a more "video centric" lens than the 20mm...I have the 4.0 version of the  14-140 and even it is noticeably smoother than the 20mm...and I think in all these AF tests the different results may well be due to the lenses used in the system...though I don't use Canon, I imagine the AF between a Canon mount Sigma 18-35 and a native Canon lens also differs significantly?

1 hour ago, JamesAllenVisual said:

I think it's definitely a lot to do with the lens being used. The 14-140mm was always designed for video so has lovely AF. I have always found the 20mm to be truly awful for video AF. It hunts all over the place and is just not any good. As always, for photo it's fantastic but video, not so much - though a lovely lens video quality wise. It will be interesting to see how all of the AF lenses stack up on the GH5 as more people play with it.

Edit....just saw this

4 hours ago, JamesAllenVisual said:

True. Moreover, I guess GH5 settings may contribute to ease the issue. Actually, I'd like to see testing to fit so well together. Filmmaking is a combo match. People tend to forget it at times.

On 01/05/2017 at 0:47 PM, Mateusz Pieniążek said:

I've been following the GH5 concerned threads quite carefully, but never found anyone commenting on this. How, if at all, does the AF work with a Canon lens adapted through the Speedbooster (after firmware updates)? I'm interested in both stills and video.

Wondering on the same here...

• Super Members

Has Neistat moved over permanently to the GH5 now?

Just curious as if you look at his latest vlog when he's doing a piece to camera on the bridge where he proposed to his wife then he must've had it in the hitherto unknown Bridge Detect AF mode....

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Has Neistat moved over permanently to the GH5 now?

Just curious as if you look at his latest vlog when he's doing a piece to camera on the bridge where he proposed to his wife then he must've had it in the hitherto unknown Bridge Detect AF mode....

Yeah, he said he made the switch until something better comes along. That being said, he is also using a Sony RX100v, which was what he was using on the way back from the bridge when he fell and broke his finger. But I think it was the GH5 on the bridge when it locked on the background.

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, TARS said:

Yeah, he said he made the switch until something better comes along. That being said, he is also using a Sony RX100v, which was what he was using on the way back from the bridge when he fell and broke his finger. But I think it was the GH5 on the bridge when it locked on the background.

I did ponder that it might be the Sony but wondered if he'd be bothered with the extra hassle of recording external audio.

Of course if it WAS the Sony then he'll obviously have to fly Max and PhotoJoseph in to get to the bottom of it ;)

On 01/05/2017 at 0:47 PM, Mateusz Pieniążek said:

I've been following the GH5 concerned threads quite carefully, but never found anyone commenting on this. How, if at all, does the AF work with a Canon lens adapted through the Speedbooster (after firmware updates)? I'm interested in both stills and video.

23 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Wondering on the same here...

BTW, there's no XL 0.71x version (from minute 01:19), but only Ultra 0.71x.

XL version is only 0.64x.

So I originally wasn't going to post this video because I know there are few fans of 4K60p. That's OK, I love it. But since this is a thread on 'focusing excellence', it's entirely appropriate for me to post this. The video was shot yesterday at the Queens Zoo in N.Y. I used a variety of AF approaches (no MF at all), including 1-Area, Tracking AF, CAF and focus lock. The subject and its movement dictated which technique I chose.

Interestingly, the shot of the bear toward the end, is something that's eluded me with both the A6300 & A7Rii. It's so difficult that my wife said, "What's the point, it won't come out". I've taken the same shots of that same bear, and for whatever reason (the dark fur coupled with the bear's movement?), both Sony's would only hold focus for two or three seconds before losing it. In the interest of full disclosure, I did have one GH5 shot of this bear that wound up on the cutting room floor due to a misfocus, but that's still a 50% hit rate for a difficult subject even for PDAF. Everything else I shot was absolutely fine.

Ken, I am seeing micro vibration in your video shooted with 14-140mm lens. Is the GH5 IBIS working properly? The 14-140mm OIS makes strong vibration but DUAL IS should fix it. This video needs post stabilization. AF works quite well. I dont see hunting. There is still not very difficult movement, just slow walking at constant speed.