GH5 focus excellence

Asmundma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Idk, maybe I'm just bored today because I have no intent to buy a GH5, but I find these AF arguments to be kinda strange?

Of course contrast based AF isn't going to be the best AF available... so why the discontent? The GH5 is an epic camera with insane features, for the cost, but AF just isn't one of those features it excels at.

If you're looking for a solid get up and go AF starting point in manual mode... sure it works great, but it isn't DPAF or even PDAF... there are other cameras better suited for that if it's a major concern of yours.

Now as insane as the features already are, I can't wait to see the footage after the promised firmware updates happen... if you guys are still arguing about AF at that point, then maybe you should go and buy a Canon.

• Super Members

All credit to PhotoJospeh for trying to move on from getting bogged down in the whole face detect auto focus thing with his new video about how to set up an in car vlogging rig.

Complete with the camera having difficulty focusing on his stationary face....

face palm.jpg

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

All credit to PhotoJospeh for trying to move on from getting bogged down in the whole face detect auto focus thing with his new video about how to set up an in car vlogging rig.

Complete with the camera having difficulty focusing on his stationary face....

face palm.jpg

It's a good thing that the GH5 wasn't used in that video, because that would have started a whole new round of "Why can't the damn thing focus?". He used the G7.

I posted a comment below his YouTube video "AF Lock is your friend". I will never understand why people don't use this more, especially in situations like his where the DOF would have been sufficient to retain focus on typical head movements. Excuse me while I hit my head against the wall.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

It's a good thing that the GH5 wasn't used in that video, because that would have started a whole new round of "Why can't the damn thing focus?". He used the G7.

I posted a comment below his YouTube video "AF Lock is your friend". I will never understand why people don't use this more, especially in situations like his where the DOF would have been sufficient to retain focus on typical head movements. Excuse me while I hit my head against the wall.

I was expecting that if it did stay in focus it would've started endless "GH5 auto focus is WORSE than G7" flaming.

I was wondering why he makes such a big deal of starting and stopping the G7 with a remote cord, strains to see the image on flip out to expose correctly, struggles to focus for the same reason and leans forward to fiddle with controls and yet he's filming the whole thing on his iPhone which would have solved all of those issues if he'd just put the excellent ImageApp on it to control the G7. 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was expecting that if it did stay in focus it would've started endless "GH5 auto focus is WORSE than G7" flaming.

I was wondering why he makes such a big deal of starting and stopping the G7 with a remote cord, strains to see the image on flip out to expose correctly, struggles to focus for the same reason and leans forward to fiddle with controls and yet he's filming the whole thing on his iPhone which would have solved all of those issues if he'd just put the excellent ImageApp on it to control the G7. 

Where's this video? Is it a live stream? I can't seem to find it.

I've already cancelled my preorder for the GH5, not because of the AF-C, but because it's way more  camera than I need for vlogging. But - is there anyone among you who would be willing to pay for my camera if I bought the GH5 and, using the settings you recommend, pointed the camera at a lamp in my room, then at one of my hard drives, then at a pillow, and it didn't focus within 20 seconds of pointing the camera at each of those objects? 

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

15 hours ago, jonpais said:

I've already cancelled my preorder for the GH5, not because of the AF-C, but because it's way more  camera than I need for vlogging. But - is there anyone among you who would be willing to pay for my camera if I bought the GH5 and, using the settings you recommend, pointed the camera at a lamp in my room, then at one of my hard drives, then at a pillow, and it didn't focus within 20 seconds of pointing the camera at each of those objects? 

I just posted a test which kind of does that. Once the camera starts recording no interaction with it other than pointing at objects in the test field - pan / tilt / back and forward on slider. Shallow depth of field, range of objects, varying light intensity.  Sound seems to get neglected round here so put a bit of effort into that too. 

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Just set my GX80 up as single point, smallest box, back button focus - nice and snappy when shooting video (even in low light) with a 14-140ii.

The GH5 should be equally as fast if you avoid all this complicated fannying about with settings nobody really understands.

Edit: AF-S and not AF-C 

Yeah, that's how I use my GX80s.  I love my Voigtlanders, but miss the AF-S insurance when I use them.  Still really thinking of consolidating my lenses to a few Panasonic primes and a couple of zooms.

12-35/2.8 + 35-100/2.8 for outdoor events

12/1.4 + 42.5/1.2 for low-light/indoors (will keep Olympus 75/1.8 for range)

15/1.7 + 42.5/1.7 for travel.

38 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

Yeah, that's how I use my GX80s.  I love my Voigtlanders, but miss the AF-S insurance when I use them.  Still really thinking of consolidating my lenses to a few Panasonic primes and a couple of zooms.

12-35/2.8 + 35-100/2.8 for outdoor events

12/1.4 + 42.5/1.2 for low-light/indoors (will keep Olympus 75/1.8 for range)

15/1.7 + 42.5/1.7 for travel.

I have my A7sii and A7s for low light work but the autofocus on them is terrible for riots and other such fast moving and unpredictable events.

I really needed cheap 4K, one lens solution, smaller sensor for greater depth of field, better autofocus, easy manual focus (so a bridge was out), small and light camera and under £1,000 because it will get damaged eventually with the kind of things I'll be filming this next two years.

Having said that, I must discipline myself not to chase after some of those lenses on your list or I'll end up with a GH5 which I really don't need.

Edit: And top notch stabilisation - that was the clincher. To shoot 280mm (FF equivalent) without looking like I needed a shot of morphine, is something else.

3 hours ago, Davey said:

Just set my GX80 up as single point, smallest box, back button focus - nice and snappy when shooting video (even in low light) with a 14-140ii.

The GH5 should be equally as fast if you avoid all this complicated fannying about with settings nobody really understands.

Edit: AF-S and not AF-C 

That's exactly how I shoot with my G85 - dial focus assist to 10X, go into the menus, AFF/AFS, select AFS, then use AF lock for just about everything. Or tap to focus on the image app. Last night though, the app kept freezing on me, not sure why. This morning, all seems fine again.

5 minutes ago, Davey said:

Having said that, I must discipline myself not to chase after some of those lenses on your list or I'll end up with a GH5 which I really don't need.

Edit: And top notch stabilisation - that was the clincher. To shoot 280mm (FF equivalent) without looking like I needed a shot of morphine, is something else.

For me the GH5 is more camera than I need, or know how to use - also too big for what I like too.  I just would like some features like the 4k/60p, 180fps, and extra ETC options (no need for longer zoom).  I only own the two 2.8 zooms and the 15/1.7 and 75/1.8 right now.  The others are wishful thinking and only if I sell the Voigtlanders.