GH5 focus excellence

Asmundma

• Super Members

I find the defensiveness of the GH5 crowd very entertaining. 

Specially since some of the loudest used to rip pretty hard om the gh4 but are now willing to die defending the exact same issues.

And I mean this in a very positive way. Its good to be passionate :)

(Edit: I feel I must add that I have never spoken badly nor positive about the gh5. Otherwise I risk getting caught in the crossfire ;) )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I find the defensiveness of the GH5 crowd very entertaining. 

Specially since some of the loudest used to rip pretty hard om the gh4 but are now willing to die defending the exact same issues.

And I mean this in a very positive way. Its good to be passionate :)

(Edit: I feel I must add that I have never spoken badly nor positive about the gh5. Otherwise I risk getting caught in the crossfire ;) )

No worries, you've just arrived... ; )

Crowd? What crowd? That's a niche camera hated on every single Vlogger-reviewer... And confirmed by their followers as a new mantra because of what? An automatic mode. The crowd is out there. We are the minority. :P

4 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I don't think the issue is in settings. I think the issue is with the AF method---it is seriously limited in capability. So, why not use dual pixel AF? It's clearly better. My C300 is rock solid.

I asked Joseph why he wasn't aware that the Sony a6500 shoots 4K and he says something to the effect that he's not a camera reviewer and can't be expected to know about all the cameras out there. I just don't trust him. Even in Vietnam, I see dozens of people shooting with Sony a6XXX cameras every week, I meet other photographers, and naturally, we talk about gear. Doesn't Joseph have any photographer friends? 

That's the way it works nowadays. People want to turn their camera on and (with default settings) the device has to work properly --> means as in users phantasy and fictional world.
If not...well, then people are very disappointed. I believe, it's more than 90% of buyers thinking and acting like that.

That's why Canon is market leader: Quite perfect DPAF even on consumer devices and easy to use cams for the masses. When a Canon cam works immediately properly with default settings, why tweaking around and getting used with another brand?

In the modern - smartphone dominated - Instagram-, Facebook- and YT-economy WHO cares about 4.2.2 10bit, skin tones, etc.? In a superficial and fast moving world, over 99 percent of audience never care about fine image quality, balanced color science, etc. But ALL people are noticing out of focus footage...O tempora, o mores...

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I asked Joseph why he wasn't aware that the Sony a6500 shoots 4K and he says something to the effect that he's not a camera reviewer and can't be expected to know about all the cameras out there. I just don't trust him. Even in Vietnam, I see dozens of people shooting with Sony a6XXX cameras every week, I meet other photographers, and naturally, we talk about gear. Doesn't Joseph have any photographer friends? 

This is a relative world--not an absolute one. We only know quality and performance in one thing in relation to other things. I'm not a professional--just a very interested amateur who wants to get the best possible results with the equipment I have. And to me that means being abreast of what equipment is available and what its capabilities are. Most pros I know are almost constantly obsessively searching for equipment that will make things better and easier, and their loyalty is to results not a brand.

I think I agree Jon. It's kind of weird when someone doesn't--especially a professional.

3 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

This is a relative world--not an absolute one. We only know quality and performance in one thing in relation to other things. I'm not a professional--just a very interested amateur who wants to get the best possible results with the equipment I have. And to me that means being abreast of what equipment is available and what its capabilities are. Most pros I know are almost constantly obsessively searching for equipment that will make things better and easier, and their loyalty is to results not a brand.

I think I agree Jon. It's kind of weird when someone doesn't--especially a professional.

I could be mistaken, but I thought the a6XXX lineup were some of the best selling cameras in the world. But hey, I didn't know who PewDiePie was until yesterday!

Panasonic can't "just use dual pixel instead", dual pixel is patented by Canon, and I highly doubt Canon will be licensing out their main competitive advantage anytime soon.

There's also a theory that Sony won't sell Panasonic sensors with phase-detect, to protect their own cameras. Which leaves Panasonic stuck with contrast-detect until they can start making their own sensors again.

All the attention on AF makes me wonder if this does not have something to do with the 24P revolution on the DVX100 and boom..."film look" and then DSLR's and M4/3's and real affordability for everyone achieving an image not that far off from S35 mm film cameras and suddenly everyone's a DP....overnight!....except they're not!...it took years of learning to change and clean lenses...switching magazines and checking gates after changing over each film mag...pulling focus, and then operating....and only a select few went on to become DOP's in a fairly large industry...but everyone went through the process of LEARNING how to work properly with the various aspects of the tasks the 4 to 5 people it took to just operate that camera had to be familiar with!...and now we are suddenly in point and shoot mode...and image be damned...if the  DP ( tongue in cheek here!!!)...can't just point his camera at the desired subject and singlehandedly pull of Scorsese's several minute take in Goodfellas...well WTF Panasonic!!...what were your engineers thinking...clearly they were not thinking about the most important aspect to many about this camera which is AF!...the good news of course is for a few hundred $s the camera you want is out there... you can by an older Canon DSLR that will AF seamlessly and get down to the business of making your own dream projects...so all is not lost after all!!!

Well that's 11+ minutes of my life I'll never get back. I'm not sure what he said or what his point was. The time being spent with these endless discussions on AF, that arrive at either no conclusion, the AF sucks, the AF can work if you learn it and finally the 'who knows, let me get back to you on that'. It's endless.

I'm like... ok, I don't remember Casey's vlogs always being purfect, but I still enjoy it, because of the content... then... I started noticing the reflection when he's up-close to the camera. Huh, I thought he went from Canon to the Sony A6500, but that's a vari-angle screen on a DSLR-style body... hum. Does that say 'Lumix'?... must be... 'Canon' surely, right? Too much issues with the A6500, back to the 80D. Wait... there's a 4K option... That really is crisp... how is a Canon that crisp? Unless... it IS a Lumix. Reads the description sees 'NEW NEW CAMERA' linking to the GH5 Amazon link. :grin: Isn't that something?!! Just when everybody turned to hating this camera, Casey steps up and shows that content is still king... good equipment doesn't necessarily make great content... good enjoyable content can for sure be had with whatever means you can get your hand on. Of course the best thing is when content & means go hand in hand. What do we think? I saw some out of focus bits, but no real hunting. I'm pretty sure his Canon and Sony had out of focus bits and it never took away from the story.

cCO1U0A.png

Lens inscriptions make me think he's shooting on the new X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II

I watched this earlier and thought how good the quality was during most of it - especially the boarding scenes. Better than usual which is always great quality so I assumed he was using a new Sony or Canon (going back to his 80D maybe). Wasn't till I read the comments that I saw it was a GH5! Blown away. All this negative talk about it not being good for vlogging etc and the king of pro vlogging is now using it. The stabilisation looks really nice of course is most of the shots. Would like to know how he's using the focus. Obviously has to get it right the majority of the time so needs to get the shot quickly.

Some shots looked really wide so I was wondering if he was using the 7-14mm maybe.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I'm like... ok, I don't remember Casey's vlogs always being purfect, but I still enjoy it, because of the content... then... I started noticing the reflection when he's up-close to the camera. Huh, I thought he went from Canon to the Sony A6500, but that's a vari-angle screen on a DSLR-style body... hum. Does that say 'Lumix'?... must be... 'Canon' surely, right? Too much issues with the A6500, back to the 80D. Wait... there's a 4K option... That really is crisp... how is a Canon that crisp? Unless... it IS a Lumix. Reads the description sees 'NEW NEW CAMERA' linking to the GH5 Amazon link. :grin: Isn't that something?!! Just when everybody turned to hating this camera, Casey steps up and shows that content is still king... good equipment doesn't necessarily make great content... good enjoyable content can for sure be had with whatever means you can get your hand on. Of course the best thing is when content & means go hand in hand. What do we think? I saw some out of focus bits, but no real hunting. I'm pretty sure his Canon and Sony had out of focus bits and it never took away from the story.

cCO1U0A.png

Lens inscriptions make me think he's shooting on the new X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II

I guess he and I got the only good ones. ;)

Seriously, if only people would learn how to use these, they ARE capable of good AF. And yes, many of his clips in many of his videos with other cameras are badly out of focus...and that includes Sonys. I thought this was actually one of the better ones. Oh the irony, oh the irony. :)

On a related note, I had gotten a request from PhotoJoe for my AF settings (he had seen my videos that try to mirror Max's tests), but I got the request too late for his shootout with Max. I tried to respond on his website as he requested, but I'm not even sure it went though. 

2 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I guess he and I got the only good ones. ;)

Seriously, if only people would learn how to use these, they ARE capable of good AF. And yes, many of his clips in many of his videos with other cameras are badly out of focus...and that includes Sonys. I thought this was actually one of the better ones. Oh the irony, oh the irony. :)

On a related note, I had gotten a request from PhotoJoe for my AF settings (he had seen my videos that try to mirror Max's tests), but I got the request too late for his shootout with Max. I tried to respond on his website as he requested, but I'm not even sure it went though. 

Someone posted a link to that Autofocus Fix on the last page and if you click on that video, ironically, the top comment is from Casey Neistat. I'm just guessing that he might have followed that guy's advice which was to ... once you achieve focus, switch it to MF.