C300 MkII suffers from ghosting

hyalinejim

Just noticed this post on dvxuser

I experienced quite evil artefacts when object move

A003_C004_170404_IS_CANON.00_00_28_20._S

And on liftgammagain:

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/canon-c300-mkii-motion-artifacts.8639/

Looks like C300II has ghosting similar to (but not as severe as) the XC10:

Given that we've also seen ghosting in GH5 VLog samples, I guess that motion artifacts are now part of the landscape of in-camera temporal noise reduction.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is really bad since C300mkI is OK, certainly the issue is in the noise reduction, like in the XC10….anyway, this camera is too priced to be owned for almost everyone in this forum, so really I don`t see an impact in the community….and, why do we need to talk about the C300mkii when the 5dmkiii just got 4K and RAW?…..most probably I will be shooting with the 5dmkiii, and never with the C300mkiii anyway….

When you get lemons make lemonade- I'm using ours for our next ghost movie- we're gonna save a ton on VFX post work! ;) 

Strangely, I only recently noticed this, but didn't worry about it because I never saw it in moving footage (and most of our work has been a locked camera on a green screen).

Still have a 5D3 and while it's tempting to try the new 4K ML, the C300 II has great AF, super low rolling shutter, smallish files (compared to RAW), won't stop recording due to data rate issues, and easy post workflow. Love the 4K ML RAW look, just not worth it when we have these other options and the target is YouTube. For experimental / pure art / narrative, 4K ML RAW is a dream come true.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

When you get lemons make lemonade- I'm using ours for our next ghost movie- we're gonna save a ton on VFX post work! ;) 

Strangely, I only recently noticed this, but didn't worry about it because I never saw it in moving footage (and most of our work has been a locked camera on a green screen).

Still have a 5D3 and while it's tempting to try the new 4K ML, the C300 II has great AF, super low rolling shutter, smallish files (compared to RAW), won't stop recording due to data rate issues, and easy post workflow. Love the 4K ML RAW look, just not worth it when we have these other options and the target is YouTube. For experimental / pure art / narrative, 4K ML RAW is a dream come true.

Glad to hear this issue is not generating you problems, if I was in your position I will be shocked to realize such an expensive camera have some kind of ghosting….since the previous versions didn`t….certainly 5d3 has still many limitations, specially in the data issue area, but like others ML versions, it is going to become better in the next weeks….and you can get one today at an affordable price….I can see myself using it as a B camera in the future.

We've had the camera for about 1.5 years, it's not an issue at all- took a long time for anyone to even notice it. It's probably related to the firmware release which vastly reduces noise. Hopefully they can fix it or at least provide an option to turn off that form of NR in the next FW release.

23 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Just noticed this post on dvxuser

A003_C004_170404_IS_CANON.00_00_28_20._S

And on liftgammagain:

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/canon-c300-mkii-motion-artifacts.8639/

Looks like C300II has ghosting similar to (but not as severe as) the XC10:

Given that we've also seen ghosting in GH5 VLog samples, I guess that motion artifacts are now part of the landscape of in-camera temporal noise reduction.

Try adjusting the sharpness up or down. That may correct it. The artifact likely comes from smeared data on edges as a consequence of debeyering and the sharpening setting.