How to get full res 1080p output from 4K (or higher) source in Premiere pro?

tellure

First off apologies for such a noob question here.. I posted this in another thread but that seems to have died and it's been driving me nuts..

Basically the problem is that my 4K content (or higher such as stills) is not outputting the full resolution it should at 1080p.  I'm sure I'm missing some really obvious setting here.. but what? Would love to get some help from the experts here.

Below is a visual explanation of what I'm seeing.. I have a 5168x3448 source image (sequence) which I have scaled up to 200% in the clip settings.  Should have lots of resolution in such a high res source for 1080p right?  Then why am I getting jaggies?

1080p output h264 file on the left, source image on the right in Photoshop.  Sequence settings and clip settings shown below, along with the output render settings.  Also, when I drag the image sequence clip onto the timeline I get the "This clip does not match the sequence's settings.  Change sequence to match the clip's settings?".  To which I answer "Keep existing settings", since I want to keep my sequence 1080p.

Again sorry for the super basic question.. been googling for a while and still can't find the right fix

17.8MP_on_1080_Sequence.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Weird.. my understanding was that if you have a source that's way higher res than your output res then you should be able to scale to higher than 100% and still not be going beyond the source resolution.  if not, then how do you zoom in on a 4K source for 1080p output and retain the resolution?

41 minutes ago, tellure said:

if not, then how do you zoom in on a 4K source for 1080p output and retain the resolution?

Make the sequence 1080p. Add your 4k source material. Scale it down by 50% so that it fits the sequence resolution. Then if you want to "zoom in" you scale it back up. 

So here's what happens when I follow these steps.. again apologies for this insanely noob question.. there must be some obvious step I'm missing here:

1. Create new project

2. Create new 1080 sequence

3. Add 4K clip to project

4. Drag 4K clip onto sequence

5. Get the following popup:

KeepExistingSettings.jpg

If you answer "Change sequence settings" then you now have a 4K sequence, which is not what we want (we want to have a 1080 sequence).

If you answer "Keep existing settings", then now the clip is 100% at 1080 and zooming in further will show lower resolution, as shown in the original image I posted above.

So neither of these is allowing 4K source to be scaled down 50% as you describe.  What am I missing..

"Add 4k clip to project". Is that what you're doing? Your first picture says imported image sequence. So those are two different things. If you import an image sequence and get it to resize them as you import then you are losing all your resolution there. So right click your image sequence that you imported, hit properties, and see if it says 1080 or your expected 5k.

57 minutes ago, tellure said:

So neither of these is allowing 4K source to be scaled down 50% as you describe.  What am I missing..

At 100% you only see 1/4 of the 4k image on a 1080 timeline. If you take the scale slider down to 50% then you see more. Or you can right click the 4k clip and select set to frame size in which case you see the whole 4k again but it's called "100%". Personally I'd use Red Cinema as the sequence. And, again, what you are importing? A timelapse? How are you doing that.  

12 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Check that you don't have "scale to frame size" on. Use "set to frame size" instead.

4 hours ago, tellure said:

This solved it!  Thanks very much.  Guess I need to find out where I can set this as the default.

Is there any way to get clips to "Set to frame size" by default when you pull them into the timeline?

On 4/5/2017 at 3:11 PM, Inazuma said:

Is there any way to get clips to "Set to frame size" by default when you pull them into the timeline?

After a bit of googling.. you can turn off the "Default SCALE to frame size" in Edit --> Preferences --> General, but there doesn't seem to be any option to turn on SET to frame fize by default.  Note that this setting only seems to take effect on new projects created after the setting was toggled, not existing projects.

Having Default Scale to Frame size turned off does help though because then content which is higher than the output resolution will show up as zoomed in, which will remind you that you need to set this property on every clip you put on the timeline..

• 5 months later...

So I've been using Set to Frame Size a bunch now and it's great, but the problem is that when I doubleclick on a clip from the timeline to open it in the source monitor to do some edits / trimming, the clip is no longer displayed at full resolution (e.g. appears cropped).  Here's an image showing the difference between the Program Monitor and Source Monitor when viewing a 4K clip on a 1080p timeline with set to frame size turned on:

SetToFrameSize_SourceMonitor.thumb.jpg.11819212c7f6732b41d2575fefacff96.jpg

So far I've only been able to find one post about this issue, and the answer wasn't very helpful ("Don't open clips from the timeline. Clips in the timeline that are larger then the sequence setting will also be larger in the Source Monitor.")

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2297340

Or someone with the same issue, no answer: https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/5qtsvv/is_there_a_way_to_change_source_monitors_scaling/

Anyone know a solution to this problem?