For degree film: Proskar 16- B version OR Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x

Greenhappy

Hello,

I am doing a case study for my degree about the anamorphic look as a creative aesthetic decision in digital film-making and I would like to shoot my final project using projector lens due to my micro budget. I have no experience with adapters, all my knowledge is based on secondary research,  and unfortunately, i missed the opportunity to buy a nice cheap KOWA that are pretty rare and seem sharp from my observations, so with my limited budget in mind I have option between  PROSKAR 16B and a Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x 

Any thoughts on this particular proskar B model? I could not find much information about the differences between the other models from the same make.The only concern I have from overall what I've gathered is that the PROSKAR 16 seems to give a unique feel to the footage, it is lightweight, but it is pretty soft below f4, and I am not sure if I want to loose f-stop flexibility in consideration with some details in the screenplay. Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x does seem sharper, but it lacks the organic, charismatic feel to it.

What is your take if you had to choose between Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x and the PROSKAR 16B for a first anamorphic adapter, that it is going to be used for more than just tests and experimentation?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have reached the conclusion that the PROSKAR tier adapters are a bit too soft. A KOWA 16s is in my sight. Anyone have any experience or observations for it? It seems a bit rarer than other models. It is also more expensive than the Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x

2 hours ago, Greenhappy said:

I have reached the conclusion that the PROSKAR tier adapters are a bit too soft. A KOWA 16s is in my sight. Anyone have any experience or observations for it? It seems a bit rarer than other models. It is also more expensive than the Isco Blue Ultra Star 2x

Just go with the Isco Ultrastar and Vid Atlantic front and rear clamps if you want the best quality/price ratio :)
You just won't get anamorphic flares (but you can force them by using a cheap ND filter on the front) and it will be dual focus (but most of the times, you can get around it with some time and patience)

PS : don't pay more than $200 for an Ultrastar at it is the usual "low" price for it. 

2 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

Just go with the Isco Ultrastar and Vid Atlantic front and rear clamps if you want the best quality/price ratio

Yes, I am starting to lean heavily on the Ultra-star, as overall it seems more practical as an adapter can get in terms of results for a sharp and usable image for projects other than experimentation and playing around.

Also what clamp size would i need, 72 mm ?

On 4/2/2017 at 9:46 PM, Greenhappy said:

Yes, I am starting to lean heavily on the Ultra-star, as overall it seems more practical as an adapter can get in terms of results for a sharp and usable image for projects other than experimentation and playing around.

Also what clamp size would i need, 72 mm ?

I have 58 on the Back (actually 60 but comes with a 60-58mm step-up if I remember correctly) and 72mm on the front :)