Greatest Meme of 2017. Cine zooms for cheap.

Kisaha

The Canon 18-80mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/cinema/compact-servo/compact-servo-18-80mm-t4-4-ef

the new Sigma's http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cine-lenses/products/high-speed-zoom/

and the Fuji's http://www.fujifilm.com/products/optical_devices/tv_cine/cine/mk/mk18_55mm/ ,

are creating a new whole group of lenses.

What is your opinion about each of these lenses, and do you see any other players contribute soon to this new fashion (Samyang maybe?)?

Are you excited about having those options around (I sure am!)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why not?! Samyang is starting doing great and innovative (for Samyang!) things, I believe they got some of the Samsung NX engineers, responsible for the great 16-50S 2-2.8f lens, why not to make a 16-XX (just put whatever you want at the long end!) T2.9 one for 4.000$?!

My only issue with all these aforementioned lenses is that I use too much the 16-17.99mm focal lengths!

The Fuji 18-55 seems like the best deal, and if someone cares for all the electronic advantages on an EF mount, then the Canon 18-80 is one way (even though, the most expensive).

The thing is, I seriously missed working with specific for moving image lenses, the benefits can really increase the ease of use and elevate our results greatly.

Here, Kai doing absolutely nothing with this beautiful lens!

The Angénieux Type EZ ones are looking sexy. Gotta love these options indeed. Of course these are really specifically developed end products targeting in a very specific market, so prices do tend to get up there.

But... I'm more of an 'a zoom covers the range of multiple primes, so it's super convenient' kinda guy. I don't really need all the typical characteristics of a cinezoom and can save me quite a few bucks by just cinemodding or just gearing stills lenses. Like, the Nikon 17-35, 28-70 and 80-200mm f/2.8 D ED makes for a cool bunch. There's the Tokina Cinema ATX zooms as stills version, so the 11-16, 16-28 and 50-135mm f/2.8. Optically that gets you roughly there, of course the way of acquiring is less professional, but then again, are we all that professional with them professional filled wallets? I actually don't mind working with primes, though. They're smaller to work with and they're optimized for the focal length, there's no concessions. Does mean you have to switch 'em out, but as long as you're not shooting ENG style out in the field, but rather in a studio scenario with lights set up and time on your side, I'd say it isn't a biggie.

Dunno about Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex and what they're doing... they might be bright 'n cheap, but I'd say a Sigma is better overall quality and value in the end. You don't hear from Tamron a lot these days... maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but they seem to be getting behind in popularity. Their newer SP series lenses actually look quite alright, though. I wonder if maybe they're the ones who could try something else and maybe produce us some cinezooms? I embrace more options, that's for sure!

20 hours ago, Cinegain said:

But... I'm more of an 'a zoom covers the range of multiple primes, so it's super convenient' kinda guy. I don't really need all the typical characteristics of a cinezoom and can save me quite a few bucks by just cinemodding or just gearing stills lenses.

Exactly! My reason for wanting a cine zoom is just so I have something solid I can run in and grab a heap of shots without constantly switching between lenses too much. 

Ideally I want something starting around 16mm (18mm at worst) going to 100mm plus (but I'd even settle for as little as 50mm if the weight and price is suitably compact) which is T3 or better (although even T4 ish is completely fine if the price and weight is suitably compact in compensation), with a nice sized focus throw, & an aperture ring. Preferably I'd want this in PL or Nikon F mount (ideally swappable mounts!! Like CP.2 lenses are). 

Unfortunately nothing comes close to meeting this at a reasonable price! :-/ :-(

Except for: 

Fujinon 18-55mm T2.9 & Sony 18-110mm f/4 (or their older 18-105mm). But then you're stuck with E mount cameras! :-/

Or Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G & Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 & Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 & Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 & Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, but then you lose out on having an aperture ring. Plus at 50mm they're really the minimum length and the long end that I'd like to see on such a lens (however I really should just get one of these anyway, to complete my lens collection).  Oh, or there is the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 (bit slower than T4 at the long end though, and variably aperture makes it tricky to set constant exposure! I'd much prefer a 17-90mm f4 over this instead). 

I suspect (& hope!) Samyang will be the first to fill this missing hole I want filled, that I described above.

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This got me thinking, any one know what is the focus throw of the older original Tamron 17-50mm f2.8? (not the newer VC model)

I had one a long time ago. I remember it being pretty short. Maybe like 45 or 55 degrees at most.

I would love a 16mm starting zoom, but the low priced ones start from 18mm. Limited focus breathing and parfocalness are two of the most important advantages of those lenses, it took me a while to learn how to work with photo lenses, and still I am not comfortable with those.

The Sigma's seem to not meet the criteria of such a lens, and the 18-35 isn't enough (for me) for an all around cine/eng lens.

From what I read in various forums and reviews the Sony isn't on par with the aforementioned lenses in many ways. The previous 18-105 even less so.

For EF, the Canon seems to tick most boxes, 18-80 is quite useful and has all the electronic goodies of the new Canon cameras. Yes, it isn't one of the great Canon cine lenses, but it seems alright for 18.000$ less than the next one!

The Angenieux is a dream, and can become a full frame lens, but it really exceeds my budget, even the servo motor costs as much as the Fuji(!) I have to stretch to reach the Canon as it is already...

Fuji's seems really interesting, lack completely a servo, which is mandatory in my opinion for such a lens (I heard a lot of criticism about the Sony's pz functionality). but it is 2.75f and 18-55, very well made and light, the price is right and all the reviews are loving it. It also has macro functionality, which is great to have for the 1% of the time that you need some macro, and that really counts (weddings, docu work).  Despite all those goods0, I read on some forum that recalled the first 60 or something that made, because of a manufacturing fault. Just saying.

As it is, for C100/300 the Canon seems the best, and for Sony the Fuji, and I hope for a cheap-o external motor to do the job.

As I use more Canon cameras, the Tokina 11-16, or similar cine zoom, the 18-80 and maybe a 135mm prime can be all I need for a long time!

Still waiting for the NAB announcements in lenses, and hopefully cameras.

I am really considering selling most of my lenses and stuff I have and invest on one of those, I believe that it would be a worthy upgrade.