I'm shooting YouTube content with my 1DC and CONTAX lenses

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It truly is fascinating how literally a 14 second moment in my video stirs so much adversity. The fact that scripture can cause that type of response is truly remarkable.

I was not planning on this post to be about these issues, it was merely a post about my YouTube content and the gear I used to capture it. I honestly forgot the scripture was even in the video. I am glad it's there. It's unique. and its me. 

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

It truly is fascinating how literally a 14 second moment in my video stirs so much adversity. The fact that scripture can cause that type of response is truly remarkable.

I was not planning on this post to be about these issues, it was merely a post about my YouTube content and the gear I used to capture it. I honestly forgot the scripture was even in the video. I am glad it's there. It's unique. and its me. 

Is your goal to help people heal, to help unify people to be kind and work together for the collective good? If so, how will this experience change how you create your content? If you know directly quoting scripture will turn some people off, will you do it anyway 'because it's me', or will you have empathy for others and change it into a non-divisive form to help them remember the kindness and helpful knowledge you are sharing?

41 minutes ago, jcs said:

Is your goal to help people heal, to help unify people to be kind and work together for the collective good? If so, how will this experience change how you create your content? If you know directly quoting scripture will turn some people off, will you do it anyway 'because it's me', or will you have empathy for others and change it into a non-divisive form to help them remember the kindness and helpful knowledge you are sharing?

Of course I will continue to do it. Without the gospel there is no point to do anything. 

Ive heard this metaphor before and i think it's a great thing to think about for all beliefs. 

"If you truly believed that the building you were in was to set fire, wouldn't you want to tell everyone in that building to get out!" 

I truly believe everything that the Bible teaches and so I'm going to share that with everyone in everything I do until I die. That's what I'm called to do. 

Again, if you don't want it, please don't watch my videos.

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Hey Dave,

If you want to recite scripture then go for it.  Your approach is your artistic quality.  I enjoyed your scripture reciting.  It is unfortunate how people get so offended so quickly.  “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”  Now, if you were on a crowded elevator and started to rip some juicy wet ones, then I'd think it would be fair for people to take offence unless they passed gas first.  Keep at it with your videos.  Cheers.

4 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I am perfectly fine with being blatantly Christian. I'm sorry if it offends.

FWIW, I'm always okay with people expressing themselves.  While I tend to have a different view on things from, say, a fundamentalist evangelical, doesn't mean I'm offended by hearing someone else's POV.  Not in the least.  I live in a country with very dogmatic and puritanical opinions about stuff that I personally think often retard the advancement of a healthier society.  However, having a thin skin about my fellow citizens that think so would be ridiculous. 

For instance, hate speech from a racist can be ugly, but I'd rather those that feel that way express themselves openly so I know who the dickheads are.  I figure one either embraces all expression or not.  It's not like some things should be cherry picked.

By all means, do what you want.  We're born in a time and place that allows it.  Be grateful for that.  Most people throughout history never got that opportunity.

4 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

My idea is that the "niché" within a "niché" will payoff in the long run.

I would agree with that.  It seems to me that's the direction of things overall.

Of course I will continue to do it. Without the gospel there is no point to do anything. 

Ive heard this metaphor before and i think it's a great thing to think about for all beliefs. 

"If you truly believed that the building you were in was to set fire, wouldn't you want to tell everyone in that building to get out!" 

I truly believe everything that the Bible teaches and so I'm going to share that with everyone in everything I do until I die. That's what I'm called to do. 

Again, if you don't want it, please don't watch my videos.

The Bible doesn't teach anything by itself. Jesus said 'don't worship me, worship God' (Revelation 22:9). Yet many worship him anyways (same thing for Buddha). The original concept of God has been equally distorted for politics and control. God wasn't meant to be a 'vengeful/emotional' anthropomorphic being. Metaphors were used to try to describe difficult concepts. However they've been misinterpreted to fit the model of a patriarchal power structure. Jesus wasn't The son of God- he was A son of God, as we are all children of God. And in essence, we are all God co-creating reality together- that's what they really meant. This concept isn't even religious- it's obvious by itself, ipso facto. Jesus was killed to maintain a political power structure. And when I say Jesus, I mean all the different equivalent forms too which existed long before Jesus, for example Horus. Again, not focusing on the person, only the ideas, which are what's really important. People get distracted fighting over the source(s) and forget the truth in what was said (which everyone pretty much agrees with).

The information recorded in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and New Testament is meant to help people. When people focus on 'The Bible' and who said it as Primary Importance, therein lies a fundamental misunderstanding of the original purpose of The Bible and similar religious documents. If everyone simply focused on the original intention of the scriptures for the big 3 religions, and not the books themselves, the people who spoke, and the associated religions and political systems, then people from all 3 religions would have a chance at consensus and agreement (actually all religions and atheists too). If you truly want to follow Jesus' teachings, why wouldn't you want to help unite everyone on Earth, and do whatever it takes to do so?

The fire metaphor is a good one- let's add to it. You can yell fire in a certain way that only 1/4 the people will understand, and 3/4 of the rest of the people will die. You have the option to yell fire where all the people can be saved, yet it will require a small sacrifice in your personal political group, possibly against your ego, possibly with financial loss. How will you yell fire? 

I haven't asked you to do anything, only asked you questions.

Including the slavery, genocide, sexism, misogyny, condemning of homosexuality, and human sacrifice?

51 minutes ago, jcs said:

The Bible doesn't teach anything by itself. Jesus said 'don't worship me, worship God' (Revelation 22:9). Yet many worship him anyways (same thing for Buddha). The original concept of God has been equally distorted for politics and control. God wasn't meant to be a 'vengeful/emotional' anthropomorphic being. Metaphors were used to try to describe difficult concepts. However they've been misinterpreted to fit the model of a patriarchal power structure. Jesus wasn't The son of God- he was A son of God, as we are all children of God. And in essence, we are all God co-creating reality together- that's what they really meant. This concept isn't even religious- it's obvious by itself, ipso facto. Jesus was killed to maintain a political power structure. And when I say Jesus, I mean all the different equivalent forms too which existed long before Jesus, for example Horus. Again, not focusing on the person, only the ideas, which are what's really important. People get distracted fighting over the source(s) and forget the truth in what was said (which everyone pretty much agrees with).

The information recorded in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and New Testament is meant to help people  

Rev22 is speaking if an angel of the lord, not Jesus. He freely accepted worship in 

“And they that were in the boat worshipped him, saying, Of a truth you are the Son of God” (Mt. 14:33).

The  Jews killed him for claiming to be God. “You, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33).

And the Bible isnt meant to help people in some earthly way. Everyone of the apostles suffered horrible deaths and so did most of the early church. And they knew it would happen because its a promise that the world will hate the truth. 

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Opinions based on factual evidence.

So they're not really opinions then, just factoids, or factets or something rather than being interpretations or applications of evidence? 

Personally, I find the hyper sensitivity to religious belief entirely narcissistic and more in common with the old atheistic soviet union or present day North Korea. Here in South Auckland if one doesn't appreciate and accommodate for theistic, pantheistic, and atheistic religious expression you'll be very out of place. Mind you some people get very upset with B&H Photo and refuse to shop there. The problem is with them of course, not B&H. 

Far more helpful would be some direction on where to put such content within videos, or helpful notes like that. For example, if you walk into a whare the religious greeting goes first, at the local Repco Auto Supplies it would probably come a bit later or just be a picture on the wall. 

1 hour ago, Matthew19 said:

Rev22 is speaking if an angel of the lord, not Jesus. He freely accepted worship in 

“And they that were in the boat worshipped him, saying, Of a truth you are the Son of God” (Mt. 14:33).

The  Jews killed him for claiming to be God. “You, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33).

And the Bible isnt meant to help people in some earthly way. Everyone of the apostles suffered horrible deaths and so did most of the early church. And they knew it would happen because its a promise that the world will hate the truth. 

You're right, I simply took the first google hit and the context was left out. This illustrates an important point about religious documents: people can find and interpret things in many different ways. Here's a Catholic discussion asking the same question, did Jesus say to worship him or not: https://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=546343. The question is answered both ways, depending on the poster's point of view. Jesus did claim to be the Son of God, however we're all children of God, so that's not a directive that we should worship each other. Respecting and being kind to each other generally makes people happy.

The Jews killed Jesus so he'd be the only "Son of God" for political reasons of power, so no one else would realize they too, are a child of God. Alan Watts discusses it here:

Nothing in The Bible is meant to help people in Earthly ways? The reason you give is because the apostles died terrible deaths- wow does that logic work? All the sermons in church where parables and anecdotes (and the 10 commandments) are given to help people deal with their daily, Earthly lives is for what other purpose? From what I've seen the main purpose of most readers of The Bible (and all religions) is a tool to help deal with life on Earth, as one exists In the Now. The concepts of the after life and heaven are tools used to comfort people in dealing with their own certain death and death of loved ones while on Earth.

In any case, what's important are the concepts, which are repeated, borrowed, copied and reused in all religions. The conflicts arise when people focus on their religion, their people, their book, as the only way. If one doesn't agree, they are 'bad' and bad things happen to them. Is that the kindness Jesus spoke of? The Golden Rule from the Hebrew Bible?

56 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

So they're not really opinions then, just factoids, or factets or something rather than being interpretations or applications of evidence? 

Personally, I find the hyper sensitivity to religious belief entirely narcissistic and more in common with the old atheistic soviet union or present day North Korea. Here in South Auckland if one doesn't appreciate and accommodate for theistic, pantheistic, and atheistic religious expression you'll be very out of place. Mind you some people get very upset with B&H Photo and refuse to shop there. The problem is with them of course, not B&H. 

Far more helpful would be some direction on where to put such content within videos, or helpful notes like that. For example, if you walk into a whare the religious greeting goes first, at the local Repco Auto Supplies it would probably come a bit later or just be a picture on the wall. 

Far from being hypersensitive, but I would find it inappropriate for any reviewer to take out 1/2 a minute, a minute or however long while discussing a product to make a political, cultural or religious statement, whether I agreed with the sentiment or not. Just as I would find it equally bizarre during a sermon, for the pastor to start making camera gear recommendations. Which is probably why, to the best of my knowledge, all online reviewers abstain from voicing their social, political or religious affiliations. I would also think it extraordinarily unusual and not a little disturbing if a restaurant or movie critic, a book reviewer or a music critic inserted scripture in the middle of their writing, be it in a magazine, newspaper or journal. My own father converted to Catholicism when he remarried, and for the twenty or so years that I visited him, not once did he or my stepmother bring up the subject of religion or suggest I go to church - had they done so, yes, I would have felt very uncomfortable in their home. And I don't think that a customary greeting in South Auckland is synonymous with prozyletizing.

31 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Far from being hypersensitive, but I would find it inappropriate for any reviewer to take out 1/2 a minute, a minute or however long while discussing a product to make a political, cultural or religious statement, whether I agreed with the sentiment or not. 

True true. Anyway, it seems I have totally forgotten to add such a piece to my Piha video just uploading. No way am I trying that 12 hour encode again! Flicker Free is so intensive :p I quite like the way Smarter Every Day does he thing. He just adds some text at the end of each video. I forgot that too. So self important just ended up adding my own name. That reminds me, some of the feedback from another video I shot but didn't edit "Nowell" was the awkwardness of having a 5 second shot of the church cross in the middle of the Christian music. And we actually agreed, just hadn't thought about it from a Sikh perspective. Which makes an important point about how having an important tale to tell is not the same as telling the tale as well as you can. Btw, I just realised that youtube specifically favours long videos for monetization now, not short ones. This reinforces bloated tech rambling. I ended up turning that off though.   

Hmm, really?? If we are going to turn this in to some Bible Packing, finger waving, my religion is better than yours crap, I hope this does not continue.

I have been involved in a couple of stupid ass religious bullshit wars, and one all about the money, that I don't need to see anymore horseshit, ergo people dying, happening in my lifetime. People tend to die in those for, no we are right, no you are wrong stuff, oh and it is all in the name of "our" God, How f-ing convenient!.

Nobody really knows who is right or wrong. We may find that out when we die, but then I doubt even then. I tend to think the vast majority of religion is just a way to control humanity. No God would let shit happen that I have seen and done in the name of God and country!! And that continues to this day, and will continue, because like I have said, there is some EVIL ass people in this world, has been, and will be..

I go by the old saying ,treat others like You would like to be treated. That is all the damn "religion" you ever need.

But religions are are part of life all around the world, nothing wrong with videos that show Church's, crosses, people participating,. It is reality. Just don't make it a way to convert people to what you believe is all I am asking. I am not too big on any of it anymore.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Hmm, really?? If we are going to turn this in to some Bible Packing, finger waving, my religion is better than yours crap, I hope this does not continue.

I have been involved in a couple of stupid ass religious bullshit wars, and one all about the money, that I don't need to see anymore horseshit, ergo people dying, happening in my lifetime. People tend to die in those for, no we are right, no you are wrong stuff, oh and it is all in the name of "our" God, How f-ing convenient!.

Nobody really knows who is right or wrong. We may find that out when we die, but then I doubt even then. I tend to think the vast majority of religion is just a way to control humanity. No God would let shit happen that I have seen and done in the name of God and country!! And that continues to this day, and will continue, because like I have said, there is some EVIL ass people in this world, has been, and will be..

I go by the old saying ,treat others like You would like to be treated. That is all the damn "religion" you ever need.

Well, we could try and keep responses a bit more restrained maybe, that would help. In terms of controlling humanity, it's quite arguable that State Atheism (and their view of god) has killed the most people in history. I totally agree with your last sentiment though! Reminds me of someone, not sure who. For some reasons I regularly treat others better than I treat myself. I'm pretty sure that's a fail. 

Well my first wife that died of cancer was a total wiz at history, had almost total recall, and traveled all over the world to experience places first hand. She had lots of degrees in it, and her conclusion, my experience in real life, was that there are really only 2 reasons wars are ever started, is because of Money or Religion. And a hell of a lot of them were because of both causes. And the 3 "encounters" I was involved in were because of those 2 reasons like I stated above. You can go back nearly to the beginning of time, and examine history and those two reasons stand out like a sore thumb.

So what i am saying is Religion is more of a damn problem than a cure. Like it or not it is the evil that it is trying to rid the other evil of. Don't drink the Kool Aide I guess is what I am saying. I will not say anymore good or bad about this subject. It comes to no good in the end. The old, do not discuss Religion or Politics applies for a reason...

42 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

For some reasons I regularly treat others better than I treat myself. I'm pretty sure that's a fail. 

Oh if we all could live a life where others feeling were paramount to our own, what a wonderful world it would be. I look back at my life then and now, and well, can't think of too many things I have done that has advanced society, unburdened others suffering, basically amounted to crap in the scheme of things.

But that is what 98% of most people have to write home to mother about in the end. Not much to be proud of other than maybe our very close family. Not too many Mother Theresa's in this world sad to say, but we all suffer the same fate. We are programed to look out for ourselves and those close to us we hopefully love. And it is what it is. Not going to change anytime soon sad to say, I doubt ever.