I'm shooting YouTube content with my 1DC and CONTAX lenses

Dave Maze

I have been diving into YouTube and am excited about putting out more and more content. My two cameras now are the Canon G7X II which I use for Vlogs and my Canon 1DC. I have a Love/Hate relationship with my 1DC. I really really wish I had autofocus but every time I look at the IQ I am so happy. Clog is what I shoot on and thats it. I have shot on the EOSHD flat profile and used the Canon EOS Utility app on my Mac to control focus and settings for studio stuff and that helps a bit (You can't use any autofocus while in Clog) By the way...the video below has "sharpening" in post. I put it on there but its too much. Going to tone it down next time. 

When I am fully operating the camera it is great! Especially at my full time job where I am creating YouTube content for someone else. Operating the camera is a breeze and with a Zacuto Gratical EVF on top I get all the video camera things I need like Waveform and Focus Peaking. My CONTAX Zeiss glass always looks so great. I am converting everything to 4K ProRes LT to save space and to run better. Its annoying but its ok. I just set it and let it run while I do other things at work. Im doing one video a week for Anthony ONeal and plan on continuing to use my 1DC for it. IDK what to do. Really want something with AF but also with a flip out screen that shoots 4K. Considering the GH5 but am waiting for NAB.. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, jonpais said:

You kind of lost me when you started reciting scripture. Then I started thinking how cool it would be if Max Yuryev and Detroit Borg quoted scripture before every product review. Not really.

Nobody quotes script to be cool, they do it to share the gospel with the lost. You just said he lost you when he read it, so it was meant for you.  Good for you Dave, nice review too!

17 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

Nobody quotes script to be cool, they do it to share the gospel with the lost. You just said he lost you when he read it, so it was meant for you.  Good for you Dave, nice review too!

I prefer my product reviews to be secular. 

2 hours ago, Kubrickian said:

What do I have to do to call myself a storyteller

Contaxes look good, what is your set? Did you build it on eBay? 

Tell story's of course! :)

thanks! I love em. 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2.8. They are all the nice small ones. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

Haha! Thanks man. 

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I prefer my product reviews to be secular. 

I'm sorry you didn't like it. But I'll continue to make them and will continue to be myself in them. 

6 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

"Thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men...

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret." - Matt. 6:5-6

7 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Tell story's of course! :)

thanks! I love em. 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2.8. They are all the nice small ones. 

Haha! Thanks man. 

I'm sorry you didn't like it. But I'll continue to make them and will continue to be myself in them. 

I'm not asking you not to be yourself. What I'm questioning is why your content must be exclusionary.

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

"Thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men...

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret." - Matt. 6:5-6

This has nothing to do with publicly praying in order to be praised. That's what the pharisees did. Jesus said this, but he also read and quoted scripture publicly. The two are clearly different, but I think you already know that. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm not asking you not to be yourself. What I'm questioning is why your content must be exclusionary.

How is quoting scripture exclusionary?

Not religious personally, but it didn't bother me.

1DC produces lovely skin tones, and the contrast/color on the C/Y Zeiss is so choice. Liked the edit and lighting too.

What exactly are you dissatisfied with in your current setup?

18 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

As do most, but religion is a niche market too.

Exactly. My demographic or "target market" is christian creatives. So I am perfectly fine with being blatantly Christian. Im sorry if it offends. If you don't like, don't watch my videos. 

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

How is quoting scripture exclusionary?

Not religious personally, but it didn't bother me.

1DC produces lovely skin tones, and the contrast/color on the C/Y Zeiss is so choice. Liked the edit and lighting too.

What exactly are you dissatisfied with in your current setup?

Thanks man! I just have been having troubles with staying locked in focus. Autofocus would help tremendously. 

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Seconded.

To each their own. My idea is that NOBODY is doing this. There are no "Christian" MKBHD or Philip Bloom's. My idea is that the "niché" within a "niché" will payoff in the long run. Plus if they are actually really good reviews, maybe people who aren't christians will see it and make them think a little bit about more than just tech or cameras. Im not trying to convert people. Just go a little deeper than just material things. Again, if you're offended by this...don't watch them. 

This site is built on opinion and we all come here for your opinion and review Andrew and I'm so thankful for it. Without that freedom we wouldnt have this place to share and discuss. 

The problem with religion and quoting 'scripture' from any source, is it is automatically exclusionary if the reader is from another faith, atheist, etc. An even bigger issue is much of the texts are taken literally when they don't really resemble what the original authors and prophetic visionaries wrote as metaphors, trying to put into words ideas that are hard to describe in normal human consciousness, especially anything related to God. There is a huge ego one-upmanship of who's religion is more correct, better, superior etc. Alan Watts discusses this in length (only 7 minutes, worth listening!):

Another issue is no one likes being told what to do, or preached to (unless one already believes the ideas, so why are people wasting time preaching to the converted?). The issue I had as a child with Christian and Jewish upbringing was the hypocrisy of the adults, and so I rejected it all at a very young age. Only after facing death a few times and life's many challenges did I start looking deeper beyond the surface layer of the reality distortion field of what runs on our current planetary civilization.

As a complex system of interacting consciousnesses, it's more efficient to share ideas of kindness after an interaction of unkindness, when it matters most, and is more likely to have a lasting effect. In entertainment and especially filmmaking, we can remind and reinforce these fundamental and universal truths, that we already know to be true, through storytelling ('parables'), through metaphors, through humor, but not through quoting scriptures or preaching in any way (was this post preaching ;) ?). Here's a great example of teaching, reminding, but not preaching. A powerful story, well worth watching (on Netflix):

People ask, what is my faith, my religion. My reply is observe how I act and treat others, not what I say I am.

23 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

This site is built on opinion and we all come here for your opinion and review Andrew and I'm so thankful for it. Without that freedom we wouldnt have this place to share and discuss. 

Opinions based on factual evidence.