No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Obviously, I have to stop down to get the sun stars, so I guess I should Iight my actor as well and bring down the mids in post to create the silhouette. Thanks Squig, never had to do silhouettes like this. 

I DGAF about a bit of noise either, I usually add some. Noise on the Mk3 is quite organic up to 1600 ISO. I usually only get rid of the chroma noise in ACR. If I find I have to remove luma noise it's because I've underexposed. The only rule is: do some tests.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, squig said:

I DGAF about a bit of noise either, I usually add some. Noise on the Mk3 is quite organic up to 1600 ISO. I usually only get rid of the chroma noise in ACR. If I find I have to remove luma noise it's because I've underexposed. The only rule is: do some tests.

Yeah I am only having issues with chroma noise. 

Btw, do you like ACR better than Resolve? I use FCPX and only use Resolve as an intermediary to get to ProRes... but if I remember correctly, you can't export as ProRes in Adobe any longer, right?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah I am only having issues with chroma noise. 

Btw, do you like ACR better than Resolve? I use FCPX and only use Resolve as an intermediary to get to ProRes... but if I remember correctly, you can't export as ProRes in Adobe any longer, right?

Resolve is way faster than AE/ACR, but ACR produces a nicer image. AE CS6 is way faster than CC2017 (Adobe disabled multiprocessing in CC2015) and it exports to prores. I don't have the full version of Resolve so I can't say whether it's better or worse at removing chroma noise than ACR.

1 hour ago, SigurdW said:

Finally managed to get my head around processing crop_rec material, so did a small test at around 2.7K mastered in 3.4K Anamorphic

Setup:

5D3
Helios 44M
Bolex-Anamorphot 32/16/1.5x

Graded using @hyalinejim Kodak Ektar 100D TWISTED lut (Thanks!!).

Looks great. That little extra resolution is nice. Somebody wrote a while back that 5D3 ML Raw just makes them smile... and it's so true.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, mercer said:

I thought I'd resurrect this topic since I am still shooting on my trusty 5D3. Here's a frame from a web promo I shot last week...

90BF0CC8-37DF-4731-B1B9-300BF617F3B6.thumb.jpeg.8439cc80c5a77b82f135d262c8f1e4bf.jpeg

interesting, who was the promo for?

I have been tempted several times to the 5D MK3, just got a sigma FP tho. I feel like they are similar cameras. 

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

...and you did it pretty well, that's what doctor has prescribed to this community and this is great outcome BTW, kudos to you Glenn and your labour :- )

Thanks Emmanuel, click the image and you'll see a more accurate representation of the final image.

46 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

interesting, who was the promo for?

I have been tempted several times to the 5D MK3, just got a sigma FP tho. I feel like they are similar cameras. 

It's for the 11th Hour Audio Challenge. It's a 30 day challenge to produce an audio drama in honor of World Audio Drama Day. It's run by a couple friends of mine and the actor came up with a cool concept, so we shot it very quickly last week. It was fun, I got to use a fog machine and shoot day for night.

I keep saying the FP will be my next camera. How do you like it? I agree they're similar in some ways. But like BTM said, the FP could be the true successor of the OG Pocket. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Thanks Emmanuel, click the image and you'll see a more accurate representation of the final image.

It's for the 11th Hour Audio Challenge. It's a 30 day challenge to produce an audio drama in honor of World Audio Drama Day. It's run by a couple friends of mine and the actor came up with a cool concept, so we shot it very quickly last week. It was fun, I got to use a fog machine and shoot day for night.

I keep saying the FP will be my next camera. How do you like it? I agree they're similar in some ways. But like BTM said, the FP could be the true successor of the OG Pocket. 

I had one shortly but I fried it using a bad dummy battery to D-tap cable. I wasn't going to buy one again but I recently had the need for a small gimbal camera so once again I purchased the FP. This one has the tilt screen mode as well as a custom made SSD module, which makes it a super compact setup. 

Using the FP one of my big complaints was the lack of a tilt screen, so this new setup will address that as well as managing the somewhat awkward T5 ssd setup I had before. Dual ISO is very helpful, the color from the FP looks really nice after running it through resolve. It would definitely be nice if there was a way to color manage the dng footage in premiere. But hey it's a really inexpensive camera so I can't complain too much. 

s-l16004.jpeg

s-l16003.jpeg

s-l16005.jpeg

I captured a post film screening interview last night between the director and his mom who is one of the first Black filmmakers in Canada... nothing prepared ahead of time just a capture of the moment for his family archives. I seriously considered pulling out the 5D MKIII to pair with my R5C but ended up going with the R5C and 1DC bcuz the second shooter wasn't familiar with ML. The R5C's footage was obviously great but the DPAF struggled at times to keep focus on the director's mom - and while it was happening, all I could think was maybe I should've just stuck with my trusty 5D MKIII/1DC combo. All that to say my relationship with the R5C has been kind meh so far (altho the image and cinema options in essentially a 1DC sized body once u add the grip are great!) - but the biggest takeaway I've had so far is that now more than ever, I know I will never sell my 5D MKIII. 

9 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

I captured a post film screening interview last night between the director and his mom who is one of the first Black filmmakers in Canada... nothing prepared ahead of time just a capture of the moment for his family archives. I seriously considered pulling out the 5D MKIII to pair with my R5C but ended up going with the R5C and 1DC bcuz the second shooter wasn't familiar with ML. The R5C's footage was obviously great but the DPAF struggled at times to keep focus on the director's mom - and while it was happening, all I could think was maybe I should've just stuck with my trusty 5D MKIII/1DC combo. All that to say my relationship with the R5C has been kind meh so far (altho the image and cinema options in essentially a 1DC sized body once u add the grip are great!) - but the biggest takeaway I've had so far is that now more than ever, I know I will never sell my 5D MKIII. 

Damn that is a strong testament to the 5D MK3. Full frame 14 bit RAW is still compelling in 2022. 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, Ty Harper said:

I think you own every camera I love (5d3) or drool over (R5C & 1DC. If you get a Komodo and an FP, then I'll really be jealous. For now, I still love my 5D!

4 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Would love to hear about the wrong moments although it doesn't seem to have affected the final piece much - great job!

Thanks Ty, I appreciate that! So... basically we had an hour to set up and an hour to shoot, but when I got there I realized the only place that could work, where we shot, had a house just behind the trees. Even though I was shooting day for night...

0D942014-E40B-45FD-89A5-083E09BE2F15.thumb.jpeg.0891c19af2be4af0e85e481dff9a52fa.jpeg

I wasn't sure I could darken it enough, so we hung a sheet in the gap...

FC2D5604-4600-45E2-8147-2316BEE85C52.thumb.jpeg.09f74f958cddaa7140015ffc38ae0f15.jpeg

In post, I really had to crush the blacks to make the sheet disappear. I brought a couple lights, knowing that if I lit his face enough, then I would have some leeway, but to the left of frame, there's a ballpark, so a lot of light was bleeding into the frame and overexposing the shot. I tried a couple different lenses, but nothing looked right, so I bumped up my ISO a touch and stopped down the lens a bit to counteract the background light while still having enough light on his face. This probably wasn't a great idea either because it made my depth of field too wide... if I had opened up the lens, I probably could have had the background disappear more...

I also constructed a poor man's chiller box to keep the fog low to the ground, but the wind was whipping across the ball field and pushed the fog quickly out of frame. So we spent some time waiting on the fog machine or repositioning it to counteract the wind. And then the airplanes and landscapers showed up...

Haha...

In post, I really had to pull up the midtones and it made his skin, in the wide shots, a little flatter than I'd like. Luckily, we had enough with the atmospheric fog and there were enough clear dialogue takes to get an edit... but I had to use two different wide angle shots... which I don't love.

But all in all... for about an hour of shooting, I think it turned out pretty cool!

Sorry for the long reply.