No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Great advice too, you and Hyalinejim saved my ass with part 1 of my short shoot. What batteries do you use? I have the original Canon battery and it lasted almost the entire first day of shooting, but the Wasabi 3rd Party batteries I bought drain pretty damn quick. Any suggestions?

I've got 4 Canon batteries and a dummy Canon battery to Sony NP-F plate.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Nice! Are you keeping your Micro/BMCC? Planning a new feature with ML Raw?

yeah, keeping it all. bought this 5D3 for $1600 from a woman in venice ca that says she bought it to vlog with, but barely used it since purchasing it 4 months ago. came with 3 canon batts. not a mark on it. still *smells* new. today, I need to downgrade the firmware. CF card arrives tomorrow. primarily wanted this to go with a set of Contax Zeiss lenses I'm having modded with fixed 2x oval apertures because full frame mimics the field of view once would expect shooting actual 2x anamorphic.

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

I use the Tamron 24-70 2.8 for 95% of the time. But I'm doing documentary, not narrative. It's good quality, good value, and has IS.

I was interested in the Tamron, but went with the Canon 24-70 f4... the IS is tripod steady. As you know, it's like a point & shoot Raw cinema camera now with the Raw histogram and ETTR hint. 

36 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

yeah, keeping it all. bought this 5D3 for $1600 from a woman in venice ca that says she bought it to vlog with, but barely used it since purchasing it 4 months ago. came with 3 canon batts. not a mark on it. still *smells* new. today, I need to downgrade the firmware. CF card arrives tomorrow. primarily wanted this to go with a set of Contax Zeiss lenses I'm having modded with fixed 2x oval apertures because full frame mimics the field of view once would expect shooting actual 2x anamorphic.

I was looking at some Contax Zeiss lenses this morning. But I think I'm just going to continue to grow my Nikkor set. The oval disks do sound pretty damn cool though. Is Rich doing that for you? I do think I want to start another set of manual lenses though. Maybe Leica R. Or maybe I'll go old school with some Taks and Helios.

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was looking at some Contax Zeiss lenses this morning. But I think I'm just going to continue to grow my Nikkor set. The oval disks do sound pretty damn cool though. Is Rich doing that for you? I do think I want to start another set of manual lenses though. Maybe Leica R. Or maybe I'll go old school with some Taks and Helios.

no, i asked him first but he's too busy.

16 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Lol I saw that on craigslist I think.

13 hours ago, mercer said:

Has there been any movement with ML Raw on the 80D? Canon is selling refurbed 80Ds with the 18-55mm for $829. Could be a great b-cam with DPAF ML Raw. 

Can't see it happening anytime soon; looks like a1ex is focused on the Mk3 for now. But he mentioned recently that he was putting a few hours a week into digic 6 development.

5 hours ago, squig said:

Can't see it happening anytime soon; looks like a1ex is focused on the Mk3 for now. But he mentioned recently that he was putting a few hours a week into digic 6 development.

Good to know, thanks. Not worth the risk then.

Stupid question to more advanced ML Raw users... can I change the WB and ISO using the 5D3's physical buttons, or do I have to go through the ML menu?

And gradual exposure... on or off. I'm mostly using the 24-70mm f/4 lens if that matters? Also does it matter if I am shooting with a manual lens?

15 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

well, what can I say... shooting full frame raw has ruined me for other cameras. and mercer, you're right. the blackmagic LUTs for their 4k sensor are looking pretty good at first blush. I like v2 in particular.

Once you had a black...

23 hours ago, mercer said:

Stupid question to more advanced ML Raw users... can I change the WB and ISO using the 5D3's physical buttons, or do I have to go through the ML menu?

And gradual exposure... on or off. I'm mostly using the 24-70mm f/4 lens if that matters? Also does it matter if I am shooting with a manual lens?

Physical buttons work. I have NFI what gradual exposure is, I drive stick.

23 hours ago, mercer said:

Also, with digital ISO, it states you get better highlight roll off with -0, if true, does it introduce more noise?

I haven't really noticed any improvement, or a noise hit. I keep it on its lowest setting because I want to believe.

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

well, what can I say... shooting full frame raw has ruined me for other cameras. and mercer, you're right. the blackmagic LUTs for their 4k sensor are looking pretty good at first blush. I like v2 in particular.

Yeah it's really something else. I also like Arri LUTS with it too, but I've been using them at 50% as a finishing LUT. It seems to crank up some shiny contrast within the textures... if that makes sense...

On 28/04/2017 at 1:49 PM, Bioskop.Inc said:

Really wish that I had the cash to buy one right now, but need a new computer so.....

Just going to hold tight & wait for the prices to drop - i'll just have to learn to be green with envy!

I'm in the same boat, bought a new computer so I can edit more, will have to wait till end of year or so. I keep seeing 5Diiis going for great prices back here in AUS and I just hope that this new ML developments don't push the prices up... hopefully I get an even better deal by years end. 5Diii solves a lot of issues for me needing a great photo and video camera to travel with in the one package. I have 7D now and love the Raw so can only image the 5D looks amazing.

1 hour ago, squig said:

Physical buttons work. I have NFI what gradual exposure is, I drive stick.

I haven't really noticed any improvement, or a noise hit. I keep it on its lowest setting because I want to believe.

Yeah, I drive stick as well but I don't remember turning it on, so I wasn't sure if it is a default option for a reason. I think I'll do the same... thanks Squig.