No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

So the max the sensor can give... around 12 stop and all of it rather nice thanks to 14bit RAW.

Would be cool to see someone test if dual_iso module works with this.

I remember seeing a test yield 15 stops of useable DR.

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Ok, now that I've updated to Sierra, I have been able to format the card as ExFat and for some reason all of the glitches in the clips are gone... except for an occasional singular loud beep that appears in the audio. I remember my old eos-m occasionally did it too. Question about formatting exfat though... I read that it works best if you reformat in camera first and then reformat as ExFat in the computer... is that true? 

How do you use fine tuning to get an exact 180 degree shutter? The best I can get is 172 degrees at 1/50. Also, when I set FPS to exact in FPS override, it causes my liveview to stutter and not show real time preview? 

Nevermind... I figured it all out... having brain fart moments. For some reason since it reads "(from 24)" I thought you had to subtract from 24 to get to 23.976... duh. I vaguely remember having to do that with the 50D... but that camera was a different ML experience since it "never" had video on the released model. Anyway, I'm good now, thanks for your help. 

You format exfat in the computer first, that wipes ALL the data on the card. Then copy the ML files to the card. Then run firmware update from the Canon menu to make the card bootable. NEVER FORMAT YOUR ML CARD IN CAMERA, IT WILL BE FORMATTED FAT32.

Movie> Image fine-tuning> shutter fine-tuning +0.89ms = 1/48 shutter

Make sure live view is set correctly:  Movie> Raw video> Preview options> Canon

Turn off [beep] in the Canon menu and the ML menu (NFI if this helps, but it can't hurt)

Only load the modules you need, and only turn on the global draw functions you need.

6 hours ago, andrgl said:

Would be cool to see someone test if dual_iso module works with this.

I remember seeing a test yield 15 stops of useable DR.

dual ISO introduces some nasty aliasing in video mode, way too much for my liking. Good for photo mode.

28 minutes ago, squig said:

You format exfat in the computer first, that wipes ALL the data on the card. Then copy the ML files to the card. Then run firmware update from the Canon menu to make the card bootable. NEVER FORMAT YOUR ML CARD IN CAMERA, IT WILL BE FORMATTED FAT32.

Movie> Image fine-tuning> shutter fine-tuning +0.89ms = 1/48 shutter

Make sure live view is set correctly:  Movie> Raw video> Preview options> Canon

Turn off [beep] in the Canon menu and the ML menu (NFI if this helps, but it can't hurt)

Only load the modules you need, and only turn on the global draw functions you need.

Even the SD card that holds the ML files? On the ML site it says to format in camera first and then transfer the ML files onto the card and then update firmware.

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Even the SD card that holds the ML files? On the ML site it says to format in camera first and then transfer the ML files onto the card and then update firmware.

It's OK on the SD card as long as you're not using it to record video. I think those ML instructions date back to the pre-exfat days. I don't regularly reformat my cards, I just offload the files and reuse the cards.

31 minutes ago, squig said:

It's OK on the SD card as long as you're not using it to record video. I think those ML instructions date back to the pre-exfat days. I don't regularly reformat my cards, I just offload the files and reuse the cards.

Thanks, good to know I don't have to reformat every single time. I'm so used to doing that I just assumed it was necessary. 

Was on a makeup shoot the yesterday and decided to test how well I could use the 3K Raw mode on a job. The primary camera was the C100MK2 and after I captured the main shots I broke out the 5DMK3 to experiment.  I captured about an hour worth of footage in 3K.  Resolutions higher than HD are not recommended on productions until the liveview is fixed.  You can only effectively shoot static shots or shots that move but stay within a fixed depth of field range as the choppy grey/color liveview is nearly impossible to use to follow focus on moving subjects.  

1 hour ago, jpfilmz said:

Was on a makeup shoot the yesterday and decided to test how well I could use the 3K Raw mode on a job. The primary camera was the C100MK2 and after I captured the main shots I broke out the 5DMK3 to experiment.  I captured about an hour worth of footage in 3K.  Resolutions higher than HD are not recommended on productions until the liveview is fixed.  You can only effectively shoot static shots or shots that move but stay within a fixed depth of field range as the choppy grey/color liveview is nearly impossible to use to follow focus on moving subjects.  

Thanks for keeping us updated. The mjl forum can be daunting for non tech people just getting interested in it. It's hard to figure out the nomenclature. Would be great to know when or if ever this will be ready for production by having a usable live view, playback functions and hdmi out monitoring for resolutions around 3k. She looks nice in your video. Besides Arri some of these down res 3k are the best 2k images I've seen on the internet. Pretty unbelievable for a five year old camera you can get used for under 2 grand.

5 hours ago, jpfilmz said:

What was your resolution setup...lol this motivated me to go out and test the 4k resolutions.  

That's not my footage. I got some downtime these days and started looking into cameras for b footage and personal bts stuff. I was waiting to buy the gh5 or a c100 ii and then got second thoughts with this news of the 5d iii. I like the image but waiting to see if they can sort out the liveview, playback and hdmi monitoring at least for 3k.

I been trying to follow the progress on ml forum, but it's hard to understand what they're talking about between liveview, frozen lv, hacked preview, preview auto, preview real time, zoomed real time preview, framing preview, ugh. I tried searching terms like hacked preview and the only result I get is the post where I read it. I can't tell if they are being fast and loose with these terms which describe one or two things or it's really this convoluted. I'm not really a tech person, so even though I think the images are great, I'm concerned using the camera and the workflow is actually even more confusing than what I'm reading.

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

I been trying to follow the progress on ml forum, but it's hard to understand what they're talking about between liveview, frozen lv, hacked preview, preview auto, preview real time, zoomed real time preview, framing preview, ugh

lol same

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

I'm concerned using the camera and the workflow is actually even more confusing than what I'm reading

i swear if you start doing ml all that forum stuff will make waaay more sense

i havent gotten into the higher res modes yet but once they get live view worked out i bet itll be easy

the only problem with ml raw video is that the image is so satisfying it immediately leads to the real question: What am I going to SHOOT? ?

59 minutes ago, kaylee said:

lol same

i swear if you start doing ml all that forum stuff will make waaay more sense

i havent gotten into the higher res modes yet but once they get live view worked out i bet itll be easy

the only problem with ml raw video is that the image is so satisfying it immediately leads to the real question: What am I going to SHOOT? ?

Ain't that the truth. On Part 1 of my short shoot, after we shot at the ferry and the docks, I was bummed because I was afraid the interior motel stuff, where the majority of the story takes place, wouldn't live up to the imagery of the opening sequence... it probably won't. 

Man all these awesome footages... I am really having a hard time trying to decide if I want to get the GH5 or the Mark 3 with ML.  What would you guys get?

I wish there was a GH5 vs Mark 3 ML raw 14bit comparison somewhere.

All the Mark 3 footage looks spectacular and it may be due to the footages being shot by more professionals compared to the footages shot by GH5 users who are more non-professionals.  I have seen some GH5 stuff that are really good, but it seems most are just vloggers or casual enthusiasts doing camera tests that they post up on youtube or vimeo.

Anyways, it would be really great if there was such a comparison video of the two cameras.