No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but has anyone contacted the Magic Lantern hacker(s) to see if they could add RAW to the NX1?

The NX1 beats every other body at hijacking threads, but joking aside, there were tests showing that the NX1 can't write the fastest UHS-II cards at more than 60MB/s, so it's not ideal for RAW recording.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:39 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hey Merce!

That Tokina shines on aps-c and S35 size and boosted m43. Did a few tests at 24 f2.8, slight vignetting but still nice center sharpness, great

enough for beautiful filming. At 40mm a little tad darker across the frame than at 24. But across lengths still nice uniform look. So

it is my 3 primes in one, plus some extra at 40:) Love the build and its gestalt! Its very beautiful to look at.

Since you love yours on s35 size I´d suggest getting a G7 or GX80 again. Didnt like the manual focusing nor

the haptical feel of the LX100 lens, when I checked a few times in the stores. EVF is small too like GX80.

cheers and enjoy that beautiful 5diii as we will enjoy more of your videos coming! :)

Hey Marty, here's another grab from 1080p 5D3 Raw with the Tokina 24-40mm...

IMG_0981.JPG

Sorry to the rest for the OT but I also kinda wanted to bump this thread... I need me some 4K ML Raw...

36 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey mercer, we need you to show off more of that 5D3 3K Raw with the Tokina 24 40 now, but in motion! :)

Hope you getting a Panasonic again one day:)

Thanks but that's not 3K Raw. Just 1080p. I haven't tested the 3K Raw yet... YET! I did shoot a test for my short next week, but also on 1080p and with my new Canon 24-70mm f/4 lens. I'll send you the link in a PM because I don't want to keep bogging down this thread with regular ML Raw.

This shooter is getting "3.5k 60fps 8 bit 60mbit/sec"...

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/2028d73f6f34dcdaaa4c241824e538d0e0e47267#Lmodules/mlv_lite/mlv_lite.cF2996T3033

8-14bit lossless...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7db1izytkj3zj/8_10_12bitslossless_samples.zip?dl=0

GutterPump from magiclantern forum provides dng for 8, 10, 12bit lossless

I will say I had a few issues with the files from this test. There were some black flashes in some of the video files and the audio went in and out. I am hoping it's the exfat issue. I updated my computer to Sierra and I think I may put ML on a different SD card as well. I'll also probably keep a spare SD card with the ML files on it in my camera bag, just in case something goes haywire in the field. I edited around it for the test but a lot of great clips were ruined. I also had audio go in and out and a high pitch beep appear in some of the shots as well?

Has anyone else experienced any of this? Could it be a setting problem or the fact that I haven't been able to format my cards as ExFat in ElCapitan? 

I am so happy with the footage I've been getting that I really need to figure this out. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I will say I had a few issues with the files from this test. There were some black flashes in some of the video files and the audio went in and out. I am hoping it's the exfat issue. I updated my computer to Sierra and I think I may put ML on a different SD card as well. I'll also probably keep a spare SD card with the ML files on it in my camera bag, just in case something goes haywire in the field. I edited around it for the test but a lot of great clips were ruined. I also had audio go in and out and a high pitch beep appear in some of the shots as well?

Has anyone else experienced any of this? Could it be a setting problem or the fact that I haven't been able to format my cards as ExFat in ElCapitan? 

I am so happy with the footage I've been getting that I really need to figure this out. 

The image quality of that profile shot of the actor is amazing. So much nuance to his skin tone. Looks like it was shot on a high end camera.

4 minutes ago, squig said:

Nope, never. Is it happening on recordings under 4Gb?

What's the date of the build you're using?

Well, it only stopped recording once with the recording limit warning asking me if my card is formatted as ExFat.

Can using a card not formatted as ExFat cause any other issue other than recording length?

I'm using the March 30th builds. I just noticed the issues. I was planning on doing more research tomorrow, just thought it might be a common issue.

The only thing I can think of is, even though I could not format the card as ExFat, I did erase the files on my computer with my previous tests... whereas with this test I reformatted in camera. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, it only stopped recording once with the recording limit warning asking me if my card is formatted as ExFat.

Can using a card not formatted as ExFat cause any other issue other than recording length?

I'm using the March 30th builds. I just noticed the issues. I was planning on doing more research tomorrow, just thought it might be a common issue.

The only thing I can think of is, even though I could not format the card as ExFat, I did erase the files on my computer with my previous tests... whereas with this test I reformatted in camera. 

I don't think it can.  It should only limit you to 4GB clips. 

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

If the card's not formatted exfat you can only write up to 4Gb per recording. Best to format your cards exfat to determine whether that's the issue. I'm still using yosemite as my main system, exfat formatting works.

Alternatively, you could try an earlier build.

11 hours ago, squig said:

If the card's not formatted exfat you can only write up to 4Gb per recording. Best to format your cards exfat to determine whether that's the issue. I'm still using yosemite as my main system, exfat formatting works.

Alternatively, you could try an earlier build.

Ok, now that I've updated to Sierra, I have been able to format the card as ExFat and for some reason all of the glitches in the clips are gone... except for an occasional singular loud beep that appears in the audio. I remember my old eos-m occasionally did it too. Question about formatting exfat though... I read that it works best if you reformat in camera first and then reformat as ExFat in the computer... is that true? 

On 4/3/2017 at 7:31 PM, squig said:

You've used ML on the 50D so it shouldn't be a problem. Use the raw histogram and the ETTR hint. I have my LCD brightness 1 notch from the minimum setting which gives a good exposure preview for ETTR shooting. You can use shutter fine tuning to get a 180 degree shutter. Set FPS to exact. If you're using an external monitor you may have to switch the camera on before you turn on the monitor.

How do you use fine tuning to get an exact 180 degree shutter? The best I can get is 172 degrees at 1/50. Also, when I set FPS to exact in FPS override, it causes my liveview to stutter and not show real time preview? 

Nevermind... I figured it all out... having brain fart moments. For some reason since it reads "(from 24)" I thought you had to subtract from 24 to get to 23.976... duh. I vaguely remember having to do that with the 50D... but that camera was a different ML experience since it "never" had video on the released model. Anyway, I'm good now, thanks for your help.