No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't wanna sound like i'm moaning... but is there a reason the HFR modes aren't being tested, is it not implemented yet?

Keep up the good work guys, I have a bid on a 5Diii as we speak, I have regretted selling my 5Diii to get an A7s for some time now and this has pushed me to sell the Sony and get back on board!

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

I don't wanna sound like i'm moaning... but is there a reason the HFR modes aren't being tested, is it not implemented yet?

They are being tested, but they're quite buggy. I sold my A7s too, the MK3 raw is so much better.

i'm shooting on super 16mm which I love and is really beautiful and unique ( which I recommend everyone to try to incorporate in their work flow and shooting assignments for fun or professionally)

my digital experience professionally is working with cameras like alexa..and I think people will even be selling their high end cameras with this new development at ML

On 4/4/2017 at 3:16 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Why is 1.1.3 better?

Sorry for my late response Andrew, from ML web site, here are the reasons behind it:

Most important changes in 1.2.3 since 1.1.3 (source):
- clean HDMI out
- dual monitor support
- AF at f/8 with teleconverters
- fixed an AFMA bug
- a bunch of minor fixes

Unfortunately, in order to implement the dual monitor feature, Canon made some major changes on the display side (changed some low-level registers) and LiveView implementation (which is now quad-buffered, while on 1.1.3 it's triple-buffered, just like in all other ML-enabled cameras). From ML's point of view, this resulted in the following differences:

- 1.1.3 is slightly faster when recording RAW/MLV (not much, only a few MB/s)
- fast zebras are not working on 1.2.3 or later, but they are OK on 1.1.3
- no full-screen magic zoom on 1.2.3 or later
- no brightness/contrast/saturation adjutments on 1.2.3 or later
- "DIGIC peaking" is a little more limited on 1.2.3 or later (only the basic mode is working, not the ones with fancy backgrounds)
- motion detection in "frame difference" mode does not work on 1.2.3 or later
- I'm not sure if corrupted frames are still an issue (if you experience them, try downgrading to 1.1.3)

Other than that, the two ML versions are pretty much identical.

7 hours ago, SlanderShot said:

Here a small test :

3009 x 1280@24p (upscale to 4k) + 14 bits lossless = continuous shooting.

I used the new ML Cinelog-C to Ektar 100 LANDSCAPE lut of @hyalinejim

Graded in Davinci Resolve 12.5, edited in Premiere.

Looks nice. Are you getting full live-view with this setting? Also, is hdmi out monitoring possible with raw above hd resolution?

28 minutes ago, SlanderShot said:

Thanks you @mercer and @Hanriverprod. I get the good resolution for framing, but it's a mix and grayscale and colored preview (still not easy with this preview and hope the ML team will find something more comfy). I don't tried yet hdmi monitoring.

I'm itching to pick one up, but I think I'll wait to see if this live-view gets sorted out. For production work, the hdmi monitoring needs to work as well. It just needs to be above around 2.8k 2:4 I think to down res nice to 2k with a workable crop.