No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

Sorry for a slight off topic, but bear with me. As some may have read, I recently purchased a 5D3 to shoot ML Raw. I am nowhere near proficient enough with it to start testing the new 4K builds, but I am enjoying the camera immensely and since the new ML achievements may see an increase of 5D3 sales, I thought I would share my very first ML test video, so newcomers, like me, can see what they can expect if they decide to shoot Raw on the 5D3.

This video was shot in 2:35, so it is technically not even Full HD at 1920x810. I also processed the files with the most basic conversion using ML Raw Viewer. They were transferred to ProRes as Log-C. I then brought the files into FCPX for a cut, color and render to Vimeo.

I have found that the 16bit color is insane and I had to re upload the video a couple times because it was so saturated with a gradient of colors just not possible with the 8bit cameras I've been used to.

Anyway, here it is...

As most probably know, I am not the greatest colorist, I am practicing but it does not come naturally to me, so I am sure some of you guys would do a much better job correcting/grading this footage.

Also, I really wish all TVs, computers and phones were standardized and the saturation couldn't be changed... but oh well, we do our best.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, mercer said:

I tend to like more muted colors, but for the people who prefer some saturation, here is one of my first versions of the video with more saturation. On my computer and phone this looks decent, but on my TV it is nuclear... so YMMV...

Some very nice shots in there.

58 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Love the sound! Did you make those recordings?

Thanks but no, the music is a piece called Anxiety by Kevin McCleod and the wind sound is generic "Cave Wind" sound from FCPX.

38 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Looks great! I prefer the desaturated/natural look, more cinematic if less immediately attention-grabbing.

Yeah I agree, but people have different tastes so I wanted them to see a more saturated version too. I just recently started saturating/desaturating my lows/mids/highs separately to help control which range of colors pop, but since this was just a test I did it quickly. 

38 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Some very nice shots in there.

Thanks Nikkor, I used the Nikkor 35mm f/2... isn't that one of your more recent purchases? Great lens on FF!!!

I took some shots, which aren't in that video, with my favorite manual zoom, the Tokina 24-40mm f/2.8. And although I love that lens on aps-c, on FF it's meh. Crazy to finally see the difference FF sensor size has on lenses.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I tend to like more muted colors, but for the people who prefer some saturation, here is one of my first versions of the video with more saturation. On my computer and phone this looks decent, but on my TV it is nuclear... so YMMV...

Great shots, merce!

0.46-0.50 is my favorite shot, beautiful wide shot. Always lovin your composition, photographic eye! Colors are beautiful. Awesome work!

When I read your vimeo text, I was cheering: Just bought the Tokina 24-40 2.8 myself. Cannot wait to get it into my hands this weekend!

Still got my GX80, easy to grade, really fun to get nice colors out of it. Just the EVF is a pain, giving me a headache immediately, no

matter if refresh rate is maxed out in the menu. Bought a G7 as well. Haven´t used it yet.

With right grade it is very nice what GX80 can do i low light with ISO 1250. Would say, better than ISO 800 on G6.

Wow, writing about Pannys again. Sorry. Just having a little conversation with you, my friend:)

Cheers

PS. Would you post some 24-40 shots as well? What sensor crop did you shoot the video above? Did you

shoot with ND or higher shutter(-stutter:)?

Cheers :)

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Nice video @mercer it look really good, my favorite part is at 1:29, the sky shines…..certainly you made the right decision going 5d3 route!!!

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Great shots, merce!

0.46-0.50 is my favorite shot, beautiful wide shot. Always lovin your composition, photographic eye! Colors are beautiful. Awesome work!

When I read your vimeo text, I was cheering: Just bought the Tokina 24-40 2.8 myself. Cannot wait to get it into my hands this weekend!

Still got my GX80, easy to grade, really fun to get nice colors out of it. Just the EVF is a pain, giving me a headache immediately, no

matter if refresh rate is maxed out in the menu. Bought a G7 as well. Haven´t used it yet.

With right grade it is very nice what GX80 can do i low light with ISO 1250. Would say, better than ISO 800 on G6.

Wow, writing about Pannys again. Sorry. Just having a little conversation with you, my friend:)

Cheers

PS. Would you post some 24-40 shots as well? What sensor crop did you shoot the video above? Did you

shoot with ND or higher shutter(-stutter:)?

Cheers :)

Thank Marty! I shot all of that with no crop, wide open, with ND, except for the last shot. I closed the lens down to 5.6 but still used the ND.

That Tokina lens seriously is one of my favorite lenses, but it is perfect on aps-c not as perfect on FF. I don't really have any 5D3 shots with that lens on my phone but I'll send you a link of that lens on my old NX500. I may have a couple shots of it on my D5500. I'll check. 

I love Panasonic cameras but this was probably my favorite camera purchase. I just love that thick, Raw look. But I am still looking for a pocket camera, so I may end up buying an LX100 this summer. That little camera definitely has some mojo.

3 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Nice video @mercer it look really good, my favorite part is at 1:29, the sky shines…..certainly you made the right decision going 5d3 route!!!

Thanks hijodeibn. After only a couple days with the 5D3 I couldn't be happier. From a new user standpoint, I can only imagine what 4K Raw will look like. And as soon as I am done these couple shorts I have in the works, I am hell bent on finding out. 

21 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

looks great! that 3K mode looks sharper then the original 1920*1080p RAW footage. What are your thoughts? Could you do a comparison of the 1920*1080p vs 3K/4K to see what I am missing(as I sold mine).

Thanks!

I just find the footage, but I think it looks pretty great, the resolution and color of 3k downscaled to 2k is unreal compared to the hd raw I see online. If they can make it stable and workable I would shoot a feature on this.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:22 PM, mercer said:

Looks absolutely lovely. Something about the 5D raw gives me the warm fuzzies haha

19 hours ago, mercer said:

That Tokina lens seriously is one of my favorite lenses, but it is perfect on aps-c not as perfect on FF. I don't really have any 5D3 shots with that lens on my phone but I'll send you a link of that lens on my old NX500. I may have a couple shots of it on my D5500. I'll check. 

I love Panasonic cameras but this was probably my favorite camera purchase. I just love that thick, Raw look. But I am still looking for a pocket camera, so I may end up buying an LX100 this summer. That little camera definitely has some mojo.

Hey Merce!

That Tokina shines on aps-c and S35 size and boosted m43. Did a few tests at 24 f2.8, slight vignetting but still nice center sharpness, great

enough for beautiful filming. At 40mm a little tad darker across the frame than at 24. But across lengths still nice uniform look. So

it is my 3 primes in one, plus some extra at 40:) Love the build and its gestalt! Its very beautiful to look at.

Since you love yours on s35 size I´d suggest getting a G7 or GX80 again. Didnt like the manual focusing nor

the haptical feel of the LX100 lens, when I checked a few times in the stores. EVF is small too like GX80.

cheers and enjoy that beautiful 5diii as we will enjoy more of your videos coming! :)