No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

1 hour ago, mercer said:

So far, soo awesome. Sure there's a learning curve, but it really is no big deal once you get used to the workflow. Here's a screengrab from my very first shot with it...

IMG_0970.JPG

It looks very good @mercer, how many minutes of continue recording are you getting?, and which CF card are you using?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks. Not horrible for a first attempt. Do you mean how many minutes of raw can I get on a cf card? Or do you mean how long will it continuously record? If you mean the former, on a 64GB card I think you get around 12 minutes. If you mean the latter... then continuous...

And I am using a Lexar 1066 160MB card. 

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks. Not horrible for a first attempt. Do you mean how many minutes of raw can I get on a cf card? Or do you mean how long will it continuously record? If you mean the former, on a 64GB card I think you get around 12 minutes. If you mean the latter... then continuous...

And I am using a Lexar 1066 160MB card. 

Lexar is the way to go then, 12 minutes continuos is more than ok, like using 400 ft in a 16mm camera….any frame drop?

Here's a test I did 3 years ago with ML and the 5D3 w/ 24-105 F4L (1080p). Handheld using a simple rig and Kamerar QV-1 viewfinder. Wanted to see how well I could crash zoom and manual focus while walking around. Processed in AE and ACR (some color shifts, but looked OK to me overall). There's something special about the 5D3. I might do a test comparing to 1DX II to see if there's something with the color.

4 minutes ago, jcs said:

Here's a test I did 3 years ago with ML and the 5D3 w/ 24-105 F4L (1080p). Handheld using a simple rig and Kamerar QV-1 viewfinder. Wanted to see how well I could crash zoom and manual focus while walking around. Processed in AE and ACR (some color shifts, but looked OK to me overall). There's something special about the 5D3. I might do a test comparing to 1DX II to see if there's something with the color.

Looks nice. What I like about the footage I have seen from it is that although there is definite canon color mojo there, it also has a hint of Alexa to it. 

14 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Lexar is the way to go then, 12 minutes continuos is more than ok, like using 400 ft in a 16mm camera….any frame drop?

Only because I was stupid and forgot to set the CF card as the recording card, so the raw was being recorded to the sd card instead... constant frame drops. Once I got my head out of my ass, it's been smooth sailing. No issues whatsoever. Also when I was shooting with the 50D, I would get max between 65MB and 70MB but usually closer to 60MB. With the M3, I'm easily getter in the 90s.

I think Andrew said he is getting his 5D3 back tomorrow, so you may just get your wish. 

Also, I decided to process some of the clips through MLRawViewer and even though it took forever, I processed them as Arri Log-C and with a simple Arri LUT it looked great. 

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think Andrew said he is getting his 5D3 back tomorrow, so you may just get your wish. 

Also, I decided to process some of the clips through MLRawViewer and even though it took forever, I processed them as Arri Log-C and with a simple Arri LUT it looked great. 

ohhhhhh (jaw dropping)……didn`t know you can do that…..this is really, really interesting……if only DPAF could be added…..by the way, can you send through the mini-hdmi port a signal to an external monitor?, of course using ML.

It's still a bit early, but might be a good idea to eventually start a sub forum here for ML video - as we have with the Samsung hack, especially if these two new developments (lossless RAW compression and the new crop mode) get ported to other Canon models. I installed ML on a second hand 5DII I bought a couple of years ago the first day I had it, so can't wait for a nightly with this new stuff to appear at some point for that older camera. I was thinking about buying a VAF filter for it to ease moire, but probably won't bother now with 1:1 recording. Unlike Canon's own EF-S lenses, I know that my Canon-fit Tamron 18-50mm does not clash with the 5DII mirror, so some of the independent crop lenses might be a good format match-up for ML crop video.