No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, squig said:

Thanks finally I can see what I've been recording an it is awesome.  Here is a sample dng file below a screenshot:
Crop Mode: 3K 1:1
Raw Video: 3072x1152 @2.67:1
14-bit lossless

Screenshot of Sample DNG
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 12.13.32 AM.png

Sample DNG
M02-1203_000000.dng

• Super Members
7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

No, it's because 1DC has dual processor. It makes it a lot harder so they said

Maybe so, but I cant remember any camera ever being hacked until there was a firmware update file available.

No such file has ever been released for the 1DC.

At least so they said.

21 minutes ago, tweak said:

What's the upper limit now for Anamorphic ratios like 4:3 or 5:4?

You can record around 3.3K scope: 2272x1364 with a 1.5x anamorphic lens; maybe a little higher, but best to leave some headroom for the lossless compression.

Around 2.7-2.8K is looking like the ballpark for sustained 2.39:1 24p 14bit lossless shooting with a 2.05-2.1x crop. Higher than that isn't repeatable 100% of the time in my tests.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Before the 14bit RAW with ML was pixel binned 1080p

This is like cropping a full res RAW still, 1:1 pixel readout

It is not just going to step up the sharpness and detail.... The dynamic range and noise performance should improve as well.

Astounding work.

You should mention in your article that there's no CF card that's fast enough to record 4K 24p 14bit lossless, somebody might buy a 5D Mk3 thinking they can. The highest resolution I can record continuously is 3.3K 2.39:1, but continuous doesn't mean endlessly repeatable. The lossless compression needs a bit of headroom, so 2.7-2.8K is a more realistic repeatable recording target. I don't know what the situation is with lossless compression for 10 and 12bit, that would certainly get us closer to 4K.

1 hour ago, squig said:

You should mention in your article that there's no CF card that's fast enough to record 4K 24p 14bit lossless, somebody might buy a 5D Mk3 thinking they can. The highest resolution I can record continuously is 3.3K 2.39:1, but continuous doesn't mean endlessly repeatable. The lossless compression needs a bit of headroom, so 2.7-2.8K is a more realistic repeatable recording target. I don't know what the situation is with lossless compression for 10 and 12bit, that would certainly get us closer to 4K.

Has anyone determined if faster write speeds are possible using the latest uhs-2 SD cards such as those from Sony claiming 300MBps write? Two of these cards could be installed in our 5d3's, and one could assume there's a bottleneck somewhere, but perhaps it could give the bump we need to be writing compressed 4k raw?

15 minutes ago, Tai Klyce said:

Has anyone determined if faster write speeds are possible using the latest uhs-2 SD cards such as those from Sony claiming 300MBps write? Two of these cards could be installed in our 5d3's, and one could assume there's a bottleneck somewhere, but perhaps it could give the bump we need to be writing compressed 4k raw?

The 5d3 doesn't have UHS-II support, write speeds are far slower than the CF slot. Even the best SD cards are hardware limited to about 21 MB/s.

12 hours ago, mercer said:

Damn Jim, that looks amazing, effing epic. 

Damn, why did you sell your 5D3? That Tokyo footage you shot is some of the nicest 5D3 footage I've seen and it put the camera on my radar. 

Haha thanks, well cause I needed to save up money for a ursa mini pro :) (so I sold all my camera's). But now this makes me reconsider, maybe ill buy a 5d iii again prices will probaly drop soon with the log release of the 5d iv

4 hours ago, squig said:

You can record around 3.3K scope: 2272x1364 with a 1.5x anamorphic lens; maybe a little higher, but best to leave some headroom for the lossless compression.

But that's almost 8:5, what about 4:3 resolution? Is 1364 the max height?

• Administrators

Max height is 1920 but of course depends on bit depth and card speeds

Still some questions for you early mavericks out there -

Does the lossless 58% JPEG compression mode work in 3K and 4K?

How's the quality of 3840×1600 at 10bit? Any DNGs to share?

39 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Too bad you cannot use EF-S lenses on the 5D.(as with most EF-S lenses you will hit the mirror, so wideangles is a small bit harder to get by for this hack).  

You can pop the plastic back off to make most EF-S lenses fit the 5D and 1D C. I have used the 18-135mm EF-S on my 1D X Mark II with no issues.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Max height is 1920 but of course depends on bit depth and card speeds

Still some questions for you early mavericks out there -

Does the lossless 58% JPEG compression mode work in 3K and 4K?

How's the quality of 3840×1600 at 10bit? Any DNGs to share?

You can pop the plastic back off to make most EF-S lenses fit the 5D and 1D C. I have used the 18-135mm EF-S on my 1D X Mark II with no issues.

The lossless compression isn't a fixed ratio, it varies; the highest I've seen it is 51%, the lowest was about 80%.

The way it works is you have to go into the crop mode menu to select the sensor crop, 3K, UHD, etc, then you have to go into the regular raw video menu to select the resolution you want to record. 10bit @ 2.7K 2.39:1 is around 90MB/s, roughly the same as 14bit lossless. As I said, there is no 4K 24p recording, just a 4K sensor crop which no available CF card can record, the media is just too slow to write that much data. I've recorded up to 3.3K 2.39:1, but because the compression size varies you can't expect to record every single shot at 3.3K. I'm trying to figure out what resolution it will do 95-100% of the time, so far around 2.7K 2.39:1 24p with a 2.1x crop is pretty solid.

8 hours ago, squig said:

@hyalinejim did you shoot that with the 1st or 2nd build?

OK, I'm pretty sure that the variable compression is due to ISO. In crop_rec 3K (3072 x 1286 ) I can get continuous recording at ISO 100, but if I whack the ISO up to 6400 I get eleven seconds. Can you check if it's the same for you?