GH5 Cages

Orangenz

Too old to resuscitate the thread? I hope not...

I just got an GH5s, and was thinking on getting a cage to mount a microphone (Rode VideoMicro), attach the Zoom H1 if needed on interviews and maybe a Liliputh monithor (in the future).

I have doubts about getting a specific cage for the GH5, or a generic one. I know the specific will suit very well, and I love the new SmallRig for GH5 (model 2050 with the top handle). But if I choose a generic one, maybe I can keep it if I switch cameras in the future (although I upgraded from a GH4 to the GH5s, so it won't be soon).

Regarding prices, both are pretty similar (15€ cheaper the SmallRig on Amazon Spain). Yeah, my budget is shitty, but after the upgrade I got dry :(

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-gh5-cage-with-top-handle-2050.html

https://www.camvate.com/camvate-dual-use-adjustable-cage-kit-universal_p1726.html

Any thoughts?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Normally I am not a big fan of cages for small cameras anyways. Big Cine cameras, well yeah, the bigger the better. But on a small camera like the GH5s if I buy a cage it is going to fit like a glove or I don't want it.

I have some SmallRig stuff myself and I think it is all a bit overpriced for their ultimate quality. It is good but not great. But that expandable one with the wooden handles looks like it might be very hard to beat for the money. I may get one myself. I say go for it. If it is half decent quality, and it looks like it is, I can see it working for a lot of different cameras down the line.

Here is a Link to the USA Amazon, in the 4 Star comments there is a picture of a GH5 on the cage among others. That 4.8 is a damn good rating for Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B076P89BQ7/ref=acr_dpx_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&showViewpoints=0

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Normally I am not a big fan of cages for small cameras anyways. Big Cine cameras, well yeah, the bigger the better. But on a small camera like the GH5s if I buy a cage it is going to fit like a glove or I don't want it.

I totally agree with you. But sometimes I had to work with customers that looked at the GH4 with distrust, like such a small camera wasn't a professional tool, unable of the amazing images it captures.

So for most of my job I will have the camera handheld, but sometimes I have to put it on a tripod, with lots of gadgets around so it looks more pro... ?‍♂️

Thanks for you opinion! 

58ccc0b1c238c_IMG_10351.thumb.JPG.8b4c1f124cebcc32347839ef40211a01.JPG                      Yeah it helps to look Professional.  Top one was one of my rigs with the Panasonic AF100A. I live in small College town and when I would take it up to the main streets I had 50 offers of people wanting in my Movie LoL.  Bottom one is There is a Sony A7s in there someplace!5ac90a6eeffda_rigfromhell.thumb.jpg.dfa88dfae7daaf78102585ed0b6dc7b7.jpg