Jvc GY-Ls300 finally gets 4:2:2 4k and other gifts!

Alt Shoo

@Kisaha

better use a FS700 first before commit. It is definitely NOT an ENG camera.

For sure, but with if you mount it on a appropriate rig and use it with a IS-E-mount lens, it's definetly usable on your shoulder. It will not be stabilized like a modern shoulder camcorder, but it works. I tested also the La-EA2 adapter with a A-Mount lens, the AF worked impecably without hunting (because of the used phase detection) and I was though wondering about the good AF of a that "ancient" camera. AF and spot focus ("tap to focus") worked too (with E-lens --> only contrast AF), though they were tested by daylight in contrasty scenes...So, not bad for requirement Nr. 1 - quick jobs, many times as one man band...

With 13000euros you can buy 4 and a half LS300s in Greece!

Yeah, the LS300 is at the end of the day much cheaper than a FS700-package (FS700 + 7Q+), BUT it has no RAW option...And I'd like to get in using RAW...

@IronFilm

Is this footage comparison online?

Sorry, no, IronFilm...It was HIS footage, not mine. This cameraman is just an long time and very experienced Cinealta user and an excellent grader, not only with Sony footage. I was simply impressed by the RAW quality and his "quick grade". I just was very happy to see the work of an experienced pro...Not that I would believe, I could do the same after 2 days of use, but he will help me to get in (S-LOG x shooting, grading, etc.), if I buy the FS700 + 7Q+...I'm aware of the fact, that the RAW S-Log shooting and post are much work for me to learn and get used to...

• 3 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/21/2017 at 4:15 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Well, well, well...

I have just managed to buy an absolutely mint condition used LS300 for just under £2K and will take delivery of it next week. 

I'm mildly excited at this development.

How are you finding it, now you've been shooting with it for a while?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'm mainly finding it staring at me saying "why aren't you using me?" unfortunately.

The intention was to use it for the tournament assignment I've just done but it took a complete backseat to the stills work to the extent that it and all its supporting gear actually got shipped back home midway through as it was becoming a logistical burden hauling it round with me!

I've got the new firmware on it at least so as soon as I've had this little holiday it will be getting put to work for the new season so watch this space.

What I can say from all the testing I've done with it is that the sheer versatility of this thing in using native MFT, B4, PL, Canon AF, Contax Zeiss, M42 and Nikon lenses is that you'll get no arguments from me about what mount Panasonic have missed a trick not putting on the EVA ;) 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

What I can say from all the testing I've done with it is that the sheer versatility of this thing in using native MFT, B4, PL, Canon AF, Contax Zeiss, M42 and Nikon lenses is that you'll get no arguments from me about what mount Panasonic have missed a trick not putting on the EVA ;) 

Wish I could like this more than once! :-( 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I know you didn't ask me... but I've been using this camera since December and love it. Since then I've had like 3 upgrades, which is a great sign. Obviously this 422 one is the best and you can really tell.

I also regularly use an FS5, and honestly, I prefer working with the JVC. 

I think it's mostly due to the lens we have on the FS5, it's VERY slow to zoom and although it's not very wide aperture, quite hard to nail focus. Even with peaking is can often be slightly off. On the LS300, we often have the Sigma 18-35, and at 1.8 it's easier to lock on... most likely user error on my part, because logically that doesn't make sense, but that's just how I find it. Maybe the peaking is more accurate? Because of those lens limitations, the LS300 footage always looks a lot nicer with an interview, but isn't so practical with a moving subject... but that's where other lenses come in. The people who own the FS5 I use refuse to put anything other than Sony glass on it - so it's very limiting.

Then there's things like the LCD. It feels very dangerous on the FS5 - there's nowhere for it to tuck in safely, so if you're pulling the camera in and out of a bag all day, I fear it's going to get damaged very quickly. JVC tucks in neatly and safely. Sure it's not the same build quality, but I'd rather have a working one that isn't great, then a fantastic but broken LCD. I'm looking at it for composition and focus peaking only. Zebras and histogram tell me the rest and the screen can be any resolution for those to work.

There are a few other things, but those are my main concerns. 

Thinking about it though, maybe I should clarify - I prefer shooting on the LS300 setup I use compared to the FS5 setup I use. maybe if the tables were turned and I had an annoying lens on the JVC but a great one on the FS5, I'd be the other way around...

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

The people who own the FS5 I use refuse to put anything other than Sony glass on it - so it's very limiting.

Well that SUCKS! Boo them. 

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Thinking about it though, maybe I should clarify - I prefer shooting on the LS300 setup I use compared to the FS5 setup I use. maybe if the tables were turned and I had an annoying lens on the JVC but a great one on the FS5, I'd be the other way around...

That indeed sounds like what it is. 

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Indeed.

For some reason, most manufacturers (and many shooters) can't comprehend the incredible advantages of starting with a shallow lens mount on the camera.  All that is needed after that is smart adapters (perhaps with some customization).

5 minutes ago, tupp said:

Indeed.

For some reason, most manufacturers (and many shooters) can't comprehend the incredible advantages of starting with a shallow lens mount on the camera.  All that is needed after that is smart adapters (perhaps with some customization).

I can't speak to why Panasonic went with an EF mount, but the large flange distance on DSLR-type mounts is a necessity for the mirror. Maybe after canon (and nikon) actually figure out a mirrorless system that keeps all the advantages of their pro bodies they'll start pumping out professional lenses in their EFM and it will get widespread adoption as a mount option.

But... adapting EFM to E or MFT would be impossible... So I'm perfectly happy with how things are, being able to speedboost high quality EF lenses :)

1 minute ago, tupp said:

[cough] Nikkor lenses [cough, cough] Zeiss lenses [cough] Leica lenses [cough, cough] FD lenses [cough]

Lol I just meant one reason we have so many great choices of lenses for long-flange mounts which can be adapted/speedboosted is precisely because of the prevalence of canikon DSLRs with these huge flanges. Once that changes, it may actually slow production of relatively inexpensive EF/NF mount lenses as they all focus on EFM, E, MFT, etc.

• Super Members

One thing you do have to watch out for when attaching every lens in the known world ( ;) ) to this thing is ND wheel.

Because it protrudes forward of the mount, attaching lens adapters which have a tripod foot on them requires taking the tripod foot off. In the case of the Metabones smart EF booster, which someone at the factory must have used the tyre gun from an F1 team to bolt it on with, this involved me having to take a hacksaw to it. No, really.

With the Aputure Lens Regain, you have to be really careful removing the foot and then replacing it when its on the camera as it contains some flimsy wiring.

6 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

I can't speak to why Panasonic went with an EF mount, but the large flange distance on DSLR-type mounts is a necessity for the mirror. Maybe after canon (and nikon) actually figure out a mirrorless system that keeps all the advantages of their pro bodies they'll start pumping out professional lenses in their EFM and it will get widespread adoption as a mount option.

But... adapting EFM to E or MFT would be impossible... So I'm perfectly happy with how things are, being able to speedboost high quality EF lenses :)

Video cameras never need the long flange distance, as they don't ever use a mirror.

5 hours ago, tupp said:

[cough] Nikkor lenses [cough, cough] Zeiss lenses [cough] Leica lenses [cough, cough] FD lenses [cough]

Exactly! Buy Nikon over Canon lenses.

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Video cameras never need the long flange distance, as they don't ever use a mirror.

Wait, so the mirror ISN'T flapping up and down 24 times a second on video cameras?

;)

Pretty sure you missed the point of the posts, my man: I was saying that the large-flange EF mount being used on video cameras is a result of the widespread popularity of EF lenses on Canon DSLRs, which need the room for the mirror.

Hey guys. This is a bit off topic but I was so wondering if anyone has used the zoom rocker for focusing on the LS 300? This seems like a game changer for me. If this feature is as good as I hope it is it can be a serious backup for autofocus in case some lenses don't have great AF. I know the zoom rocker can be programmed for servo, CAN, and focus. How well does it work with the native MFT lenses? 

I'm a run an gun wedding filmmaker and this would seriously push me to get this camera esp if jvc  plans to make a successor.  I'm coming from sonny mirrorless apsc and I'm tired of the lack of Video focused features and ergonomics 

Someone HELP!!!