Jvc GY-Ls300 finally gets 4:2:2 4k and other gifts!

Alt Shoo

If it adds 10 bit, then it will be called FS7 mark II, and will be sold for 9.999$ in B&H! (and it will have e-ND too!)

I still haven't figure out completely the J-log procedure, the noise in the shadowy parts are insane.

If anyone here cares, it would be super-duper to explain the procedure in detail.

Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If it adds 10 bit, then it will be called FS7 mark II, and will be sold for 9.999$ in B&H! (and it will have e-ND too!)

The sensor doesn't have the same dynamic range as the FS7 though, so it wouldn't really be that equivalent :)

@Justin Bacle I was exaggerating of course! Also there its slow motion capabilities are almost a joke (this is the main disadvantage), but it is a 2986euros (including 24% Vat) in my country and the FS7ii is 12.300euros, FS5 is 6700euros double the price and some.. After a couple of substantial firmware upgrades this little camera is worth to be considered in many peoples buying lists.

The specs are there for the JVC Gyls300 to capture great footage and make a high quality film. The FS7 and especially the FS5 isn't that far off, if at all, from the JVC. People are stuck with the contemporaries and I get it , but don't forget Sony was once considered laughable. The price is right and the capabilities are beyond he price of this cinema camera. In regards to slow motion, I find it very usable, so I'm not sure what exactly is meant. 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@Justin Bacle I was exaggerating of course! Also there its slow motion capabilities are almost a joke (this is the main disadvantage), but it is a 2986euros (including 24% Vat) in my country and the FS7ii is 12.300euros, FS5 is 6700euros double the price and some.. After a couple of substantial firmware upgrades this little camera is worth to be considered in many peoples buying lists.

Too bad the price is still at 3600€ in France (including taxes) while it is at 2600$ in the US :s 

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

It was €2800 when I got it last year. It was a EU wide sale. Might come again.

What happened to yours Mattias, still using it?

Have any advice about J-log? Still can't make it work, too much noise on the dark areas, even with 400ISO

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What happened to yours Mattias, still using it?

Have any advice about J-log? Still can't make it work, too much noise on the dark areas, even with 400ISO

No I dont have it. I dont have any personal video gear. Decided to switch jobs after 7.5 years as a producer. At the new place I will also shoot a lot of video. So no need to do that as a hobby anymore. Will rent for personal docs and such.

For jlog I just ETTR. That usually fixed it. And if there still is a bit of noise is ok with me.

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

No I dont have it. I dont have any personal video gear. Decided to switch jobs after 7.5 years as a producer. At the new place I will also shoot a lot of video. So no need to do that as a hobby anymore. Will rent for personal docs and such.

For jlog I just ETTR. That usually fixed it. And if there still is a bit of noise is ok with me.

Working full time at company instead of freelancing?

I still have my own gear for the occasional interesting projects, but sold most of them since I just use company's gear most of the time after I started working full time.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, ntblowz said:

Working full time at company instead of freelancing?

I still have my own gear for the occasional interesting projects, but sold most of them since I just use company's gear most of the time.

Ive always worked fulltime for companies or governmental agencies. Any freelance Ive done has always been for the fun of it.

All my stuff and the YouTube have been for personal projects and to keep my shooting and technical "know how" up to speed. Ive never "needed" to use personal gear for work. Even if I sometimes have because it was good stuff :)

I will still have a camera for stills and what not. But lately I haven't owned any good video shooter since they arent very good with stills. An xt2 would be nice but the xt1 is just far to affordable.

Any who, went a bit OT there.

If anyone is thinking about the LS300 all I can say is that its a great camera.

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If anyone is thinking about the LS300 all I can say is that its a great camera.

I agree that the Ls300 is a great camera! Idk why some individuals say negative things about it and the specs are very similar to the FS5? I understand it's a JVC, but I remember there's was a time when Sony wasn't considered an option. 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Alt Shoo said:

I agree that the Ls300 is a great camera! Idk why some individuals say negative things about it and the specs are very similar to the FS5? I understand it's a JVC, but I remember there's was a time when Sony wasn't considered an option. 

To be fare, like all cameras including the fs5 there are some negatives that one should identify to be able to work around them.

But when you do you get a hell of bang for the buck.

4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

To be fare, like all cameras including the fs5 there are some negatives that one should identify to be able to work around them.

But when you do you get a hell of bang for the buck.

Most definitely that's true. I'm curious, what was your perspective on the negative aspects of the Ls300? I think the body could have had a more durable feeling to it. I also think that JVC should have prepared for 10 bit and RAW capabilities. 

On 09/04/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mattias Burling said:

It was €2800 when I got it last year. It was a EU wide sale. Might come again.

Great news :) 

It seems that the cheaper way to get it now it to buy it from Adorama's ebay seller page. Which worries me a bit about the waranty.

Anyway, I asked JVC about trying it out first :)

I couldn't find the ebay listing, but there is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-LS300-CHE-/132148473346?hash=item1ec4a9ae02:g:zoEAAOSwjDZYliPT

Spain is just a few hours away from France, and it has a lens and a stabilizing system, just do a quite small offer (something like 1999euros!) and wait to see if you can grab a bargain. In most cases ebay is very protective with buyers, but you always have to be careful on line.