Jvc GY-Ls300 finally gets 4:2:2 4k and other gifts!

Alt Shoo

???4K????????????????GY-LS300CH????????4K/60p?????? | JVC

This cinema camera keeps on giving and giving. It's definitely a super contender now!

Via Google translate:

Business use 4K memory card camera recorder "GY-LS300CH"
About 4K / 60p correspondence by function enhancement

Enable external output of ~ 4K / 60p signal, realize recording solution compatible with 4K broadcast standard ~
Go to product information page
"GY-LS 300 CH"

JVC KENWOOD Corporation implements function enhancement by upgrading the version of "GY-LS 300 CH" for commercial use 4K memory card camera recorder currently on sale from JVC brand.
With this function enhancement, it is possible to output a frame rate 60p signal at 4K shooting, and in combination with the corresponding recorder, it will realize operation as a recording system compatible with the mainstream 4K broadcast standard for broadcasting business in the future .
In addition, this version upgrade is available by downloading the firmware "Version 4.0" (released from May 29 th) from our website and (free of charge) and installing it on the camera body.

Additional function by upgrading "GY-LS 300 CH"

Operation of recording system linked with external recorder is realized by adding external output of 4K / 60p signal corresponding to 1.4K broadcast standard

"GY-LS 300 CH" currently on sale has gained popularity as a camera system for 4K / 30p recording, but by applying this firmware, domestic broadcasting company companies set it as the standard of 4K broadcasting Also for 4K / 60p signals, it enables output from the main unit HDMI terminal. ATOMOS integrated monitor recorders "SHOGUN INFERNO" and "NINJA INFERNO" correspond to the recorded 4K / 60p signal recording * 1. In addition, the camera side is equipped with a dedicated REC trigger enabling recording control of "SHOGUN INFERNO" "NINJA INFERNO", realizing operation as a portable recording system.
※ 1: As of March 24, 2017. An optional SSD memory is required for recording.
2. 4: 2: 2 sampling record of 4K / 30p, 4K / 24p possible on SD card

Up to now, sampling at 4K recording was only 4: 2: 0, but with this version up, 4: 2: 2 sampling recording of 4K / 30p, 4K / 24p is possible on the SD card mounted on the camera It becomes ※ 2.
* 2: In the 4K 4: 2: 2 recording mode, the image output from the HDMI / SDI terminal is HD signal only.
3. Additional function addition

· It is possible to use it even when the camera operation by web browser is 4K / 30p (or 4K / 24p) recording. (Conventionally available only when recording HD).
· You can use the network function * 3 by connecting the machine to a computer or tablet via a network and using a web browser.

* 3: In the 4K network function effective mode, the image output from the HDMI / SDI terminal is HD signal only. Also, among various network functions, streaming function can not be used.
About ATOMOS "SHOGUN INFERNO" "NINJA INFERNO"

heres the link for the posting http://www3.jvckenwood.com/press/2017/gy-ls300ch_v4.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Philip Lipetz In my country (where everything is more expensive than the average European or N. American country) the LS300 is 2958euros, and B+H with the rebate is(was?) almost 2460$, while GH5 isn't here yet, and with the XLR thing, ND filters, and the such, will be more expensive than the LS300, and the LS is a true camcorder, while other similar solutions go north of 5000euros.

Also, they add 4:2:2 4K/30p on the card, which is enough for most I guess.

I believe it to be the best value for camera video camera. Is it perfect? of course not, but if a Canon C100mkIII had the same specs and features, would have at least double the LSs price.

If I remember correctly you do record performances? Imagine 2-3 such cameras, with the same settings and accessories, would be perfect for someone doing such work. A dSLR/mirrorless has a lot of video handicaps, even the amazing new GH5, I am reading that battery times are halved, from GH4, and what I liked in GH4 (and my NX1) is the great battery life for a mirrorless camera. For the cost of one FS5 you get 2 cameras that do the job (plus the offer a shotgun mic in the package! which is quite bad..but still, unlike Ursa, you have everything to start recording immediately).

@Alt Shoo Do you own one? do you know anything about the J-log post production?

Edit: Just to be 100% fair and precise the slow motion function of this camera is almost a joke, that is 100% the most annoying thing and needed fixing as I can't see myself needing that 4K/60p anytime soon, while the heavy crop of the slow motion renders it unusable. For simple 100frames we are using my NX1, and for more we are renting FS700s, which are very cheap to rent right now. I wish the new update has done something for this issue too.

Thank you.

For the J-log, you follow the JVC's instructions? (put on Premiere, adjust image as to be inside 0-100, and then apply the log?)

and when you say "expose very little to the right" you mean over expose? because we tend to under expose a bit.

Sorry for the questions, but there aren't many JVC owners on the forums to talk about it!

@Kisaha no problem and you're welcome! I over expose it. I don't use Premiere and hardly any LUTS. I work with Magix Vegas Pro 14 and the program's grading tools with scopes. If you're on Facebook join the JVC Gyls300 community! Plenty of helpful people over there! https://m.facebook.com/groups/864045253678018?tsid=0.41941317709701675&source=typeahead

• Super Members

Atomos looked like they'd got great timing releasing the new Ninja Inferno at the same time the GH5 became available but its even better timing with this upgrade of the LS300.

For a total price of $3550 from B&H these two make a massively specced package.

JVC did packages with Samyang lenses and if they've got any sense they'll do a bundled version of the LS300 with the Ninja Inferno. 

Everything about the LS300 on the front end is there (Super35 sensor, 4K,LOG,flexible mount,ND,XLR,dedicated controls) as are the clever features like Variable Sensor Mapping and the brilliant Prime Zoom function and mating it with the Ninja Inferno now takes care of the rest of it as on top of all that you get 10 bit 4K60p direct to edit ready ProRes on affordable media and a no compromise professional monitor with all the bells and whistles thrown in.

Thats a hell of a system for $3550.

Its probably not going to be attracting the same sort of user (or buzz!) as the GH5 (to which you could of course attach the Ninja Inferno and get all the back end stuff) but for people who really need a solid camcorder for broadcast work that can also be used for digital cinema then I can't see any better options than this.

But they really need to up their marketing game and let people know about it.

21 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Atomos looked like they'd got great timing releasing the new Ninja Inferno at the same time the GH5 became available but its even better timing with this upgrade of the LS300.

For a total price of $3550 from B&H these two make a massively specced package.

JVC did packages with Samyang lenses and if they've got any sense they'll do a bundled version of the LS300 with the Ninja Inferno. 

Everything about the LS300 on the front end is there (Super35 sensor, 4K,LOG,flexible mount,ND,XLR,dedicated controls) as are the clever features like Variable Sensor Mapping and the brilliant Prime Zoom function and mating it with the Ninja Inferno now takes care of the rest of it as on top of all that you get 10 bit 4K60p direct to edit ready ProRes on affordable media and a no compromise professional monitor with all the bells and whistles thrown in.

Thats a hell of a system for $3550.

Its probably not going to be attracting the same sort of user (or buzz!) as the GH5 (to which you could of course attach the Ninja Inferno and get all the back end stuff) but for people who really need a solid camcorder for broadcast work that can also be used for digital cinema then I can't see any better options than this.

But they really need to up their marketing game and let people know about it.

Yes I totally agree that this is a package that is hard to beat. It already was competition for the FS5 but now it is up there with the FS7 for a fraction of the cost and the IQ is excellent!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The first of these videos were internal recordings. I do not thing that this camera has 10bit capabilities at all, as it isn't just a firmware/software thingy.

At one point (soon), I assume we all be needing 10bit, TV industry pushes it slightly for now.

https://www.atomos.com/cameras/jvc-gy-ls300

Good find and great details.