Game changer, 5DII style.

AaronChicago

Pretty damn amazing, actually. Out of my price range, but it seems like a viable alternative to something like the SteadiCam Zephyr. If I were in the market for one of those I'd pay the few extra thousand for the convenience of being able to use it fully handheld, without a vest and without needing to go through many hours of training.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is a game changer, in my eyes.... and cheaper ones will come very soon.

For many years, people have been craving the "filmic look"

First, they thought it was 24p, then large sensor, then resolution, then higher DR ......... those things certainly help, but the way the camera moves is also a huge part of what makes something filmic.

This gizmo is gonna allow for some amazing, cinematic camera moves. Coupled with a drone, you could make something absolutely stunning on any DSLR.

This is interesting but no game changer; first off it's way too expensive to ever go mainstream, second the end result isn't much different than what you could do with a steadicam (unless you need a lot of helicopter shots or to literally jump through hoops) and last but not least that video looked horrible.  

I am not convinced this is better or easier to use than a steadicam for most shots.  It looks like footage from a novice steadicam operator, focus and composition was all over the place and it made me a little sick trying to watch.  Every shot had camera movement just for the sake of camera movement (I get that was to show it off) but proved in the wrong hands (apparently LaForet's :P) it could be the most annoying piece of kit ever, with too much run and gun style erratic movements.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea and very cool but this is not on par with the announcement of the 5D2; I think Vincent was just trying to get more traffic for his blog. 

Vincent Laforet PRO

2 hours ago

This might be faster than Reverie... not sure. Twitter wasn't around back then!

Too many people judging this on one video, a video that is clearly made to show off this kit in every shot....

Think about what YOU can do with something like this.

Exactly. If you use this selectively, for the occasional Martin Scorsese track-in or that one virtuoso scene that bridges together 5 groups of people in one tracking shot, it could be a terrific tool. If you use it all the time, it will be as annoying as constant razor-thin focus. In that respect, the 5D Mk II comparison could be spot on.

The video was in some ways bad, but that doesn't mean the technology is bad. It's not the device's fault that heads were getting cropped out of frame, but the operator's. The footage looked terrifically steady, and when the shots worked, they worked really damn well. 

It was stupid to shoot the whole thing at T1.3. No real SteadiCam operator would do that, but like a lot of hardcore HDSLR acolytes, that's LaForet's thing. You shouldn't judge this device based on his decision to throw everything out of focus in a tracking shot.

Why are people so mad here in EOSHD? This looks great. How often do you see those "perfect" shots in films anyway? Lots of films have shots that aren't perfect or steadyshots that look floaty. I mean...jesus some of the comments.

This is way more important than another DSLR shooting a bit sharper than another. This and the BMC.

Yeah, jesus huh, yes it's a great bit of kit for some shots, not all shots, it's another tool BUT it isn't a 'Game Changer', it doesn't warrant the build up it's had, it doesn't warrant comparison as a 'game changer' to what the 5D MK II did to the 'industry', shot for shot in a movie how many times use this device, how many times use a 'game changing' camera, every shot.

I'm not judging the device based on the videos put up, I'm commenting on the over use if anything, yes it's to show off the device, better will follow but considering they had the heads up, surprised of whats been put up, that's all.

Just to be clear I'm not disappointed in the technology of this thing:

...Don't get me wrong; it's a good idea and very cool...

But I am very disappointed in Vincent LaForet's use and hype of it.  It's not a game changer like the 5D2 and DSLR filming was.

DSLRs broke down barriers (both price and location barriers) and was useful to every filmmaker for every one of their shots, a true game changer.  This is actually putting up new barriers as its price is obviously not for everyone (or anyone really) and from what I've seen requires a bit of new training and experience to use.  Cool new technology? Yes. Game Changer? No.

Goodbye tracks, dolly, tripod, slider, steadicam.

I disagree, maybe when the chinese start cranking out decent ones at $1000 a pop I'd add one but this "MoVI" is still way out of reach for everyone to adopt, unlike those products you've mentioned.

I just think it's still a bit early to be calling the "MoVI" a 5D2 kinda game changer; this is at best a game changer for studio productions like LaForet himself with tens of thousands of dollars lying around but means next to nothing for the DSLR Indie crowd that LaForet's target audience has been since Reverie. It's like the difference from the RED ONE and the 5D Mark II, the real game changer there broke down barriers for EVERY filmmaker.

I was close with first post re Photo Higher Halo Gimbal - this is a game changer regardless of price point - this not a rig you shoot home movies with Vincent was correct with his headline - it's not a hobbyist rig   ....but it soon will be  : )

It's awesome, I'd definitely hire it, but not buy for now. I hope it hits hire shops., and they can keep up with demand, and also that it's robust enough to be a hire-shop regular.

Plus eventually they'll be cheaper, which is good. I like tripods and handheld, but I;ve always hated the necessity of rigs and steadicam for large sensor rolling shutter. I miss running about like I did with the Sony Z1.

Hopefully this could make all that easier as time goes on.

Nice NAB news :)