Tripod + fluid head

pekoo

Hi, I´m not really sure, I´m on right forum, but I try.

I´m looking for affordable tripod with fluid head in Europe for about 200-250 euro. And also, I can get Manfrotto 755 + 501hdv with bag for 250 euro. Is it good deal for me?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, pekoo said:

Hi, I´m not really sure, I´m on right forum, but I try.

I´m looking for affordable tripod with fluid head in Europe for about 200-250 euro. And also, I can get Manfrotto 755 + 501hdv with bag for 250 euro. Is it good deal for me?

Will you be using this with an Arri and a 12 foot crane? Will you eventually be using a slider? Hard to recommend a tripod without knowing which camera you're using and how you intend to use it.

@pekoo I'm not familiar with that particular tripod/head combination, but I would take the manufacturer's load capacity and divide it by ten. So it should be fine for the GH4 and the price seems fair. But... I don't know what kind of slider you're using, but mine weighs some 15 pounds, so it wouldn't be enough. And if you bought a Fuji X-T2 and slapped on a hunking 50-140mm f/2.8 lens on there, the tripod would crumple under the load. Also, I work around lots of families and hyperactive unattended children, and if one happened to run into my tripod, the chances are they'd fall before my camera ever did. Just like computers and everything else I buy, I don't just purchase to meet present needs, but also anticipated uses. You may not want to spend the money on a tripod that can handle 40Kg, but for a little more money, you can sort of future proof your investment. Also, I'm not fond of those center columns, they add instability. I do however like the flip lever leg locks, I hate the twisty ones.

It is a short slider, maybe 3kg... 

What I´m afraid most is, that I don´t have mutch trust in Manfrotto heads. I experienced two Manfrotto 503 heads and both moved a litle back when I released handle (it was a tiny move back noticeable only very zoomed detailed picture) like a flexing from handle. I don´t know, is this behavour normal?

I'm afraid those Manfrottos are junk and definitely not a real 'fluid head' - I had the 503 and hated it...now have a Vinten Vision Blue and it is a huge difference. More expensive but you kind of get what you pay for with tripods, as mentioned above get the very best you can afford - it will last many cameras so long as you get a decent one from the start. Lack of weight may be an issue with gh4, most tripods have a minimum weight needed to get true balance. Your budget is too low for any real quality but you may be able to get a used head fromMiller or Vinten or Sachtler if you can stretch your budget a bit more

For such a low budget I can only think of the S6 Benro, and only on ebay (there are some new from time to time with very competitive prices).

Unfortunately (or not), tripod systems are something that you have to pay, and pay a lot.

I did a little research on the market, and I can't find a good one with less than 1000euros. Only Sachtler Ace L, but even the C100markII and 70-200 EF lens are already too much,  and when I look for something better, they exceed 2000euros, easily.

Such a Benro is a good backup/reserve/B cam tripod to have, and if you grow substantially, you can get something much more expensive later.

Note: I wouldn't advice anything less from Benro (S2, S4). S6 is the minimum and S7/S8 are even better, but much more expensive (and less bargains on ebay).

For the price I'd say you can't go wrong with Miller....and if patient you can find one for half price on EBay....bought a very nice $1400 Miller head on eBay for just under 700...Satchlers are great too...but much pricier...start with a good fluid head and you will never replace it as they can be serviced too...you can get to expensive legs later! I know the head is way above your budget but it's for a 22lb rig....their prices drop or rise fast as weight capacity increases or decreases

@Fritz Pierre I agree with you and please take no offense,

but the guy said he has a 200-250euros budget for the whole system (tripod+head), and even though it is a very nice Miller head, it is 1400$, and in Europe, we do not have bargains like you in North America or Asia, the euro is very hard, and can't bend well (or at all), especially with imported equipment (Miller is Australian).

I already stretched his budget with the S6 (it can be found for around 150-170euros new, with a little luck,+100-150euros for Benro legs) but 1400$ (even 700$+shipping, which is highly unlikely) is not a stretch, that is an unexpected turn of events, for his wallet! 

If one stretch his budget these days, are buying Sachtler Ace tripod systems, they start from well under 600euros (and 100 more for the L version) http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sachtler_ace-tripod-floor_system and it will be perfect for a small cam corder, mirrorless, dSLR, JVC LS300, Canon C100 and a few extras. When people are buying cameras (like everything in life) have to consider the whole costs, maybe someone can stretch a Canon C300markII, but all the accessories have to be better, bigger, more expensive than a Canon C100. I can afford buying a big-ish SUV, but I couldn't afford taxes/insurance/maintenance costs etc. Same logic applies to everything (houses, cars, pets, kids, photo, video).

Which head you bought by the way, as I am in the market for something similar.

A system between 2000-3000euros that can hold C300mkII type cameras (even barely).

It isn't easy, it seems that for the upper tier of cameras you have to exceed 3000euros these days.

I am looking at Sachtler, Miller (even though I have some very bad experiences with 3 of their tripods, one we send it back as it was fallen apart as soon as bought, while shooting with the newly bought C300 back then) and Cartoni.

@kisaha you are absolutely correct that the OP posted a budget and that some of the advice indicates units in excess of this (mine included). However, there is a point at which it is also useful to hear from others that the planned budget is simply too low to buy an item with sufficient quality/reliability etc. Perhaps the purchasing decision could/should be postponed until the budget is increased? Indeed, perhaps the budget could be increased now in the light of advice received? This would potentially save money longer term. I don't think it would be appreciated if everyone simply posted a list of tripods within the budget with no comment as to their suitability. 

@Snowfun As I said, I agree, and I mentioned that tripod systems has to be very very expensive, I also propose the Sachtler Ace series that starts from 550euros, much more manageable than tripod systems 5 times the price.

Budgets though, can be really tough, we do not know the people here, and when someone sets a "hard budget", then he must have his reasons. For most people in the world (I know, our world isn't a fair place!), 1000$ can be a whole family budget for half a year.

And, to be pragmatic and precise, he has a GH4, if he is not planning to buy a FS7 or C300mkII soon, a Benro S6 or Sachtler Ace M will be fine for many years to come. If he finds the budget to buy the FS7ii or Ursa Mini Pro, then he would be able to reconsider then, and spend the 2500-3000 euros for a better one, because 1500$ right now, won't be sufficient for a much heavier load, it is kinda a dead man's land.

How's the Air by the way? Which model? It is in my list, but I said, I had bad experience with very expensive Miller's before, and I am a bit reluctant.

@pekoo I am not very familiar with the cheap Manfrottos these days, usually for similar prices, I found the Benro's a bit better, and that is why when I was choosing my head, I went for the S6 (S7 wasn't out yet, I would have gone with that). Someone with better knowledge of Manfrotto products can be more helpful.

I will seriously tell you to consider one of the cheap Sachtler's if possible, the head is really good for it's price.

Libec has some interesting low budget options as well.

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=category//tripods+||26+support//libec///price/asc////

44 minutes ago, pekoo said:

So your recomendation is not go with the Manfrotto set for 250€ in top condion?

Even though you don't really need a heavy duty tripod for a GH4, that Manfrotto range is crap and IMHO a total waste of money.

Like Kisaha said, if you can get to the 400-500€ range you can find decent solutions from second tier brands like Benro (and even the Sachtler ACE, which I've used and is a really nice head on "just OK" sticks).

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/benro_a373fbs8

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/benro_a573tbs7

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/benro_bv4

I found this one:

https://www.foto-klik.si/en/video-oprema/video-stativi-in-glave/genesis-base-cvt-20-kit-video-stativ-z-glavo-18551

I have no Idea how good or bad it is. Never used it nor know anyone who has used it. It is 10kg payload head on 50kg payload sticks. For that price I would be suspicious, but if you are willing to take the risk...

I have those same legs and they weigh a freaking ton. And it's really not that easy to set it up either. Now once it is set up it is sturdy as hell, but...  And I don't think the 3063 Head is really even a real Fluid head. They are more of a industrial head, meant to take a beating. I have heard very few good reviews on it working well for heavy video use.

I mean sure for the money pretty hard to beat one though. But you are looking at 15 pounds of tripod and head here to move around. It will be a hump trust me. I have found with the legs to NEVER have the camera on them before you get it set up. The legs can spread out almost all the way to the ground, which is a good thing when you Want That to happen, but it can tip over too damn easy for my liking!! They are good legs and a accident waiting to happen all at the same time. :grimace:

But the center column is sturdy as hell even almost fully extended. It really is a Photo tripod, not video legs. Just be damn careful. and don't get in a hurry with them. No way you can kill the damn tripod, will it to your great, great grandchildren they are built that good. I mean it is a Hell of a tripod for nearly no money.

11 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@Fritz Pierre I agree with you and please take no offense,

but the guy said he has a 200-250euros budget for the whole system (tripod+head), and even though it is a very nice Miller head, it is 1400$, and in Europe, we do not have bargains like you in North America or Asia, the euro is very hard, and can't bend well (or at all), especially with imported equipment (Miller is Australian).

I already stretched his budget with the S6 (it can be found for around 150-170euros new, with a little luck,+100-150euros for Benro legs) but 1400$ (even 700$+shipping, which is highly unlikely) is not a stretch, that is an unexpected turn of events, for his wallet! 

If one stretch his budget these days, are buying Sachtler Ace tripod systems, they start from well under 600euros (and 100 more for the L version) http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sachtler_ace-tripod-floor_system and it will be perfect for a small cam corder, mirrorless, dSLR, JVC LS300, Canon C100 and a few extras. When people are buying cameras (like everything in life) have to consider the whole costs, maybe someone can stretch a Canon C300markII, but all the accessories have to be better, bigger, more expensive than a Canon C100. I can afford buying a big-ish SUV, but I couldn't afford taxes/insurance/maintenance costs etc. Same logic applies to everything (houses, cars, pets, kids, photo, video).

Which head you bought by the way, as I am in the market for something similar.

A system between 2000-3000euros that can hold C300mkII type cameras (even barely).

It isn't easy, it seems that for the upper tier of cameras you have to exceed 3000euros these days.

I am looking at Sachtler, Miller (even though I have some very bad experiences with 3 of their tripods, one we send it back as it was fallen apart as soon as bought, while shooting with the newly bought C300 back then) and Cartoni.

Well if you looked at the very last line in my post you'd notice that I recommended a lower weight fluid head than mine

My head is the DS-20 and B&H is listing it at $1311.00...incredible head though I'd say around the 20 lb mark, the 75mm bowl/mechanism starts flexing...for how little I move a camera, I still opt for this...weight's reasonable and you'll never replace the head...

6 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Well if you looked at the very last line in my post you'd notice that I recommended a lower weight fluid head than mine

My head is the DS-20 and B&H is listing it at $1311.00...incredible head though I'd say around the 20 lb mark, the 75mm bowl/mechanism starts flexing...for how little I move a camera, I still opt for this...weight's reasonable and you'll never replace the head...

Yeah a 20lb head ought to be using a 100mm half ball. That would be pushing the limit for a 75mm.

I use a £60 amazon video tripod and a £100 manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head.  Seems conpletely fine for my use even when i had a c100. What am i missing that these other ones costing hundreds have?

Also if youre using a slider isnt it always best to attach it to two tripods? Like two £20 tripods would probably work better than one £200 tripod?