Tripod + fluid head

pekoo

A turn of the screw, and I am in the market for a cheap tripod to go with my S6 head!

I want something relatively light, better with flap mechanisms (no twisty things) and between 100-200euros (I guess). It will be my second or third tripod. Preferably from Europe or ebay (no "exotic" US products, unfortunately!).

Any suggestion is welcomed.

disclaimer: I am not trying to "conquer" the thread, just felt the two (tripod legs and heads) in that price range are very similar.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Was going to post a new topic, but found this. Nice work, folks. I have that funky, cheap Manfrotto 128RC tripod head with some random Manfrotto legs. Altogether they were around 190 euros, bought about 4 years ago. They've been great, but on a recent corporate shoot I've been a little shown up, with legs that don't hold, a slider that causes the whole thing to wobble and fall a little...it's been bad. But the head has been great.

Either way, it's time for a big upgrade. I'm looking at the Sachtler ACE  M MS system (http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sachtler_ace-tripod-mid_system&nosto=productpage-nosto-3) and it looks like it will work for me. Might not be as portable, but at the moment I'd take anything over setting up a wobbly tripod next to a CEO on a supposedly professional corporate shoot.

I downgraded from an OConnor to the Ace ... as video is a plaything for me and the OConnor was a beast ... but the only head I could

do pans and tilts with no jitter consistently. The Ace is not in the same realm but with IBIS it can work.

Mine is on a set of Gitzo CF legs with their bowl. Very light and fast to use. Ideal for the mirrorless cameras and up to a C100.

Sorry for the pic ... had to rotate it as the site cut off the legs as it expects landscape format.

Bob

GH5 Ace.jpg

4 minutes ago, docmoore said:

I downgraded from an OConnor to the Ace ... as video is a plaything for me and the OConnor was a beast ... but the only head I could

do pans and tilts with no jitter consistently. The Ace is not in the same realm but with IBIS it can work.

Mine is on a set of Gitzo CF legs with their bowl. Very light and fast to use. Ideal for the mirrorless cameras and up to a C100.

Sorry for the pic ... had to rotate it as the site cut off the legs as it expects landscape format.

Bob

GH5 Ace.jpg

how did you get the satchler ace head by itself? I thought it usually came attached to legs

Legs are in a box on the shelf in my closet ... at the time I bought it no head only ... but with the spreader and aluminum construction they are not what I use

in the field ... however the whole deal is cheap enough that storing the legs is not that big of a deal. I had a couple of Satchler heads ... bigger ones in the past

and this one is very smooth for the price point.

Bob

The FSB is built for pro use/abuse but the pan tilt smoothness is very similar. The FSB 8 has 5 levels of drag ... the Ace and FSB 4/6 have 3.

FSB 8 has a quick release plate and a LED light bubble level ... internally probably a bit higher grade build ... better be at 4 times the price.

The FSB 8 can handle 2 to 22 pounds ... the Ace M 0 to 8. I am struggling to get a decent balance on the GH5 without my cage on the FSB 8 whereas

I was dialed in on the Ace.

Now that I have returned to video I assume that I may push above 8 pounds soon ... I prefer to shoot landscape and wildlife video and will be shooting

with the Olympus Pro 300 F4 ... not that heavy but long enough to add a significant lever arm on the balance equation. Stability at a 600 FF equivalent 

will be paramount.

I previously had a OConnor 1030 which was perfect ... other than the fact it and the tripod weighed over 17 pounds ... not ideal for a trek.

Should Canon introduce a decently priced 4K replacement for the C100 Mk II I will be considering that and their 200-400 zoom. But honestly the

GH5 is so good that unless I move to a RED or other RAW capture device I am unsure that I will see a major improvement over the Panasonic.

The value of the Ace ... tripod included is ridiculous ... cannot imagine anyone passing it up at its low entry price ... and I assume Sachtler is giving

them away in anticipation of future upgrade customers.

Bob