GH5, EF lenses and adaptors

Rich Merritt

Hi there, 

Posting as I received my GH5 yesterday but unsure whether to keep it. I also bought a Metabones Ultra 0.71, which kind of works with my EF 50mm 1.8 but not at all with my Canon zoom lenses. 

In everybody's experience, do you think Metabones will update the Speedbooster to work with the GH5. I've not used their gear before and don't want to be lumbered with an adaptor, and possibly camera, that I can't use. I know it's impossible to say for sure, but wondering if the EOSHD Hive Mind had any info I'd not been able to find. 

In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have about the camera. 

Thanks

Rich

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Rich Merritt said:

Hi there, 

Posting as I received my GH5 yesterday but unsure whether to keep it. I also bought a Metabones XL 0.71, which kind of works with my EF 50mm 1.8 but not at all with my Canon zoom lenses. 

In everybody's experience, do you think Metabones will update the Speedbooster to work with the GH5. I've not used their gear before and don't want to be lumbered with an adaptor, and possibly camera, that I can't use. I know it's impossible to say for sure, but wondering if the EOSHD Hive Mind had any info I'd not been able to find. 

In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have about the camera. 

Thanks

Rich

The XL is .64 X, not .71. Are you sure you don't have the Ultra?

While we are waiting for the real fix, this workaround may (or may not) be enough to get GH5 going, assuming you are currently at the latest version (2.6, 2016-12-16).

There is a jog lever on most Speed Boosters. Press it inward and hold it down, and while keeping it depressed, either power on the camera (if the SB and lens has already been attached), or attach the SB or the lens (if the camera is already powered on). Do not let go until the camera has fully started up, which may take a second or so. Confirm the workaround is actually running by checking that AFC and AFF are disabled and unavailable. (You will be able to choose from only AFS and MF, if the startup is correct.) Now, you have iris control, some AF (but not AFC, continuous video AF, and AFS itself may not be accurate all the time), OIS if you have an IS lens, IBIS if you have a non-IS lens, and you would be able to zoom.

This is a temporary workaround, not thoroughly tested and may have problems. Let me know if this is good enough or not. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 8:12 PM, conurus said:

While we are waiting for the real fix, this workaround may (or may not) be enough to get GH5 going, assuming you are currently at the latest version (2.6, 2016-12-16).

There is a jog lever on most Speed Boosters. Press it inward and hold it down, and while keeping it depressed, either power on the camera (if the SB and lens has already been attached), or attach the SB or the lens (if the camera is already powered on). Do not let go until the camera has fully started up, which may take a second or so. Confirm the workaround is actually running by checking that AFC and AFF are disabled and unavailable. (You will be able to choose from only AFS and MF, if the startup is correct.) Now, you have iris control, some AF (but not AFC, continuous video AF, and AFS itself may not be accurate all the time), OIS if you have an IS lens, IBIS if you have a non-IS lens, and you would be able to zoom.

This is a temporary workaround, not thoroughly tested and may have problems. Let me know if this is good enough or not. Good luck.

Conurus,et al, here's my experience.

1. Update the adapter, connecting the adapter to the computer using a USB connector. There's a place for the connector under the tiny rubber insert on the side of the base of the adapter.

2. Update by downloading the Metabones app found on the Metabones support page. Once the app is downloaded, click on it and it will immediately locate your adapter, analyze it, and tell you what to do next. If you're up to date it will tell you. At that point you can disconnect your adapter from the computer and go on living as normally as you are capable of. No matter how normal you may be you will still have to know how to use the adapter so your Canon/EF mount lenses work----that's next and the point of this whole thing.

3. Once that's done mount the adapter and lens on the camera. Depress the jog wheel on the side of the adapter, and remain holding it down while you turn the camera on. 

4. Once the camera is on you should see the image with the LCD screen display. Yea!! But you're not home just yet--at least in my experience.

5. At this point your mileage may vary, but I find everything works except the camera's aperture control wheel. To make it functional I have to depress the jog wheel on the adapter yet again, holding it down while adjusting the aperture wheel. Once the aperture wheel kicks in and the lens' aperture is being controlled in camera you can release the jog wheel. After that the wheel will work fine without having to depress the jog wheel.

6. If you shut the camera down and restart in order for everything to function you have to repeat the steps above as follows;
a) hold the jog wheel down while turning the camera on, only releasing it after the cam is fully booted up.

b) in order to make the camera's aperture control operative you will have to re-depress the jog wheel and then turn the GH5 aperture control wheel. Once that's done you no longer need the jog wheel until you stop and restart.

This has worked fine for me with all Canon lenses and the Sigma 18-35 1.8 as well. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me. And yes, I didn't mention AF, because I don't use AF in shooting video--but basic AF does work pretty well--I tested it to make sure.

Hope they actually fix this issue, because doing this every time you stop and re-start is a kind of pain. But, at least it works and you can use your EF lenses.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

You guys rule. I was just looking for an answer to this. Of course I found it on EOSHD.

Glad this was of help to you. Once I got it straight I thought I'd provide something other than what has been rudely thrown at me here and on FB: "Did you read the manual?" "Just shoot green?"--no explanation beyond that; "Do you have google on your computer? If so, use it."
I ask myself, "Why the Hell do we have sites like EOSHD?"

I always thought it was to share information and save time and to provide clearer, less convoluted information than we get from these TERRIBLE web sites and user's manuals.

But apparently I was wrong. Go figure! 

Apparently, by the words and actions of some I get the sense they believe it is for them to be rude and snooty and to try to make people feel inferior and inept---that is, as long it is not they who are trying to get good and pertinent information.

Anyway, I thought I'd take advantage of my 35 years of communicating and teaching to actually lay out the needed information in a clear, orderly fashion. Because that's what I thought EOSHD was about--for all of us to courteously help each other.

:glasses:

19 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Glad this was of help to you. Once I got it straight I thought I'd provide something other than what has been rudely thrown at me here and on FB: "Did you read the manual?" "Just shoot green?"--no explanation beyond that; "Do you have google on your computer? If so, use it."
I ask myself, "Why the Hell do we have sites like EOSHD?"

I always thought it was to share information and save time and to provide clearer, less convoluted information than we get from these TERRIBLE web sites and user's manuals.

But apparently I was wrong. Go figure! 

Apparently, by the words and actions of some I get the sense they believe it is for them to be rude and snooty and to try to make people feel inferior and inept---that is, as long it is not they who are trying to get good and pertinent information.

Anyway, I thought I'd take advantage of my 35 years of communicating and teaching to actually lay out the needed information in a clear, orderly fashion. Because that's what I thought EOSHD was about--for all of us to courteously help each other.

:glasses:

I'm getting the IS from the Canon 24-105 to work, but I can't access the IBIS within the GH5. Is that normal for this lens or a feature that needs to be updated in firmware?

7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm getting the IS from the Canon 24-105 to work, but I can't access the IBIS within the GH5. Is that normal for this lens or a feature that needs to be updated in firmware?

Could be the adapters firmware.

I know that with the Kipon (non focal reducer) smart adapter, IS works great but IBIS doesn't work with Canon lenses on the adapter even when they don't have IS or it is turned off.

My old GX7 doesn't have the best version of IBIS though (and can not be used in video at all) so I am not losing much but if I had better IBIS from more recent cameras it would be a worry.      Again though IS does work well.

This has more to do with the fact that image stabilization with Panasonic is an all-or-nothing affair. The user has no provision to choose between IBIS and OIS, it is IS ON or IS OFF and the camera figures out how to accomplish IS with whatever means. Your camera's user manual explains which IS is used in under which scenario.

Metabones has its own way to give the user more control: http://metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-image-stabilization

The real GH5 support is imminent but this workaround with the existing firmware is actually the OIS+ES mode of image stabilization. (Because the other 2 modes would freeze the camera when the lens is zoomed.) To use IBIS alone with an IS lens like the EF24-105 we will need the next Metabones firmware.

1 hour ago, conurus said:

This has more to do with the fact that image stabilization with Panasonic is an all-or-nothing affair. The user has no provision to choose between IBIS and OIS, it is IS ON or IS OFF and the camera figures out how to accomplish IS with whatever means. Your camera's user manual explains which IS is used in under which scenario.

Metabones has its own way to give the user more control: http://metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-image-stabilization

The real GH5 support is imminent but this workaround with the existing firmware is actually the OIS+ES mode of image stabilization. (Because the other 2 modes would freeze the camera when the lens is zoomed.) To use IBIS alone with an IS lens like the EF24-105 we will need the next Metabones firmware.

Thanks for that.      So that will work for Metabones at least.

I don't think it will work for the Kipon as NON IS lenses also don't work for IBIS.

I will give it a try though (have not got the adapter here at the moment).

At least in the case of the Kipon, (non focal reducer) smart adapter, even when you turn IS off on the lens, you still don't get IBIS so I think it is more likely the firmware.    You can use the same lens on a dumb adapter (like the Lens Turbo) and IBIS works.

Firmware (at least with this adapter) can make HUGE differences.      The adapter as sold was very different to how it is now after a couple of updates and is now a much better and more useable product.

5 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm having trouble with that lens as well. The video is unstable and jerky. I tried it with the lens only stability, both internal and lens stability--it's quite unstable either way.

6 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I'm having trouble with that lens as well. The video is unstable and jerky. I tried it with the lens only stability, both internal and lens stability--it's quite unstable either way.

Yeah it's a bummer. It's the perfect all around lens with the Metabones XL in my opinion. Extremely jerky right now though while using handheld.

I was shooting with my 24-105 F4 Canon zoom with the new Metabones firmware---and it seemed to work fine. Then, out of the blue, three separate times while shooting yesterday it locked up and the F-stop froze at 2.5. The only fix was a shut down and restart. Anyone has similar issues with the 24-105 or other lenses??

Everything else, so far, has worked fine. The Sigma 18-35 has worked better than ever.