Canon 5D mkIV Crop Factor Reduction

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:20 AM, Phil A said:

If it was true (which I'm 99% sure it's not), we would probably see a new "worst rolling shutter" champion, dethroning the a6300. The 5D iv has quite bad RS, reading out even more of the sensor will make it even worse.

Also how would they suddenly manage downscaling and and XF-AFC (does that mean XF-AVC I guess?) with the same processors and encoders that only managed 1:1 read out and MJPEG so far? Not even the C700 can downscale but uses windowed mode if you use a resolution but full sensor raw and that thing is huge, expensive and has active cooling. Which is the last point: "installing a new heat sink". Like what? Do you think Canon left a huge empty space in the 5D iv body just so eventually a year down the line they can install a bigger heat sink?

Sounds completely fabricated. Manufacturers don't run their product at 60% performance to then suddenly go "surprise mofos! We got a firmware update that makes everything so much better!". If this was Fuji, well maaaaybe, but Canon? Did they ever bring anything meaningful in a fw update except the one to extend the 7D sales cycle?

Rolling shutter will not get worse. There is a hard limit on how bad it can be due to the need to start the next frame, which for 30p is about 33 ms. The sensor of the 5D4 is likely being fully read anyway, but only some of the data is actually used since the limitation is heat generated by the processor. Less data = less heat.

The 5D4 can't do H.264 encoding for 4K since it has the wrong processor for that. It would need a Digic 7 to do that in hardware, and doing it in software would be too much for the processor.

There won't be space for a bigger heatsink, nor is a fan practical. The camera's body is the heatsink. The only thing they could do to improve the thermal envelope perhaps would be to replace some of the materials inside the camera with stuff that has better thermal conductivity. More likely the servicing is to disable or replace the internal sensors that trigger the overheating warnings.

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

if any of this is true – that canon is making uncharacteristic radical moves to 'fix' the 5d4 for video – they should enable a raw mode on the 1dx2 with those cfast2 cards. no overheating! just dump that raw data baby!!!! ?

Replicants will be running amok first.

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

The info from this rumor comes from a new source.  That means any one of us cunts could have written it. Its not even worth discussing!

True. But considering the length and details about the rumor, it's hard to imagine that a fucker would have such a sucking life that he would do that for fun.

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

True. But considering the length and details about the rumor, it's hard to imagine that a fucker would have such a sucking life that he would do that for fun.

Don't underestimate the human race! Especially so close to april fools day.

hmmmm, maybe this is an april fools that got leaked early?

1 hour ago, tweak said:

I've got a new rumour from a credible Canon source that said; Canon are going to implement Raw video via firmware update to mitigate over heating issues and drive up sales of 5D. 

It's practically confirmed FYI.

Send it to Canon Rumors and see if they post it, oh wait...

6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Of course it could be put out by a company (not Canon) that may have a GH5 killer camera coming that isn't quite ready yet.

That way, people hold off buying the GH5, get annoyed with Canon and then everyone migrates to the new flavour of the month.

Or it could actually be true but that remains to be seen.

For me the GH5 is in a different market segment for the most part to a 5Div.

4 hours ago, tweak said:

I've got a new rumour from a credible Canon source that said; Canon are going to implement Raw video via firmware update to mitigate over heating issues and drive up sales of 5D. 

It's practically confirmed FYI.

I dont think this will be happening, as even the c100 or the c300 dont have RAW. It will surely affect their higher up camera sales, as I know I would be buying a 5d iv instead of the c300 ii.(for my needs)