Sony FS5 Mark II rumored for NAB 2017

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow this guy has a damn good idea for a small Run N Gun camera! Comment from the above article.

"sibuzaru Cliff • an hour ago

Yeah, the fact that the a6500 IQ can outperform the FS5 in some situations while having IBIS+PDAF is kinda annoying

If they used the 24mp and allowed you to zoom-in seamlessly up to 1:1 pixel in 4k or 1080p will be awesome

And I really thought the FS7II would be a FF camera, they even have security cameras with that A7S sensor, but why the hell not in a camcorder like the VG/FS series?
Something like a VG-900s with IBIS+PDAF would just make everyone jump in just because of the camcorder style and better battery system for filming"

On 28/3/2017 at 6:49 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah, the fact that the a6500 IQ can outperform the FS5 in some situations while having IBIS+PDAF is kinda annoying

After using both for quite a while the a6500 is slightly oversharpened and IMHO the IQ is slightly lower than the FS5 in every situation.

If they used the 24mp and allowed you to zoom-in seamlessly up to 1:1 pixel in 4k or 1080p will be awesome

That much oversampling doesn't improve quality and makes rolling shutter jello way worse than what should be acceptable for a pro video camera. There is a a reason why F55, F5, FS7 and FS5 share the same 12mp s35 sensor optimized for video.

And I really thought the FS7II would be a FF camera, they even have security cameras with that A7S sensor, but why the hell not in a camcorder like the VG/FS series?
Something like a VG-900s with IBIS+PDAF would just make everyone jump in just because of the camcorder style and better battery system for filming"

S35 is still the standard for cinema, narrative and commercials. Given the FS7 and FS5 intend to be hybrid cinema-broadcast cameras, they're right to stick to that standard -many cinema lenses don't cover FF- though I agree with you it would be very interesting to revive the VG series... it was a failed project but it was a good idea and I'm sure it could be done better with today's FF sensors, faster readouts, faster cards, etc.

On 30/3/2017 at 3:01 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It has nowhere near been long enough after the original FS5 to consider replacing it even by Sony standards.

I agree, but the same could have been said about the FS7 and look what happened. An FS5 II could be an update more than a replacement: improved EVF, new SD card slot to allow UHS3 cards with the second row of pins-, higher bitrates and/or XAVC-I -though using both L and I in many projects I can say 90% of the time you won't miss XAVC-I-, continuous 100 fps, etc. The "global shutter" part is what sounds wierd... What for? it's not like it RS is a problem on the FS5.

I'd like to see Sony revive the smaller VG camcorder line with the a6500 innards, just call it the FS3. The VG's were way ahead of their time - and way under spec'd with that crappy mic and line skipping 1080p - so they were DOA from the beginning. Now we have the MIS and the XLR adapters, so the goofy built in mic could be eliminated. Plus we finally have the lenses to make it shine either with E-mount or adapted. Touchscreen and PADF make it more user friendly.

Do it!

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 10.03.37 AM.png

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'd like to see Sony revive the smaller VG camcorder line with the a6500 innards, just call it the FS3. The VG's were way ahead of their time - and way under spec'd with that crappy mic and line skipping 1080p - so they were DOA from the beginning. Now we have the MIS and the XLR adapters, so the goofy built in mic could be eliminated. Plus we finally have the lenses to make it shine either with E-mount or adapted. Touchscreen and PADF make it more user friendly.

Do it!

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 10.03.37 AM.png

Hell yes, make it so! I Loved that body shape. You could but one of those in the glove box.

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'd like to see Sony revive the smaller VG camcorder line with the a6500 innards, just call it the FS3.

+1 on the FS3, but maybe it would make more sense if it had an integrated lens, kinda like the canon XC10. I love that form factor as far as small caneras go, though the lens sucked. I know something like the Zeiss lens on the RX10, even just the mark I -25-250mm equivalent was it?- would be huge translated into APS-C but the 18-105mm f4 is quite compact so I'm sure some solution is possible...

Just leave those VG cameras to rest..

Some of my worst experiences ever, there were so many "producers/directors" bringing one in every shooting and asking me to be "productive" with those - hated them, and most were insisting that the sound was incredible (the Sony marketing must be unbelievably effective, then and now) and we didn't need any other sound gathering..

There is a similar little camera (if you do not use the handle, has in built mics in the body as well) and is called JVC LS300, with a m4/3 pancake or even small zoom, you just can't believe how small it is, and is a bit more expensive than a GH5 in USA, plus there will be a firmware update that will do 4:2:2 4K internal and 4K/60p on an Atomos (http://www3.jvckenwood.com/press/2017/gy-ls300ch_v4.html). There is a thread about it here. The camera has a variable sensor and Metabones adapters.