Panasonic: We will accelerate the LUMIX project under new structure

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, Eno said:

@Andrew Reid

I've enjoyed your article and think you are right. The above (just made public) Panasonic official response to those "dismantling" news say practical the same thing.

Here is the source for the full interview with Panasonic at CES regarding restructuring.

Source: AV Watch, Japan.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fav.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fseries%2Fce%2F1037593.html

By dismantling they mean taking the good bits (GH5) and putting them under the umbrella of the black-goods division which makes TVs, etc.

I won't miss the compacts and camcorders and it was inevitable that Panasonic would scale back production of these given the current market.

Micro Four Thirds lives on and continues to grow in sales.

12 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

Panasonic can shuffle around their company as much as they like, but until they offer colour science on par with Canon and Nikon, a log profile that is useable and good video AF, i stand by my switch from the GH line to an 8bit 1080 camera (C100Mkii) and for small body 4K an XC10. 

What does this even mean?

9 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hopefully the GH6 (or whatever new name they release in the future) has RAW(maybe writing to dual SD) and more DR. clean 1600 like the GH5 is enough for me. Which is the only thing lacking from the camera's for my needs. 

In it's current form the GH5 is already eating up 1.5 gig per min...that's before the FW upgrade...how many will be able to to afford a computer and data storage to accommodate raw?...it would be a disastrous business decision for Panny on a camera that's $2000...I for one am glad they are making smart choices....look at the GH5 they gave us...I remember many months ago all the various items people listed as their "wish list"...then Panasonic comes along and completely blows past it...of course for RAW they offer the Varicam 35 & LT....and they have to protect that line too...perfectly reasonable to me it seems....

I struggle to see how splitting the Micro Four Thirds cameras off from the Professional Video Division (which seems an ideal fit, except the latter is profitable and the former not-so-much) and making people redundant is quite such a positive as they are trying to spin it... It will be interesting to see what happens, but IMHO "redoubled" seems like marketing spin to keep people buying the products. Not that I'm suggesting cameras are doomed, but I think the ILCs will get trimmed somewhat along the way...

30 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

What does this even mean?

In it's current form the GH5 is already eating up 1.5 gig per min...that's before the FW upgrade...how many will be able to to afford a computer and data storage to accommodate raw?...it would be a disastrous business decision for Panny on a camera that's $2000...I for one am glad they are making smart choices....look at the GH5 they gave us...I remember many months ago all the various items people listed as their "wish list"...then Panasonic comes along and completely blows past it...of course for RAW they offer the Varicam 35 & LT....and they have to protect that line too...perfectly reasonable to me it seems....

Heck they can double the price if they add these RAW specs to such a small body for all I care(do need a DR upgrade though).

"I am getting the feeling that this size is okay. We were able to fit in size of 12% increase, which led to the realization of more user-friendly size.”

I like the idea of a slightly larger cam for all the obvious reasons. I only wish Sony would come out with a more DSLR body style for their A cams:  6300,6500, 7, etc. The Sony mirrorless body style is not only unappealing, it is no pleasure at all to hold and use--like the Panasonic G85, GH4, and now the GH5. Making the body larger should also help with the Sony heating issue---or at least, that would be my guess.

Don't anyone know when Metabones will have their speed booster (.64) firmware fixed. For me that's a REAL inconvenience since I almost never shoot with Pani or Olympus lenses.

14 hours ago, Eno said:

The V-Log is very nice if you have the skills or desire to grade it.

Not if it's the same Vlog that shipped for the GH4. My grading skills are perfectly adequate and never had a problem with the hundreds of hours of Blackmagic film or C-log I've worked on, but the externally recorded 10 bit v-log I got from my GH4 was truly abysmal. Infinite skill and patience can't do anything about the weird banding and colour artefacts. Great if it's different on the GH5 but the Cinema5D analysis didn't fill me with hope.

@Lintelfilm

The V-Log profile most probably is the same but the information in it will definitely be another. :)

11 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

Not if it's the same Vlog that shipped for the GH4. My grading skills are perfectly adequate and never had a problem with the hundreds of hours of Blackmagic film or C-log I've worked on, but the externally recorded 10 bit v-log I got from my GH4 was truly abysmal. Infinite skill and patience can't do anything about the weird banding and colour artefacts. Great if it's different on the GH5 but the Cinema5D analysis didn't fill me with hope.

just got a GH5, I agree with Andrew, the GH5 V-Log colour is astonishing, just from camera with the Panasonic VLog/Rec709 LUT colour is rich with depth and pop, with no artefacts.

I never liked the GH4, image felt thin and fragile, always having to nurse a grade out of it, but GH5 is on another level

23 hours ago, dr_jon said:

I struggle to see how splitting the Micro Four Thirds cameras off from the Professional Video Division (which seems an ideal fit, except the latter is profitable and the former not-so-much) and making people redundant is quite such a positive as they are trying to spin it... It will be interesting to see what happens, but IMHO "redoubled" seems like marketing spin to keep people buying the products. Not that I'm suggesting cameras are doomed, but I think the ILCs will get trimmed somewhat along the way...

I am not sure splitting them from pro video division is a necessarily positive thing either. However, if they had an intention to ditch MILCs, they wouldn't have put so much resources developing and marketing GH5 (and the predecessors, like GX85 and G80) -- neither the CEO nor the circumstances have changed so drastically for the Panasonic to suddenly take a u-turn.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, John Jay said:

just got a GH5, I agree with Andrew, the GH5 V-Log colour is astonishing, just from camera with the Panasonic VLog/Rec709 LUT colour is rich with depth and pop, with no artefacts.

I never liked the GH4, image felt thin and fragile, always having to nurse a grade out of it, but GH5 is on another level

Yes it is another level entirely. So much stronger signal from the sensor, less noise pollution = better colour. They have 3D colour processing onboard as well which is usually something you only find on a high-end colourist's GPU