A7SIII (and why you should wait before buying GH5)

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Extreme low light is a great reason to pick Sony. For 98% of shooting, that advantage holds little allure for me. Thus, I continue to wonder what advantage Sony holds for that vast percentage of shooters that don't need crazy ISOs.

Small full frame bodies that can take any lens that covers the sensor. That's basically it.

Those small full frame bodies with big front heavy Canon/Sony/Nikon full frame lenses are a nightmare. Some times small is good, but sometimes small is bad.

Even Panasonic went out of its comfort zone to produce a truly great "pro" camera, this GH5 is BIG (and relatively heavy). More space, bigger batteries, better heat sinks, more buttons, better ergonomics, more reliable - hassle free machine.

There will be a Sony dSLR like mirrorless soon-ish, some things are tested through decades, and work for more than one reasons, evolution is good, but evolution is to take the good things and move' em forward.

Low light is great, but it isn't a panacea to everything but most people use it as an excuse for cuts in technicians, equipment, procedures. Video is not a lonely sport, it isn't photography.

Also, IBIS is not a panacea either!

Seeing how there's big discounts on the A7s II and A7r II I'd guess it's indeed very likely a A7 III series camera will be announced at NAB.

Sony already has some ingredients around like the great AF-C of the A6x00 line or the way the screen articulates on the A99 II that would help make the next camera better. On the other hand it is to be seen if they can overcome the technical issues (rolling shutter, heat/energy management) or the marketing based hurdles (10bit color depth, higher bitrate codec).

I'm really curious. I'm still considering a GH5 but I'd much rather buy another Sony.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know the latest estimates/rumors on when the a7siii will be announced? I've been holding off on the GH5 in hopes that the a7siii will be everything the GH5 is plus better autofocus and low light. However, if it's not coming for 6 months to a year then I think I will buy a GH5 and lens now and possibly sell it when the a7siii comes out if it is significantly better.

Well for sure it is going to be here in less than a year. 
Latest rumors are A7III with 4K in Q4 2017. I expect the A7SIII to arrive at the same time or in the next few months after that. 

With the latest tech like it has been done on the RX100 and the A99II, I expect the A7SIII to shoot 4K60p and 180-240p FHD. 

It will probably be what the A7Sii is to the GH4. So basically a Full Frame GH5. 
However in the past, the A7S was seriously lacking VS Panasonic in built, battery life, ergonomics, ... 

IF the A7SIII keeps the same body as A9 (dual SD, way better battery, better ergonomics) and its video AF (which is to say better than the GH5) then I see few reason to buy the GH5 VS the A7SIII. 

Except if you do need a camera now. Then like me you can just buy stuff for projects and re-sell after. I have been doing that for a while, waiting for a worthwile camera to keep which has never been the case yet. 

Thanks, @wolf33d. It sounds like we're talking about somewhere in the ball park of 6 months from now if the latest rumors are correct (assuming it comes a few months after the A7III). That's right on the cusp of where I'm not sure whether it's worth it to deal with the hassle of trying to sell a used GH5 and lens or just wait until the A7SIII is released to buy anything. 

Do you know if it's expected to shoot 10 bit internal?

A7SIII probably coming next year, A7II released Nov 14, A7RII Aug 15 and A7SII Sep 15, if A7III is similar to A7II release (both Q4 release) then you can expect A7RIII coming out in summer and A7SIII in autumn next year, definitely more than a year to go

Looks like Sony is putting A7 into 3 year cycle.. same for A5xxx series lol, the entry lvl model need a long overdue! Or maybe they are exiting the entry level market and go for enthusiast and up?

On 15/7/2017 at 1:07 AM, ntblowz said:

A7SIII probably coming next year, A7II released Nov 14, A7RII Aug 15 and A7SII Sep 15, if A7III is similar to A7II release (both Q4 release) then you can expect A7RIII coming out in summer and A7SIII in autumn next year, definitely more than a year to go

Looks like Sony is putting A7 into 3 year cycle.. same for A5xxx series lol, the entry lvl model need a long overdue! Or maybe they are exiting the entry level market and go for enthusiast and up?

There is an entry level model, a6000! 

More than a year is Too much.

They need a better camera sooner, or else Canonikon full frame mirror less will catch up with them, while GH5 sells like hot cakes and Fuji is rumored to bring a video specialized camera (while their new -cheap- cine lenses look tempting), soon-ish..

Maybe a super special FS5mkII with a newer sensor will cut down their "losses".