A7SIII (and why you should wait before buying GH5)

wolf33d

I predict that an A7SIII will be announced next month with GH5 like specs (probably not 10bit though?) with monstruous AF, dual SD, and lots of improvements.

rumors have been going in this way for a long time. 

Worth waiting IMO. 

GH5 with speed booster and shit AF is a no go for me in 2017. Even though I am buying it for my patagonia trip (the best camera is the one available now.....) I might get rid of it asap.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think "the large portion of video shooters that never use AF" is not because people don't want to but because the tech/cost isn't there.

If every camera had dual pixel video AF from the year 2100 you can bet almost everyone would use it.  I barely use continuous AF in video not because I don't want to, but because it's just not very viable on most cameras.  Can you imagine if there was very good object tracking and almost perfect AF?  Would be amazing for gimbal and run and gun. 

For many that have moved away from Sony, they'd need to improve the following:

* Figure out the overheating issue

* Improve their color science

* Move to an IBIS that really works and is demonstrably superior to just an OIS lens alone

* Implement 4K60p...again, without overheating

* A flip out VF would be nice, thank you. 

I'd be surprised to see if they really come up with something competitive to the GH5, but I'd certainly like to see that happen. It just seems to me that Sony is so set in their ways, they rarely deviate from the path. 

I've used Sony cameras for years, so I'd like to see them give Panasonic a run for their money. The more competition the better.

12 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

* Figure out the overheating issue

At least with the A7rii, I have never experienced overheating since the camera came out. But again if you are doing interviews or any other long recording then yes a GH5 is better and I can't see how Sony can fix it easily with a FF sensor in a small body. 

* Improve their color science

Color science is great with the Sony once you play with the settings! It is really. One of the reasons that I don't want to get the GH5 is the customization that Sony provides, and the footage that I have seen up until now from GH5 is not better in any way. Only some GH5 footage from J.Miller with his custom LUTs showed really really nice looking skin so while it is capable it needs post work (as Kholi mentioned as well). 

* Move to an IBIS that really works and is demonstrably superior to just an OIS lens alone

In my experience IBIS is better than any OIS, but it would be great if they can match EM1ii (doubt it). From the footage that I have seen from GH5 it is better than the Sony but not close to the Olympus. 

* Implement 4K60p...again, without overheating

that would be great

* A flip out VF would be nice, thank you. 

I assume you meant LCD? If yes then please no. One of the reasons I don't want the GH5 is the flip out LCD which makes it very clumsy and hard to use in a looking down shooting style. 

In any case, I think it would be wise to wait at least until NAB to see what is coming from the competition. As @elgabogomez mentioned, if they allow some kind of 10bit output and make the camera a bit faster to operate it would be already enough for me. 

25 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

What about the large portion of video shooters that never use AF? Seems like more of a hobbyist hangup than something that'd hold back a working pro. 

Hahahahahaha 

get out of your cave man. The "MF is for pro, AF for small hobbyists" is a thing of the past. 

Not so long ago we used MF in photography. Do you know many pro photographers shooting weddings photography in MF??

Nope. For video we are right at the curve now. In 5 years from now, 5% of pros using A7S like bodies will shoot MF in video. 

When you have used a Canon DPAF system you know it's the real deal, not only making your life a lot easier, but opening your creativity allowing shots impossible before (or very difficult for a one man operation).

Good luck run and gunning with swallo DoF with a DJI Ronin gimbal and your Manual focus camera mounted on it. 

25 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

At least with the A7rii, I have never experienced overheating since the camera came out. But again if you are doing interviews or any other long recording then yes a GH5 is better and I can't see how Sony can fix it easily with a FF sensor in a small body. 

Color science is great with the Sony once you play with the settings! It is really. One of the reasons that I don't want to get the GH5 is the customization that Sony provides, and the footage that I have seen up until now from GH5 is not better in any way. Only some GH5 footage from J.Miller with his custom LUTs showed really really nice looking skin so while it is capable it needs post work (as Kholi mentioned as well). 

In my experience IBIS is better than any OIS, but it would be great if they can match EM1ii (doubt it). From the footage that I have seen from GH5 it is better than the Sony but not close to the Olympus. 

that would be great

I assume you meant LCD? If yes then please no. One of the reasons I don't want the GH5 is the flip out LCD which makes it very clumsy and hard to use in a looking down shooting style. 

In any case, I think it would be wise to wait at least until NAB to see what is coming from the competition. As @elgabogomez mentioned, if they allow some kind of 10bit output and make the camera a bit faster to operate it would be already enough for me. 

Color is admittedly a subjective area, but I just don't like Sony's color relative to...just about anybody. With Panasonic's improved color first seen in the G85/GX85, to my eyes it's clearly better than any Sony I've used.

Overheating is something, like you, I never experienced. I have gotten overheating warnings, but I never got a shutdown. Others have. So it is an issue and 4K60p would certainly exacerbate the issue. So Sony has its work cut out for it.

Yes, I did mean the LCD, and again, it's subject. I much prefer a swing out LCD.

As for IBIS, it's far better in the Panasonic than either my A6300 or A7RII. A number of people who have used the GH5 say it's actually quite close in efficacy to the Olympus.

We shall see, but I'd be surprised if Sony does all these things with the next A7****. I hope I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Good luck run and gunning with swallo DoF with a DJI Ronin gimbal and your Manual focus camera mounted on it. 

Yes gimbals is one of the reasons you need good AF. 

Personally I find AF very useful when I have to use deep DoF. Because with shallow DoF you can easily tell from the LCD with or without focus assist where the focus is, but with f/5.6 and above it becomes pain in the ass to accurately estimate the focus point  unless you have a large external monitor. So many times I have ended up with slightly blurred footage because I though I focused correctly. I say no more, and its my belief that for a consumer video oriented camera proper AF is a must. 

No cave here but don't know many pros who rely on auto focus enough for it to be as high up the list of essentials as you seem to believe - also the A7s2 has crap af for stills and video, it's the A7r2 that is better but still nowhere near trustworthy.  Also an A7s3 is going to cost double what gh5 is, hardly in the same price bracket

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I predict that an A7SIII will be announced next month with GH5 like specs (probably not 10bit though?) with monstruous AF, dual SD, and lots of improvements.

rumors have been going in this way for a long time. 

Worth waiting IMO. 

GH5 with speed booster and shit AF is a no go for me in 2017. Even though I am buying it for my patagonia trip (the best camera is the one available now.....) I might get rid of it asap.

its gona overheat if they add 10bit 

why are saying AF is shit with speedbooster that camera only out Metabones dint even update there firmware yet so just be patient 

I have never had any overheating with my original A7s and that is even after trying to produce it to see what it would take.

I haven ever had any problem with Sony colour either and actually find it more true to life than most and never had any problem with any camera for colour having owned/used just about all brands over decades (mostly for stills).       At least with most Sony cameras, if you don't grade in video for around $10 you can buy the colour grading app and add many millions of variations that can literally take you years to try all the combinations.   I got the App with my A7 but have not needed it really.

I don't expect an A7sii to be any real competition to the GH5 (and don't expect the GH5 to be any competition to the A7siii either).

I think they will complement each other and (mostly) have different strengths and weaknesses.       

I think there will be a more expensive pro A7 series camera out before there is an A7siii aimed at both stills and video and it should be good at low light (as FF should be) but not the low light king.          

If that happens, then the A7s iii will still be crippled by comparison in some ways -maybe still CDAF only, AF I would expect to improve each generation but still not be all that great (compared to the best AF cameras), I would expect it to still be 20mp or less.

The first version A7s is my all time favourite camera so far and I expect to use it for a couple of years yet for my uses.      By the time I replace it (I hope), other formats will be as good in low light so I can have more choice.     Maybe I might find a phone good enough by then?     Who knows!

@TheRenaissanceMan + @kidzrevil

What about the large portion of video shooters that never use AF? Seems like more of a hobbyist hangup than something that'd hold back a working pro. 

Yeah...Modern AF cameras and generally electronic driven devices are for girlies and mollycoddles only. "Real" filmmakers shoot only with old sovjet cameras for max. 150 USD bought on Ebay. :glasses:

As I am not interested at all at full frame photography and have 3 X1.5 crop cameras from 20-28megapixels (28mgpxls is enough to do some serious cropping) and various lenses from 1.4f to whatever, the camera that can really benefit my job efficiency and workflow, it could only be a Canon C100markIII (or similar).

One of the reasons this camera isn't out yet, and instead the C300markII/C700 and even the XC15 are, is because Canon has to see what GH5 is capable of, because a lot of people won't pay a C line premium for a camera doing 1/5 of the things a 2000$ mirrorless can! Now, I just hope that C100 can do 3,5/5ths of the Panasonic, and add some of the Canon goodies, such Dual Pixel AF/ergonomics/battery/Canon color science and video file optimization (Canon Voodoo, really).

It is interesting thought, Panasonic, AGAIN, pushes the industry a bit further, and 2000$ for such a modern camera, that works reliably, is a bargain. 

4 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Hahahahahaha 

get out of your cave man. The "MF is for pro, AF for small hobbyists" is a thing of the past. 

Not so long ago we used MF in photography. Do you know many pro photographers shooting weddings photography in MF??

Nope. For video we are right at the curve now. In 5 years from now, 5% of pros using A7S like bodies will shoot MF in video. 

When you have used a Canon DPAF system you know it's the real deal, not only making your life a lot easier, but opening your creativity allowing shots impossible before (or very difficult for a one man operation).

When are people able to understand centrism as moderate viewpoint of the whole humankind in general has won the plea?!

For some good reason, right? ; )

The whole point, dudes, is the trend to extreme standpoints. To each its own.

What about a mid term?

That is, when both worlds can coexist altogether. Manual from film and analog environments don't necessarily mean absence of any sort of automation if this will bring some advantage. New jobs will be required for focus pullers. Upcoming techniques can't be stopped because people need to make bucks for living. Go and get a new life! -- stop for once to be morons...

Maybe, that's only me but, coming from Steenbecks, I am fully done with these pseudo-film-PROs trying to convince the world they still lead something or someone in this industry.

Anyways, on the other hand, this can't be read as you'll have a button able to decide what to put in focus or into the frame, c'mon...

: P

*Sigh*

What about peaking and some other features such as tap to focus or the new touch pull/follow focus aid brought by GH5 to set the point up?

;-)