Combo stands direct from China?

IronFilm

As I already do sound seriously, I'd like to get into the lucrative career of sound gripping, thus looking at grip gear to get... specifically these combo stands on Aliexpress (sorry, I can't afford anything better on my $10/day rate!). Anybody tried them before, what do they think of them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4m-studio-Combo-Stand-Tripod-Load-20kg-for-Light-2k-5k-HMI-Compact-Par-1-2k/32265490574.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PRO-3-4m-Combo-Stand-Tripod-load-40kg-for-Spotlight-5K-HMI-4K-M40/32796936968.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4m-Studio-Combo-Stand-Tripod-Load-20kg-for-Light-2k-5k-HMI-Compact-Par-1-2k/32596647221.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I doubt for that money they are going to be able to stand, pun intended, the rigors of travel day after day. Yeah might be a good way to break into the game, but I might look at used stuff say in LA areas. Even Craigslist out there has some crazy ass video gear for sale at times.

You can't wear out the high end stuff no matter how you beat on it. You can Not afford a failure in that business.

First of all, I'm in love with the sound grip jokes. Keep em coming; movie set memes has had me in stitches since the whole thing started.

Second of all, I'd second the Kupo Master Combo HD stand. B&H has them for $155 with free shipping right now, which is hard to beat.

Or if you're looking for something even studier, you could go for a used Matthews beefy baby. B&H regularly has used copies for ~$170. Just no built in combo head, if that's what you're after.

@IronFilm what do you want those heavy tripods?

@HockeyFan12 The union pay per day is 2-10.000$?! First of all, the difference is vast, how do you get paid? 2 or 10? For a documentary shooting of 40 days production, you are getting paid, let's say 5000$ X 40 = 200000$?! that is so hard to believe..

Here is around 70-150euros per day, most of the equipment including.

44 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@HockeyFan12 The union pay per day is 2-10.000$?! First of all, the difference is vast, how do you get paid? 2 or 10? For a documentary shooting of 40 days production, you are getting paid, let's say 5000$ X 40 = 200000$?! that is so hard to believe..

Here is around 70-150euros per day, most of the equipment including.

In Canada all Sound Grips get a flat $10/day.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

First of all, I'm in love with the sound grip jokes. Keep em coming; movie set memes has had me in stitches since the whole thing started.

Second of all, I'd second the Kupo Master Combo HD stand. B&H has them for $155 with free shipping right now, which is hard to beat.

Or if you're looking for something even studier, you could go for a used Matthews beefy baby. B&H regularly has used copies for ~$170. Just no built in combo head, if that's what you're after.

Ordering from B&H isn't really an option for these extremely heavy items when you live overseas :-/

@IronFilm What is a "Sound grip"?! 10$/day is a very low wage for anywhere in the Western world though, if you explain me what a "sound grip" is, and what it does, I can learn and comprehend it better.

Are you based in Canada now? I thought you were NZ.

The ones you have linked, I have work with most of those, but some were definitely Arri and other well know brands, so I can't really tell how good these knock-offs are, try to understand if the connections (joints) seem ok, the metal parts, will be metal parts, easily to copy and match, but the moving parts and "mechanisms" can be tricky.

All in all, some of those I remember using since 1999 (I still work with this production company from time to time!) and everything is still perfect (no service, no nothing, they just still work, while other smaller, cheaper, new ones, they already have issues).

9 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Or if you're looking for something even studier, you could go for a used Matthews beefy baby.

A combo stand is much sturdier than a baby stand.  Essentially, a combo stand is a junior stand that includes a smaller, pop-up baby pin.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ordering from B&H isn't really an option for these extremely heavy items when you live overseas :-/

I think Kupo is based in Korea, but I am fairly sure that they have worldwide dealers.  Their starting list price seems very competitive.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

but some were definitely Arri and other well know brands,

Not sure if Arri is considered a "well known brand" in regards to grip equipment.  I have never seen an Arri combo stand on set.

Avenger and Kupo are both good bets; in fact, I've heard rumblings that some Avenger products are rebranded Kupo gear. Can't say for sure though. If you can get reasonable shipping from any seller for either, I'd recommend going that route.

And @tupp, generally you are correct. In this instance, I'd say the Kupo combo stand is lighter duty than any junior I've ever used. Great for its price, but not as sturdy as a good junior imo. Ymmv

11 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

And @tupp, generally you are correct.

Thanks for the validation.

11 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

In this instance, I'd say the Kupo combo stand is lighter duty than any junior I've ever used. Great for its price, but not as sturdy as a good junior imo

I have never used the Kupo combo stand, but I have seen them at NAB and CineGear.  I have used Kupo contract stands (the ones that they make for other manufacturers), and they were good.

On the other hand, there is not much to a combo stand.  I can't recall ever having a huge problem with any particular brand.