GH5 test footage - Post it here!

64mulford

1 hour ago, midloch said:

When grading vlog I can not get nice smooth rich colors. After spending a lot of time by playing with colors, curves, saturation, RGB levels, gain, higlights etc. the image seems to me still very flat. I am not professional  colorist but I have done many short films with my previous G6 and it looks that its "basic" 1080p shoots were easier to grade.

Are you converting LOG into a specific color profile first? I find that Cineon to Film Contrast has the best interpretation of V Log. You still have to add a bit of saturation to get it looking like an "in camera" profile however.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Are you converting LOG into a specific color profile first? I find that Cineon to Film Contrast has the best interpretation of V Log. You still have to add a bit of saturation to get it looking like an "in camera" profile however.

I do not use any LUTs as I am not sure if it could be used properly in Vegas pro but I will search internet if there is some tutorial.

10 minutes ago, lmackreath said:

I assume you are being sarcastic and are saying the image is a bit faded or washed out for your liking?

My expensive high contrast monitors looses brilliance with grayed blacks :( Skin tones are still good looking :)

10 minutes ago, Davey said:

Stunning, though I cannot fully appreciate it as I don't have a high contrast monitor - let alone a series of them.

You really kill me. :) Beautiful footage, nice pastel colors. Also great to see someone using a trio of phenomenal MFT glass: the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4, the
Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8.

On 19.4.2017 at 9:10 PM, Emanuel said:

Now, SB Ultra + Vlog, handheld:

2 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

So far these have the colors I liked the most out of the videos I've seen (maybe forgotten some). Feature set of the GH5 is just really, really impressive. Curious how Sony will answer eventually but it's a solid offer and imho gets more criticism than it should.

I think this youtube channel is getting some good images out of the camera. Makes me believe in its narrative potential. I would like to see this person do some more controlled movement shots in this style to see how the camera and codec handles it as well as in some interior lighting to see if this natural look can be done. I also wish Panasonic would give some hint at what the 400mbs codec will bring, or what they hope we can achieve with it, and also when it will be released. Better footage is trickling in for the fence sitters which is a good thing.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:00 PM, Hanriverprod said:

I think this youtube channel is getting some good images out of the camera. Makes me believe in its narrative potential. I would like to see this person do some more controlled movement shots in this style to see how the camera and codec handles it as well as in some interior lighting to see if this natural look can be done. I also wish Panasonic would give some hint at what the 400mbs codec will bring, or what they hope we can achieve with it, and also when it will be released. Better footage is trickling in for the fence sitters which is a good thing.

Too stylized and too muddy for my taste, but hey, that's what makes the world go round. :)

On 4/21/2017 at 9:00 PM, Hanriverprod said:

The colors out of this camera are lovely...and if you were going to use this for narrative, i.e. 2 to 3  people minimum to operate it, I think one would really see it shine...what's missing for me in a lot of these samples (in fact I would go as far as to say most) is critical focus...perhaps just an issue of web footage, but I don't see this when looking at Alexa or Varicam or Red on the web...the footage we're seeing could benefit greatly from a good focus puller...as you would have for narrative...a measuring tape....focus marks for actors to hit and a FP concentrating on nothing but maintaining focus...while the operator is concentrating on nothing but framing the shot....the color and various looks achievable in 10 bit grading is already obvious...

16 hours ago, Emanuel said:

The benefits and beauty of moving a camera properly!

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Too stylized and too muddy for my taste, but hey, that's what makes the world go round. :)

I think it's more out of focus than anything!

3 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Really? For me, it evokes emotions even without a story. It doesn't look technical but evocative of a time and place. Still, you're right about it being kind of tonally deaf. You don't get the pleasing, soft separation of colors and still have them pop in some cameras with raw or higher bitrates. It seems like it's difficult to get to a good space between a haze of colors or something contrasty with rich colors.