GH5 test footage - Post it here!

64mulford

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi all,

Quick request: does anyone have any GH5 high speed files straight from camera they can share? Preferably v-log? Or indeed any straight from camera files they don't mind sharing.

Trying to make a purchasing decision and any and all help is greatly appreciated!

44 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Is the v-log graded with Panas 709 LUT?

No, these are 2 profiles selected when recording into GH5. The 1st. is profile like 709 and 2nd. is v-log. I graded them slightly manualy in Vegas pro14.

14 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Will you shoot with even lighting like this or some contrast? If you shoot like this and you plan to do minimal grading her skin looks better 709.

Yes it was shooted in the same conditions and I only made some manual grading in Vegas pro 14. To me it seems Like 709 better than v-log.

I have always thought that v-log is the best profile but now I am not so convinced unless it needs much better grading.

5 minutes ago, midloch said:

No, these are 2 profiles selected when recording into GH5. The 1st. is profile like 709 and 2nd. is v-log. I graded them slightly manualy in Vegas pro14.

Yes it was shooted in the same conditions and I only made some manual grading in Vegas pro 14. To me it seems Like 709 better than v-log.

I have always thought that v-log is the best profile but now I am not so convinced unless it needs much better grading.

Actually I wasn't asking if those two shots had the same lighting but if your project will be shot in a similar fashion.

Maybe use v-log for wide shots outside on bright days with strong shadows, but me personally, I haven't seen too many examples of people getting good skin tone from v-log. It seems like you get more stops but maybe it's harder to get good colors? I'm not sure, but it seems like it's more difficult to get nuanced skin tone. Most of the v-log footage I see it looks like people just throw those hazy desaturated luts on it. I wonder if we will see better grades with the 10bit from non-professional colorists. That's why I'm curious what pro colorists will think about the 10bit files. I see people getting better skin tone with indoor lighting using the picture profiles like natural and cine-d. If you're going to light that way and not get it graded by a colorist, she looks like she is alive and breathing with the 709. With the v-log, not so much .

2 hours ago, midloch said:

To me it seems Like 709 better than v-log.

If you can't get the nuance the V-log profile offers like hihglights, look at here hair and eyes, with the like709 profile, I would go for V-log. Skin tones you can adjust, you can't ad highlights(rolloff).

3 hours ago, midloch said:

I like 709 in your test. More natural looking.

When grading vlog I can not get nice smooth rich colors. After spending a lot of time by playing with colors, curves, saturation, RGB levels, gain, higlights etc. the image seems to me still very flat. I am not professional  colorist but I have done many short films with my previous G6 and it looks that its "basic" 1080p shoots were easier to grade.