Anyone not that excited about the GH5?

Shield3

On 4/2/2017 at 11:56 PM, Emanuel said:

But, no IBIS, no 4K/60p, brick size, etc.

I think people are freaking out on GH5 flaws, really overestimating them. You can have solid stabilized outcome based on S35/FF look coupled to a Speedbooster bandinglessly on more than adequate color sampling and high bitrate for soon or with a monitor which is a recorder too, after all, for more less than 1,000 bucks.

What's the big deal here?

To understand the sweet spot on AF settings or use tap to focus when run-n-gun?

C'mon pals, pixel peeping can be dangerous if taken overdosed ; ) There's no other similar camera for the price. End of story :-)

Emanuel, I think at times people are looking for excuses to not buy a given piece of equipment. Others are trying to defend equipment they already own by over-exaggerating flaws of new entries. I see this all the time and not just with cameras. It's human nature.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 27/03/2017 at 8:07 PM, deezid said:

I actually trust Kholi as well, but not this time. Comparing V-Log to S-Log on the A7sII? C'mon... 
If it is nearly as good as V-Log on the GH4 it'll put the A7sII to shame in terms of color science.

Watch my showreel to see what I mean:

Almost 99% internal V-Log!

And yes, I've been using the a7sII quite a lot, always struggeling with the color, even using different profiles and combinations (such as Cine4, Slog2/3 SGamut 3.cine/3/2 etc). On the GH4 I just hit the portrait profile with:
Contrast 0
Sharpening -5
NR -5
Saturation -2
Hue 1

And it looks almost identical to the color corrected RAW output of the FS5...

Superb reel, instant sub!

On 4/1/2017 at 10:41 PM, SuperSet said:

the autofocus performance did not impress me at all.

Just a general question to all:  how important is AF on these cameras to you?  I mean, I truly never use it.  Why does it matter to y'all in a practical motion-picture-shooting way?  Just seriously curious about the people that find it a huge benefit.  I admit I'm a little blind in this area as I'm an old-school manual focus guy simply because my era demanded it.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Just a general question to all:  how important is AF on these cameras to you?  I mean, I truly never use it.  Why does it matter to y'all in a practical motion-picture-shooting way?  Just seriously curious about the people that find it a huge benefit.  I admit I'm a little blind in this area as I'm an old-school manual focus guy simply because my era demanded it.

If you're shooting solo or flying on a gimbal, autofocus is very useful

9 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Emanuel, I think at times people are looking for excuses to not buy a given piece of equipment. Others are trying to defend equipment they already own by over-exaggerating flaws of new entries. I see this all the time and not just with cameras. It's human nature.

And in the meantime, not producing anything of note. This can go on for years as people await the next great instalment until one day they die with a showreel containing one cat from 1972.

19 hours ago, Davey said:

And in the meantime, not producing anything of note. This can go on for years as people await the next great instalment until one day they die with a showreel containing one cat from 1972.

Agree. 

But I did shoot around 3 paid gigs with the GH4 - nothing special at all. I concluded that need a I better image in this price range. A6500, original A7S, NX1, Nikon D750, EM ii, Canon Mark iii... these images impress the people you are filming. It usually looks better than what they are used to seeing (if you choose the right environment, style and grade for each). You have to battle with the GH4 footage to get the same results in post under most circumstances, except sit down, well lit interviews. But the others can impress with native profiles and native lenses.

The GH5 image looks great, compared to the GH4 - but in my view its not demolishing the others regarding breathtaking shots I consistently see with a camera search on vimeo narrowed to the last 30 days. NOTE - some shots are stunning, especially portrait/close ups w. bokeh

However, they have nailed the camcorder/dslr hybrid of 2017.

I would love to see an image comparison test with the DVX200 4K (similar price considering add-ons, lenses) to see if we are finally ready to admit we want camcorders back.