Anyone not that excited about the GH5?

Shield3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Kubrickian said:

The only GH5 video I've seen so far that I've really liked is James Miller's. All that it took was a Zeiss Otus and a 4k external recorder to accomplish a pristine baked-in-LUT downscale of 4k to 1080p. Every other test video simply doesn't have colors I like. The film look isn't there. If you told me all of it was shot with a GH4 I'd believe you. 

Very true. James Miller seems to have his stuff together on the GH5. I would guess he could do the same with about any camera. He does have talent. :glasses:

Like you say hands down the best output i have seen yet. I think it is going to take some time before a lot of people get the hang of the GH5. It is a different beast color which is a good thing.

Cancelled both GH5 pre-orders today.

Not liking what I'm seeing, unfortunately. Will stick with my Blackmagic Pocket and Micro until a Pocket successor comes out (hopefully).

Also, besides rolling-shutter, which I personally have no problem with, I am not finding the current GH5 image anymore superior to my A6500. Perhaps the 400Mbit ALL-I will change this?

Anyways, good luck to all those waiting on their pre-orders, hope you get them soon and make some amazing things with it. Enjoy!

5 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

Cancelled both GH5 pre-orders today.

Not liking what I'm seeing, unfortunately. Will stick with my Blackmagic Pocket and Micro until a Pocket successor comes out (hopefully).

Also, besides rolling-shutter, which I personally have no problem with, I am not finding the current GH5 image anymore superior to my A6500. Perhaps the 400Mbit ALL-I will change this?

Anyways, good luck to all those waiting on their pre-orders, hope you get them soon and make some amazing things with it. Enjoy!

5Dmkiii now can shoot 4K, OMG, I see the light at the end of the tunnel…..probably that could be an option for you

3 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

5Dmkiii now can shoot 4K, OMG, I see the light at the end of the tunnel…..probably that could be an option for you

But, no IBIS, no 4K/60p, brick size, etc.

I think people are freaking out on GH5 flaws, really overestimating them. You can have solid stabilized outcome based on S35/FF look coupled to a Speedbooster bandinglessly on more than adequate color sampling and high bitrate for soon or with a monitor which is a recorder too, after all, for more less than 1,000 bucks.

What's the big deal here?

To understand the sweet spot on AF settings or use tap to focus when run-n-gun?

C'mon pals, pixel peeping can be dangerous if taken overdosed ; ) There's no other similar camera for the price. End of story :-)

21 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

Nope, I'm happy with my Blackmagic Pocket and Micro :)

Also, not fond of ML RAW - the workflow is hell on Earth.

I'd agree, BMPCC successor if it ever happens would be magic. But both those cameras now are amazing for the price and what I want in an image, can't be beaten imo. 

ML RAW can be a little confusing at first, but if you have MLVFS it's actually as easy as any other camera to edit with and you get all the power of Raw for colour grading. MLVFS x Resolve is a great combo.

I never expected the GH5 to outclass the A6500 in terms of AF and sensor performance, I mean, it's 4/3" against APS-C and although we've come quite a way since the GH4, we're not close enough yet and think it would be pretty unrealistic to have expected otherwise? In terms of dynamic range, high ISO/lowlight noise performance, thickness of color perhaps (although these last two improved quite significantly), MFT still needs a bit of catching up. Same for the AF systems.

But... you have to appreciate it for the right features. It's basically an ENG/Cinema camera unit, that can be used as such, which means it's super effective in controlled environments, yet, its body design lends itself superbly for on-the-go use. It's reliable, has tons of intergrated features... like really, what is not to love?

On top of that: the system is actually compact with tons of possibilities. That's one of the main reasons I decided to go with the GH2 over a T2i/550D/T3i/600D. Mirrorless means more innovation and MFT is the more compact system. Compared to Sony, the body, reliability and system compactness is still so much better. That's also why for me it wouldn't even make much sense to look at a 5DmkIII...

21 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I never expected the GH5 to outclass the A6500 in terms of AF and sensor performance, I mean, it's 4/3" against APS-C and although we've come quite a way since the GH4, we're not close enough yet and think it would be pretty unrealistic to have expected otherwise? In terms of dynamic range, high ISO/lowlight noise performance, thickness of color perhaps (although these last two improved quite significantly), MFT still needs a bit of catching up. Same for the AF systems.

But... you have to appreciate it for the right features. It's basically an ENG/Cinema camera unit, that can be used as such, which means it's super effective in controlled environments, yet, its body design lends itself superbly for on-the-go use. It's reliable, has tons of intergrated features... like really, what is not to love?

On top of that: the system is actually compact with tons of possibilities. That's one of the main reasons I decided to go with the GH2 over a T2i/550D/T3i/600D. Mirrorless means more innovation and MFT is the more compact system. Compared to Sony, the body, reliability and system compactness is still so much better. That's also why for me it wouldn't even make much sense to look at a 5DmkIII...

Yet when I wrote virtually the same thing just days before the announcement... Anyway, the GH5 has exceeded my expectations, I've got one on order, should arrive by May at the latest. And from what I understand, though I'm still not sure if I'll use it, Paul Leeming says on his FB page that V-Log has two stops more dynamic range than Cinelike D, which wasn't the case for the GH4, at least as far as he could tell. And even with my G85, I'm able to shoot at much higher ISOs than with my GH4. So, m43 keeps marching along!