Decent FHD 60fps Cam

Elvis Peckeliunas

Hey, everyone.

So, now i'm using NX1, i love this cam, but several reasons spins in my mind to leave him. First: i don't like colors that i'm getting from it, i can't expose properly and DR is bad. The second one: after couple of years all gear would cost pennies and new updates as NX2 wouldn't be. All other things i just love: ergonomics, IQ, Full HD 120 fps and etc.

Now i'm searching for a cam that performs well in DR, shoots pretty sharp FULL HD 60fps, has mic plug in and would be good to have IBIS. Budget is up to 2000euro including lens. 

I searched by myself and found Panasonic G80/85(with metabones speedbooster) and Sony A7s. 

Panasonics has IBIS and a chance to use it with Sigma 18-35. But also has really low bitrate, only 28 at FHD (maybe there are some hacks?).

Sony A7s dynamic range is better, higher bitrate. But lack of IBIS and lens isn't versatile (mm range and high aperture), also it would cost a little more.

A6300/6500 i heard that they perform very bad at FHD, dynamic range, rolling shutter.

Any ideas? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

GH5 1080p up to 60fps is very sharp (reportedly on par with Canon C300), it has the best IBIS under Olympus EMI Mk II, and the best rolling shutter level you can get on an ILC right now. If you don't have to use the Metabones and 18-35 right now, you could get that for under 2000 euros. 

2 hours ago, Vladimir said:

First thing that came to my mind - BMMCC with 0.58x SB. And if u want to be even more compact - Fuji X-T2/X-T20 (can add some pistol grip stabilizer and still stay in mentioned budget). Both cameras have outstanding 1080p60 

The BMMCc option will likely go over the price limit when you add the monitor.

1 hour ago, Elvis Peckeliunas said:

GH5 + Metabones + Sigma 18-35 = out of my budget :/

Why not get a Panasonic lens to take full advantage of the AF, focus by touch and such? The Sigma is nice, but the 12-35/2.8 can be had really cheap used, other zooms for less.  Mic input/IBIS/60p leaves you with few choices.

6 hours ago, Elvis Peckeliunas said:

I work with promo videos, also shoot shortfilms for myself sometimes. I need more versatile camera, to go and shoot. BMMCC cam isn't look like that, it is more professional and needs more to think about your shot, maybe i'm wrong. I will take a look at XT2. Something else?

Actually with RAW you certainly can think less about shot than with 10/8bit codec. And it's not gonna be much bigger setup if you ok with shooting handheld. X-T20 is an option if you want to take also a photo and want to be compact as much as possible.

11 hours ago, Chrad said:

The BMMCc option will likely go over the price limit when you add the monitor.

lets calculate: BM Micro for $995 + 0.58x SB NikonF for $490 and some cheap 5" monitor for $200 and there's about $300 for which you can get some fast vintage prime. And if u going for used gears then u can squeeze some Merlin for stabilization to and get quite powerful video setup (yes, it's MF but that's where 1.75x crop come in handy) 

Try to read the sub forum about settings, the moding scene, and the such, and keep your NX for one more year, until we see a real competitive Canon M, maybe a Nikon mirrorless, and the next generation of Sony cameras,

or buy a C100mkII, absolutely brilliant 1080p, not much grading needed, ergonomics/battery great, very usable dual pixel AF, great low light performance.

If you do your research, trial and error a bit, you will find out soon that your options for your budget are less than you think. Most are missing things that now with your NX1 you are taking for granted, and you will miss after.