GH5 files not playing

thesoundone

Hi everyone, sincere apologies if this has already been posted. I'm on my phone and the search function doesn't seem to work..

Just got my GH5 today and I can't playback the footage in Quicktime or Davinci Resolve. I don't have another editing app on my home computer so can't be sure if the files playback in premiere or FCP. They seem to playback in apple motion. I have the camera set to 4k 10 bit 422. I can't seem to find much info online. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any input from GH5 users would be welcome.

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, thesoundone said:

Hi everyone, sincere apologies if this has already been posted. I'm on my phone and the search function doesn't seem to work..

Just got my GH5 today and I can't playback the footage in Quicktime or Davinci Resolve. I don't have another editing app on my home computer so can't be sure if the files playback in premiere or FCP. They seem to playback in apple motion. I have the camera set to 4k 10 bit 422. I can't seem to find much info online. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

"Home computer"? Have you tried VLC? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ 

23 hours ago, thesoundone said:

Cheers

Have to wait for updates to the programs or enable proxies, as of right now both programs struggle with the 10-bit files.

I don't have a GH5, but some time ago, I downloaded some original footage from the GH5. It was 4K h.264 10 bit 422.

I don't use premiere or FCP . I do have Davinci Resolve and some other editing software. I tried to edit ( grade ) the downloaded original footage , but nothing would accept it.

I can play the original footage with VLC and MPC-HC video players on my windows 10 PC.

I used HandBrake to transcode the 4K h.264 10 bit 422 footage to 4K h.264 8 Bit 420. I can now edit the transcoded footage in Davinci Resolve and a number of other video editors. Of course the advantages of 422 and 10 bit have been lost.

1 hour ago, OliKMIA said:

I had the same issue when the first 4k10 bits footage sample came out on this forum. You can convert in ProRes, DNxHD or Cineform until the NLE are updated

3 hours ago, Brian Flint said:

I used HandBrake to transcode the 4K h.264 10 bit 422 footage to 4K h.264 8 Bit 420. I can now edit the transcoded footage in Davinci Resolve and a number of other video editors. Of course the advantages of 422 and 10 bit have been lost.

Or be smart about it and use the Resolve and Premiere built in Proxy creation options so that the programs use the original files when rendering.

1 hour ago, pablogrollan said:

Has anyone tried Premiere? I have no problems to edit 422 10 bit 4K from the FS7 (XAVC is based on h264) so I imagine it should play them without issues...

On PC, with VLC player there is one or two frame grabs or glitches but otherwise plays smoothly. After moving the file to an SSD drive, the file plays on VLC without any issue at all.

In Premiere PC the icons in the project panel are grey until you mouse over for 2-8 seconds - then the image changes from media not available to the shot. They go back to grey after you move the mouse which is annoying if you edit via picture not description. 

For the PC Premiere timeline (6GB 780GTX) the PC goes into a high work state for a little while (UHD sequence linear colour), but as long as you wait a couple of seconds after that initial timeline placement everything plays back smoothly. Edits and transitions don't put it back to high work state. And far out it's beautiful. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried to import into Resolve Studio 12.5.4.026 (Mac) a single 4:2:2 10 bit DCI-4K file. Works fine! Transcoded into Prores 422 HQ in DCI-4K (4096x2160@24p) right inside Resolve Studio using Media Management, and it works fine as well!