Panasonic GH5 day zero

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"With these (f/1.2 native lenses) the GH5 is quite a low light monster and can easily go into a situation where you’d be pushing ISO 12,800 on a full frame camera. The low light performance quibbles people have over this camera are a myth, you just need the right glass."

So you stick a f/1.2 lenses on the GH5 and you got similar low light performance you would get on the a Sony A7 camera with a f/1.4 lens ? Um... Looks like Panasonic did some miracle on the GH5....
I'll wait until you spend some more "quality time" with your new baby ;) Enjoy

• Administrators
5 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

"With these (f/1.2 native lenses) the GH5 is quite a low light monster and can easily go into a situation where you’d be pushing ISO 12,800 on a full frame camera. The low light performance quibbles people have over this camera are a myth, you just need the right glass."

So you stick a f/1.2 lenses on the GH5 and you got similar low light performance you would get on the a Sony A7 camera with a f/1.4 lens ? Um... Looks like Panasonic did some miracle on the GH5....
I'll wait until you spend some more "quality time" with your new baby ;) Enjoy

Yeah it's only really about 1 stop behind a full frame camera, as long as you don't fuck up exposure. Although the A7S II is a bit more, 2-3 stops.

I have no problem with what the GH5 is doing at ISO 6400 with the gain from the Speed Booster XL and a fast EF lens...

I call that low light performance to compete with the 1D X Mark II ISO 12,800 & F1.4...

The A7R II without speed booster in full frame isn't very nice even at ISO 1600. In crop mode a different matter and acceptable at ISO 12,800.

38 minutes ago, 1-300 said:

Unfortunately, if you use GH 5, Metabones EF-MFT and EF zoom lens in combination, the camera freezes.

It is OK for single focus EF lenses.

Which adapter?  Which Canon lenses? 

I have the 0.67 XL adapter. 

My GH4/Metabones Speedbooster/Canon lenses work great!

Both my Canon EF 50/1.0 and 200/1.8, the AF works great.

I sincerely hope that Metabones update the firmware for GH5 use if there are problems!

Andrew, Congrats on your new GH5!

Now for the (2) two million dollar questions - if you would be so kind;

1. Does this camera have Crop Markers (2:35,2:40,1:85 etc...) ?

2. Does this camera have the Monochrome/ Black & White  (or whatever they call it now) option in which to view the EVF/LCD monitor ??

Thank you.

A quick question:
In 6K 4:3 mode, using normal lens (non anamorphic)  will the GH5 produce normal (1:1) aspect ratio, usable  image or a squeezed one?

I am asking, because if it can produce a 4:3 video image like SD cameras did-but at 6K resolution- it would theoretically be ideal for shooting video in portrait mode, for better green screen keying results, instead of the current 16:9 landscape shooting which throws away more than half of the captured image left and right due to the relatively short vertical size.

Day of shooting inside, darkened hall. As long as the subject not moving too much at 1/50th looks great.. at 3200 iso. Cleaner than the GH4 at 800 for sure. Video is amazing. No noise in shadows that I can see on first look. All mostly at F4 with the 12-60. I had idynamic and iresolution turned on today. Will need to try with them set off. 

Long time GH4 user here...I was GH5 hesitant at first...BUT I Gotta say, I have recently seen a few GH5 vids on vimeo and youtube that have blown me away.
The GH5 Welder video for example the colors are just great, some of the best I have seen...many people in the comments too have stated that they cant believe this was done on a GH5, to me they are very Alexa like.
Another I saw recently, just a sunset, no special postwork or anything, but I swear tho the colors ...I could never get those out of the GH4,and I am pretty proficient in Premiere and using Lumetri.
There is something about the colors that is really special, not too over the top, but far more dimension than the GH4, and I have seen some pretty decent skin tones too.
All in all this camera seems to be able to do me for several years,Just need to sell a few things, I cant wait to get one.