GH5 tips tricks and questions only

Orangenz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another battery test:

Panasonic 2:18

Kastar 0:58, 1:16

Power2000 1:24

BatteryPack 1:34

Wasabi - 2:19

So it looks like Wasabi has won the after-market battery competition. I also note that when going onto the charger it starts from 20% not 40% like the others. So it gets flatter while maintaining an operating voltage to the camera. 

I will test some.  I have kastar (garbage, first one wouldn't hold charge, second one like half of my dste), DSTE, and just bought some newmowa because I heard they are also as long as the wasabis.

The DSTE so far doesn't feel as good as the panny but I haven't tested.

The newmowa does come with a plastic case for the battery though.

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

Hey quick question i got V-Log today and my base ISO starts from 400 is that normal or am doing something wrong here?

Yup, starts at 400! Don't forget to turn the lut monitor thing on, makes seeing whats on screen easier

9 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

I will test some.  I have kastar (garbage, first one wouldn't hold charge, second one like half of my dste), DSTE, and just bought some newmowa because I heard they are also as long as the wasabis.

The DSTE so far doesn't feel as good as the panny but I haven't tested.

The newmowa does come with a plastic case for the battery though.

My procedure was - charge to full, start recording without playing in menus. I used 4k 25p 422, 10bit, LCD open and on, two 128GB sd cards so recording could continue from one to the other, leave it  filming leaves outside (the leaves outside, the camera inside). Once it stops, take the cards and read the duration off each of the clips and add them together for total time. 

GH5: 4k 8-bit 24p 100mbps

SD: 2x Lexar 128gb UHS-II (don't use these, GH5 no likey Lexar)

IBIS on, screen on, relay mode for cards, just filming a static scene against a wall.

Panasonic - 2:19 - longest.

DSTE - 1:51 (111mins) - when it shows 1 bar replace quickly.  Charges faster than memowa.

Memowa - 1:45 (105mins) - flatter curve so 1 bar lasts a while.

Kastar - 0:58 - Sad. (first one wouldn't hold charge)

Not really impressed by run times.  Oh well.  Keep in mind the variable quality between batteries so this might not be representative of the brands.

50 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

GH5: 4k 8-bit 24p 100mbps

SD: 2x Lexar 128gb UHS-II (don't use these, GH5 no likey Lexar)

IBIS on, screen on, relay mode for cards, just filming a static scene against a wall.

Panasonic - 2:19 - longest.

DSTE - 1:51 (111mins) - when it shows 1 bar replace quickly.  Charges faster than memowa.

Memowa - 1:45 (105mins) - flatter curve so 1 bar lasts a while.

Kastar - 0:58 - Sad. (first one wouldn't hold charge)

Not really impressed by run times.  Oh well.  Keep in mind the variable quality between batteries so this might not be representative of the brands.

But two reference brands give same result to the minute as mine so nice test! Science around the world :)

On 14/04/2017 at 3:58 PM, Emanuel said:

Exactly. XL is all the way to go once beyond an extra 1/3 stop, you get more or less the same focal length at least, if not even wider -- 16 against 19 (FF equivalent):

(18mm * 0,64 = 11,52 * 1,28 = 14,7456** with vignetting, but)

20mm * 0,64 = 12,8 * 1,28 = 16,384** without vignetting (according to some reports)
25mm * 0,64 = 16 * 1,28 = 20,48** without vignetting

On Ultra without vignetting:

18mm * 0,72 = 12,96 * 1,48 = 19,1808**

On the other end, you can lose zoom range with:

35mm * 0,64 = 22,4 * 1,28 = 28,672**

against:

35mm * 0,72 = 25,2 * 1,48 = 37,296**

Nothing a pretty affordable 50mm f/1.4 (1 stop faster then) won't solve:
50mm * 0,64 = 32 * 1,28 = 40,96**

** FF 35mm format equivalent

:-)

I stand corrected my previous calculation:

On 3/24/2017 at 8:22 AM, hyalinejim said:

@Orangenz

1. When using a view assist lut, are zebras and waveform based on the underlying V-Log, or on the lut?

2. How is dynamic range in Rec709L versus V-Log?

Cheers!

Zebras and waveform are based on V-Log. 

"Like 709" does not have the dynamic range. Outside shooting will be better with Log. But my own experience with "like 709" is that it has beautiful colors and is a top candidate for best "out of the camera look" for inside shooting, interviews, etc...if you don't want to grade.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:15 AM, manueldomes said:

When using a speedbooster, do you set the lens focal length to the actual focal length of the lens, or to the speedboosted one? So far I seem to be getting better results with the latter, but hard to confirm this...

Probably answered earlier, but if not: focal length should be set to the length the speed booster creates from the lens. 

So, if you have a FD 50mm lens with a 0.72 speed booster, the focal length you enter into the camera is 50 X .72= 36mm

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 8:22 PM, jonpais said:

Before, Paul Leeming recommended setting zebras at 100% for the GH4 with Vlog; now he's suggesting 80% for Vlog with the GH5, 100% for CineLike D.

I say expose for 90 - 95% zebras. That upper range of cinelike d is tricky. The highlight roll off color channel clipping in the 90-100 range is so sudden and ugly

5 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I say expose for 90 - 95% zebras. That upper range of cinelike d is tricky. The highlight roll off color channel clipping in the 90-100 range is so sudden and ugly

Recently, he's also recommending reducing saturation by -2.

51 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I agree. Terrible tbh.
I would rather have up to 1 stop less dynamic range, but great (not quite Fuji like) color and a nice rolloff using the Natural profile (0 -5 -5 -2 0)

16 minutes ago, deezid said:

I agree. Terrible tbh.
I would rather have up to 1 stop less dynamic range, but great (not quite Fuji like) color and a nice rolloff using the Natural profile (0 -5 -5 -2 0)

Does Natural really have nicer color and rolloff? Because in my tests, Natural has a strong reddish cast and harsh contrast when compared to Cinelike D... just wondering.