GH5 tips tricks and questions only

Orangenz

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Exactly. XL is all the way to go once beyond an extra 1/3 stop, you get more or less the same focal length at least, if not even wider -- 16 against 19 (FF equivalent):

(18mm * 0,64 = 11,52 * 1,28 = 14,7456** with vignetting, but)

20mm * 0,64 = 12,8 * 1,28 = 16,384** without vignetting (according to some reports)
25mm * 0,64 = 16 * 1,28 = 20,48** without vignetting

On Ultra without vignetting:

18mm * 0,72 = 12,96 * 1,48 = 19,1808**

On the other end, you can lose zoom range with:

35mm * 0,64 = 22,4 * 1,28 = 28,672**

against:

35mm * 0,72 = 25,2 * 1,48 = 37,296**

Nothing a pretty affordable 50mm f/1.4 (1 stop faster then) won't solve:
50mm * 0,64 = 32 * 1,28 = 40,96**

** FF 35mm format equivalent

:-)

Thanks for the precise math!...my speedbooster XL is Nikon mount, and you're right....it will go wider than the Ultra as one can zoom and note where the vignette disappears and you gain an actual 1/3 of a stop over the ultra too....really a no brainer when it comes to a choice of buying either the XL or the Utra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Thanks for the precise math!...my speedbooster XL is Nikon mount, and you're right....it will go wider than the Ultra as one can zoom and note where the vignette disappears and you gain an actual 1/3 of a stop over the ultra too....really a no brainer when it comes to a choice of buying either the XL or the Utra

Even going with 22mm (some other reports mention vignetting until 21mm), it is (*0,64) = 14,08 *1,28 = 18,0224 FF equivalent, so the XL version is actually a no-brainer anyways :-)

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I always bet on hybrid stuff... cameras, modes (AF, that is, but based on touchscreen focus for sure and MF too, oh yeah, no machine will decide where focus is better than me ; )

But, you still have marvelous 4K/60p, count on it! :-)

4K/60fps is interesting only in anamorphic mode, otherwise I had no need for it :)

Anyways, AF in VFR won't work, according to the manual, but at least I made the TAP focus work, however I got very different result than the forumers stated in your links, hunting was present. Tried out the FOCUS PULL feature, it will be a lifesaver.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 19.09.59.png

6 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

4K/60fps is interesting only in anamorphic mode, otherwise I had no need for it :)

Anyways, AF in VFR won't work, according to the manual, but at least I made the TAP focus work, however I got very different result than the forumers stated in your links, hunting was present. Tried out the FOCUS PULL feature, it will be a lifesaver.

The focus pull feature is actually the only time I could see not using manual focus...truth be told, the main reason I bought the Leica 12-60

8 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Have you checked the settings for tap-to-focus? Perhaps a sweet spot may save the grace in order to prevent any hunting?

3 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

The focus pull feature is actually the only time I could see not using manual focus...truth be told, the main reason I bought the Leica 12-60

I also find tap-to-focus pretty useful and a midway between AF and manual. Also possible to go from AFC and MF, so maybe with different results?

Ok stupid question from me: for IBIS with manual lens you input the focal length of the lens right?  (Not the 35mm equivalent with 2x crop factor.)

For example you put on 50mm lens, you enter 50mm.  You use normal speedbooster and 50mm, you enter 35mm.  

Is this right?  The manual doesn't explain this. I got confused the first time I used it and put in 70mm for SB+50mm (35*2)

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Ok stupid question from me: for IBIS with manual lens you input the focal length of the lens right?  (Not the 35mm equivalent with 2x crop factor.)

For example you put on 50mm lens, you enter 50mm.  You use normal speedbooster and 50mm, you enter 35mm.  

Is this right?

Yes.

Update: Focus transition does work with SB+Sigma 18-35mm

Using the focus transition with the SB+Sigma 18-35mm does work provided you use the AF function from the camera to set the points.  Previously I used MF to set the focus points and this did not work as the camera would not return to the previously set point.  Presumably you should not touch the focus ring during the entire process or you might throw it off.

Can't seem to update my previous post now.

11 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Update: Focus transition does work with SB+Sigma 18-35mm

Using the focus transition with the SB+Sigma 18-35mm does work provided you use the AF function from the camera to set the points.  Previously I used MF to set the focus points and this did not work as the camera would not return to the previously set point.  Presumably you should not touch the focus ring during the entire process or you might throw it off.

Can't seem to update my previous post now.

Does tap-to-focus work with SpeedBooster + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 too?

By now it should be obvious that if you need useable and consistent af-c this camera is not for you.  

There's only 2 cameras I can think of with decent IQ that do it - $15k c300 mk ii and little box of compromises A6500.  I probably missed a few... Xt2? But it has no touch screen and no ibis.

You will need to wait a while until the next cycle or two...

26 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

By now it should be obvious that if you need useable and consistent af-c this camera is not for you.  

There's only 2 cameras I can think of with decent IQ that do it - $15k c300 mk ii and little box of compromises A6500.  I probably missed a few... Xt2? But it has no touch screen and no ibis.

You will need to wait a while until the next cycle or two...

Not sure who you're talking to. I think there are cameras with better afc but this is quite usable and consistent. This thread is not for opinions and discussions about such things. There are, however, many many threads that would greatly benefit from such input. 

4 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Not sure who you're talking to. I think there are cameras with better afc but this is quite usable and consistent. This thread is not for opinions and discussions about such things. There are, however, many many threads that would greatly benefit from such input. 

I second that : ) Actually, I'd really like to simply know if... does tap-to-focus work with SpeedBooster + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 too? :-)

I had no issue, but that's because my settings were as described in the answer that followed on that page:

"Okay, using parkgt's feedback, I figured out how to get it to work as well. AFS (not AFF) has to be selected both within the camera setting and on the external AF switch. If the menu setting is set to AFF OR the external AF switch is set at AFC, the manual override/lock button won't work. From what I've read the selection of AFS or AFF doesn't impact the autofocus capabilities of the camera, so I don't see any drawback in making this change."

Ok doing some runandgun today and encountered this several times: gh5 a bit laggy, hit record, takes like 5-6 (or more) seconds before camera starts recording. Happened at least 3 times today.  Also a but laggy in general some times. 

Anyone else get this? Saw a Reddit post on it but not many answers.

Shooting in movie mode, manual everything and MF.  Stabilizer on.

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Ok doing some runandgun today and encountered this several times: gh5 a bit laggy, hit record, takes like 5-6 (or more) seconds before camera starts recording. Happened at least 3 times today.  Also a but laggy in general some times. 

Anyone else get this? Saw a Reddit post on it but not many answers.

Shooting in movie mode, manual everything and MF.  Stabilizer on.

Not a feature! Local shop you got it from?

1 minute ago, Neumann Films said:

That's what we did in the tutorial as well.

So many videos to watch, so sleepy! :flushed: sorry, just seemed quicker as I had the screeny already.

This is so much fun! The mxf wrapper trick makes it cut like butter and vlog looks gorgeous.