GH5 tips tricks and questions only

Orangenz

Played with some converted cubes to vlt files in the gh5 tonight. They are definitely not looking the same in camera as the cube luts within fcp x, but are a far bigger improvement over just recording with a log preview.  The included rec709 lut seems to work well however, so I might use that instead of my converted ones.

James millers latest deluts pack for the gh5 does include vlt files he has created so maybe they will look better in cam than the cube converted ones..

Will post some tests tomorrow 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you upgrade to V-LOG yet orangenz?

Panasonic only list V-LOG activation code for GH4 on their website, but I guess it's the same thing. Does it come in the post on a printed card or is it sent instantly digitally?

I pre-purchased the card code so had it ready to apply. The code would have worked for any of the pana cameras, yes same thing. 

Out doing some shooting today with it. 

IMG_20170323_151936.jpg

1 hour ago, buggz said:

Anamorphic desqueeze in the camera display?  Is this an option?  I would like this.

Not yet anyway.

13 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

@Orangenz

1. When using a view assist lut, are zebras and waveform based on the underlying V-Log, or on the lut?

2. How is dynamic range in Rec709L versus V-Log?

Cheers!

Based on the vlog. The 709L looks like same range as normal profiles, just with different color. Vlog shows as very compressed on waveform.

Also, the eyepiece is nice and soft. Easy to use with glasses. 

Specks, I don’t think it’s mentioned yet.

They are all over footage with higher ISO. I would like to know when they popup and why it pops up. To mask noise? To give the footage a more film like appearance? Something else entirely…

The screenshot is taken from footage Gordon Lang shared Vlog 3200iso 25p 10bit. Added some contrast to make it more visible and pointed out a couple of them.

specks.jpg
https://vimeo.com/203993300

12 hours ago, bunk said:

Specks, I don’t think it’s mentioned yet.

They are all over footage with higher ISO. I would like to know when they popup and why it pops up. To mask noise? To give the footage a more film like appearance? Something else entirely…

The screenshot is taken from footage Gordon Lang shared Vlog 3200iso 25p 10bit. Added some contrast to make it more visible and pointed out a couple of them.

specks.jpg
https://vimeo.com/203993300

3200 is clean. Plus this is completely off topic, in the wrong thread, and you didn't point out the snipers or aliens. 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

so offloading the SD card is twice as fast as USB-C?

Using a Transcend ts-rdf8k usb3 card reader is twice as fast as usb-C. Also, at the rate this thing eats batteries you don't want to have the camera on if you don't need to. Batteries seem to take ages to charge too?

8 hours ago, Orangenz said:

3200 is clean. Plus this is completely off topic, in the wrong thread, and you didn't point out the snipers or aliens. 

How is this not on topic?

The thread tittle is Gh5 -tips -tricks-and-questions.

My questions is about specks -not noise- …grain if you like, that are/is artificial added to the footage as in, it’s a feature not a bug.
Is it possible to have any influence on this new feature? …with NR settings for instance.

Your answer: 3200 is clean.

I’s not forbidden to not reply, if you don’t know the answer.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:36 PM, Orangenz said:

Not yet anyway.

On 3/25/2017 at 9:47 PM, buggz said:

Anamorphic desqueeze in the camera display?  Is this an option?  I would like this.

Does anyone know if in camera anamorphic desqueeze is this a planned update?  
Or not planned?
I can't remember all the news...

AUDIO

Handy tip on GH5 audio recording (any digital audio actually). If you go into the GH5 mic level setting you can see more clearly there are marks there showing at -12 dB part way along the scale. This is very important. It doesn't matter if you are using external or internal mics, the point of those marks is to show where the optimal recording level is. If your levels are half way between that mark and the top of the scale then the recording is way too loud. Basically think half above, half below that -12dB mark. You can peak over but you want most of your audio sitting at -12. This produces a quieter volume but a sound that has the maximum dynamic range and quality for the device being used. The standard thing is to record low, normalise in post. Different audio recorders have this mark at different places (Tascam is closer to -18 I think). The default sensitivity (0) is usually too sensitive on the GH5. For the adaptor you will want to the ACC switch turned off. For other devices this usually just ends up boosting room noise when you're not talking. 

On 24/03/2017 at 11:46 PM, lmackreath said:

There are a couple of ways, there is a free tool online called LUTcalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html Easy to use and understand but let me know if you struggle.

The other way is to do this in davinci resolve.Simple apply an existing cube lut to some footage, and then in the colour editing screen you can right click on the clip and export the LUT to a .vlt file... any problems let me know!

I presume this is how to set it up?

Lut_Calc.jpg

Hi everyone, 

A quick question for those who already have their GH5 - what setting do I use when using a fully manual lens such as the voigtlander 25mm? With the GH4 I used to use the "Shoot without lens" option but that setting is no longer there.

I looked through the manual but couldn't seem to find the relevant information.

Thanks in advance

Josse ?

When I am in replay mode (to view footage already shot), what physical button can I press to start playing the footage? I keep pressing on the Menu button because it seems natural to me, but the only way it works is to press the play icon on the screen. I don't understand why the Menu button does not start Play, since it works like that on most cameras I owned.