What am I Doing Wrong?

jonpais

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well when I click on the bottom picture to make it full sized I think it looks about perfect. Certainly better. Well your neck area looks too Red, but if you fix that problem your face will be ashen looking.

Hell, maybe you Are a Redneck!

By the way I am looking at this on a 30" sIPS 2k monitor that has been calibrated.

8 minutes ago, Davey said:

Export a master file from FCPX (best quality) and then upload that straight to YouTube. Cut the MPEG Streamclip out of the equation and see what happens.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try hitting 'share' and exporting directly from FCP

37 minutes ago, Davey said:

Export a master file from FCPX (best quality) and then upload that straight to YouTube. Cut the MPEG Streamclip out of the equation and see what happens.

It worked. I just uploaded the Master File, no Mpeg Streamclip, and it looks normal. I wonder if I'm going to have to go ahead and re-upload 100 of my videos? Here's the one I just uploaded straight from the Master.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.35.37 AM.png

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I see similar issues in various players and browsers.

EOSHD Pro Color compensates for it a bit but still annoying.

Computer industry should be ashamed.

Safari and Chrome display/render colours (particularly red) differently on the same displays for some reason. I also find there is a difference in overall exposure sometimes, or at least it appears that way due possibly to what happens to particular dominant colours.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is MPEG Streamclip doing differently to mess up colour?

Not sure. Maybe I've seen this problem in the past, but didn't pay enough attention. Bad thing is, I've got to check all my earlier videos. Good thing is it's quicker to drag and drop master file than to process with Mpeg Streamclip. I've been doing it that way for years. OMG!

@jonpais export with MP4 from FCPX, youtube won't reencode the video and will be uploaded in a matter of seconds. It should fix the issue if the export is correct. If you don't have the setting, get Compressor and create one. Just for the peace of mind will be worth it.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not sure. Maybe I've seen this problem in the past, but didn't pay enough attention. Bad thing is, I've got to check all my earlier videos. Good thing is it's quicker to drag and drop master file than to process with Mpeg Streamclip. I've been doing it that way for years. OMG!

Yeah, was wondering why the extra step. I only ever use the master file. YouTube do enough video wrecking without inviting anybody else to have a go.

This is a problem with Color Profile handling which can affect color, saturation, and contrast (gamma). Adobe finally fixed their handling of it for stills with the latest version of Photoshop CC 2017. You can see it by going to File / Export / Export As, select JPG, then click Color Space / Convert to sRGB. Your image will become too red with a magenta shift. Then click Embed Color Profile and it will look correct.

In OSX, if you select an MP4 and hit space, the image is undersaturated and flat (same with QuickTime Player). Then right-click and select VLC to playback (you've installed it, right?), and it looks closer to correct- saturation and contrast. As you've noticed, some browsers handle Color Profiles correctly, some don't.

Knowing this, you'll see why it's important to have your final output as 'centered' as possible so when viewed on an 'off' device (including crazy TV settings such as "Vivid"), your material still looks reasonable. The reason this hasn't been fixed is it's a complex problem, and most end users aren't even aware there's an issue.

When color grading, your eyes can become accustomed to 'wrong' colors, and until others point out the issues, you won't even know there's an issue. That's why calibrated monitors are important, and why looking away from the screen periodically, and at others images periodically (with completely different colors, especially complementary colors), during grading to keep your eye-brain color system from becoming OK (accommodated) with 'off' colors.

I should say the reason I was using MPEG Streamclip is that it was recommended to me years back when I was still shooting with the Panasonic TMC900 camcorder. I also used to have problems with colors becoming desaturated when uploading to YouTube, and being able to select x264 in MPEG Streamclip pretty much solved the problem. MPEG Streamclip also reduces file sizes, greatly reducing upload times. For example, a recent 16GB clip was pared down to less than 2GB in MPEG Streamclip. Uploading the original Master Files to YouTube will take a great more time. As far as quality goes, aside from the improvement in color (no more cherry red skin), my YouTube videos with and without MPEG look virtually identical. I did a quick check of my older videos and can see they are more red, but not enough to make me go ahead and re-upload each and every single video a second time. I will also try exporting my next finished project directly to YouTube from inside FCP and see if the colors are true.