ON THE STREETS OF TOKYO

jhnkng

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Btw, did you mean it is harder to nail a look with the Micro because you have more choices or due to color issues with the Micro Raw footage?

I don't know enough about grading to bring life to a log image without a LUT, and the LUTs I have all seem to be about 25% too strong. And some of them impart this faux film aesthetic that I'm not overly fond of, and while it's a look that serves well on some projects, but it's not appropriate for the job I'm currently working on. So it's been a journey to find a grade that I'm happy with, but we're getting there. The Nikon is so damn easy that it's spoiled me a little, but if I have a job with a quick turnaround I would 100% pack the Nikon than the Micro.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

What footage I have seen out of the A9 look the best I have Ever seen on a Sony to be honest. Might be the 6k down sampled to 4k. I don't know or new Color Science, or both.

I haven't seen much, I'm mostly interested in that camera for the stills side rather than motion. But I've worked with the A7s2 and the A7r2 (both stills and motion) and the image has been lovely, so as long as it's as good as those cameras I think I'd be pretty happy with it.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 29/05/2017 at 1:38 AM, mercer said:

Okay John, one last question about the 1080p... did you use Digital IS in this video along with the Sigma's OIS? If so, is there any crop?

Haha, no worries, I didn't use the Electronic VR, I just used the OIS on the lens. I've not tried it both on, but as far as I know they don't talk to each other so I suspect there are occasions where each system will work against each other. Neither the Electronic VR or the OIS on that lens is that great anyway, it'll help you handhold a tripod shot but it won't give you smooth motion.