Trading 1DC for a7R II?

Dave Maze

I'm shooting YouTube content. I want good autofocus. I want something I can Vlog with and shoot great stills with. A7R II seems like the best for me but I romantically love my 1DC still. I'm fighting the love I have for it but know that practically the Sony is a better option. Should I wait for NAB? I have an opportunity to literally just trade my 1DC for an a7R II. I can't do a7S II I need good autofocus 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

A7R II autofocus isn't that great for video, not that reliable.

And you'd have to replace all your EF lenses with E-mount to benefit from the video lock-on AF at all.

Of course the 1D X Mark II is the best 4K camera for Dual Pixel AF but it's pricy.

Do you only do YouTube and nothing else?

What I'd do in your situation is keep the 1D C and just get a cheap 2nd camera with good AF for the YouTube like the Samsung NX1 or if you don't care about 4K, the EOS M5, which does at least have Dual Pixel AF!

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

A7R II autofocus isn't that great for video, not that reliable.

And you'd have to replace all your EF lenses with E-mount to benefit from the video lock-on AF at all.

Of course the 1D X Mark II is the best 4K camera for Dual Pixel AF but it's pricy.

Do you only do YouTube and nothing else?

What I'd do in your situation is keep the 1D C and just get a cheap 2nd camera with good AF for the YouTube like the Samsung NX1 or if you don't care about 4K, the EOS M5, which does at least have Dual Pixel AF!

Thanks Andrew! 4k is important to me. Ya...you're right. My 1DC is such a jewel. The 1DX II is too far out of my price range. What about getting a used a6300 or something for cheap 4k vlogging? The M5 video compression I am seeing looks pretty terrible. More so than even the 80d. I would rather get a Canon 80d than an M5 I think. 

Why not buy a used Canon C100? All your lenses will fit, and if you get one with the DPAF they work pretty well focus wise. And if you take the top handle off they are not much bigger than your 1Dc. I know it is not FF but you are talking a real video camera.....

Ahh I didn't see the 4k part. Never mind LoL. Does it having a 4k sensor in it count? :grin:

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Why not buy a used Canon C100? All your lenses will fit, and if you get one with the DPAF they work pretty well focus wise. And if you take the top handle off they are not much bigger than your 1Dc. I know it is not FF but you are talking a real video camera.....

Ahh I didn't see the 4k part. Never mind LoL.

Ive thought about C100 mkii for sure. Maybe NAB will give us a C100 mk3 with 4k. 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I knd of think Canon sort of Has to have one with 4k in it. But we are talking Canon here. :expressionless:

I kind of think they are going to do 3K. Spec geeks will moan, actual users will realize that's plenty for most content out in the wild.

On the original topic. I would go Panasonic for a V-log camera, the sony's video AF is only good with the Batis and G Master lens lines. So if you go Sony, expect a lens investment as well. Plus, for me Video AF without a touch screen to select focus point is useless unless you want your camera making the AF decisions.

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Thanks Andrew! 4k is important to me. Ya...you're right. My 1DC is such a jewel. The 1DX II is too far out of my price range. What about getting a used a6300 or something for cheap 4k vlogging? The M5 video compression I am seeing looks pretty terrible. More so than even the 80d. I would rather get a Canon 80d than an M5 I think. 

M5 is a decent camera.