C-LOG coming to 5D mk IV

wolf33d

3 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

if 5d IV get C-log and a better crop, even with the $500 update, I will be looking my wallet the next year waiting for a discount, extra many from heaven, whatever, to get one of this, and i am sure a lot of people will be doing the same…..

Well, that was exactly my point, they are probably adding those features because of the pressure from competition, so they can attract some video guys to improve sales.

Btw, that is your choice, but how many people are there like me who would rather buy 2 GH5s or 2 Fuji XTs for the price of one 5D

19 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Canon cameras have the best image

You have to be a little more precise about this, because saying it like this in general, simply it is not true and it varies between different camera models. I believe you meant colors and that can be quite subjective, for my taste Fuji has even better colors and Nikon has very neutral and true to life colors, which I also like just for that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, sudopera said:

Well, that was exactly my point, they are probably adding those features because of the pressure from competition, so they can attract some video guys to improve sales.

Btw, that is your choice, but how many people are there like me who would rather buy 2 GH5s or 2 Fuji XTs for the price of one 5D

You have to be a little more precise about this, because saying it like this in general, simply it is not true and it varies between different camera models. I believe you meant colors and that can be quite subjective, for my taste Fuji has even better colors and Nikon has very neutral and true to life colors, which I also like just for that.

I mean color and skintones, yes, Fuji is OK for me too, but i stay with Canon, FF over M43 or APS-C any day of the week, just personal choice…..

4 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I mean color and skintones, yes, Fuji is OK for me too, but i stay with Canon, FF over M43 any day of the week, just personal choice…..

I get your point completely, I chose a few years ago to buy Nikon D750 instead of GH4 because DR and colors meant more to me than resolution, but I think as years go by competitors are simply offering much more in video features than Canon/Nikon in that lower price range.

9 minutes ago, sudopera said:

I get your point completely, I chose a few years ago to buy Nikon D750 instead of GH4 because DR and colors meant more to me than resolution, but I think as years go by competitors are simply offering much more in video features than Canon/Nikon in that lower price range.

I totally understand your point ether, and is very valid, but I think many people is going to choose the GH5 to use it with a metabones, which is adding 700 more bucks to the credit card, and if Canon release this upgrade for free (finger crossed), well, it will certainly cut some GH5 profit….

On 3/22/2017 at 6:22 PM, Ty Harper said:

As promising as all this is, doesn't it kind of begin to undermine the official difference between the 'C' and non C lines? And in bigger terms does it signal a significant and deeper shift in Canon's marketing strategy and philosophy moving forward?

It undermines nothing. These are still DSLRs. Adding Log does not change that fact.

If this rumor is true, one can only assume Canon has underestimated the amount of video users that purchased the 5diii for video only and they aren't selling nearly as many Mark IVs as they projected.

And if this is the case, I would not be surprised if they also include 4K 60p in a future update as well. Now the 1DXii is a different beast altogether, a pro photographers tool that has been on the market for over a year now. I would expect a 1DCii, at a comparable price, before I would expect a c-log update for the 1DXii.

22 minutes ago, ade towell said:

OMG!!!....1.27x for DCI 4K and 1.29x for UHD 4K, plus C-log....sorry GH5, but Canon is going to bit you hard, no way I could choose a GH5 over a 5dmkiv now....

Looks like there is new version of 5d iv with improved heatsink coming, guess older 5d IV won't be able to handle new improved firmware well due to heat issue? 

Anyway 5d doesn't have ibis which means for some still deal breaker, I hardly use my monopod with ibis machines which gives me much more freedom.

Goodnews to some my friends who got iv mainly for still, maybe they can branch out video for real lol

1 minute ago, fuzzynormal said:

Rumors, specs, and then, finally, in-the-field-reality.  Once part three of that equation is happening let me know.

Regardless, looks like competition could be moving the needle a bit.

Agreed, but Canon always delivers, even when the specs do not. 

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV C-Log Update:

All video output will still be 8-bit.

Sampling for DCI 4K will be increased to a 5632 x 2970 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.27x Crop factor.

Sampling for UHD will be from a 5472 x 3078 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.29x Crop factor.

Both modes are accurately down-sampled to their final resolutions.

Existing frame rates will remain the same.

The current 1:1 4K sampling mode will remain an option for situations benefiting from the 1.78x Crop factor.

There will also be new full-sensor 3K modes added including 60fps and HDR 24fps.Both will use a line-alternating sampling method, so quality will be inferior to the improved 4K format (but better than the existing FullHD 1080p format.) It is unclear whether the file resolution in the final firmware will be the full 3360 x 1890 format or down-sampled to 3072 x 1728.

FullHD 1080p will also use this 3K full-sensor mode with down-sampling for a noticeable improvement in perceived resolution.

FullHD 1080p will also receive a modest frame rate boost to 72/75fps.

The EOS 5D Mark IV will gain the XF-AVC file format at 120Mbps (4:2:0) and 200Mbps (4:2:2). Both formats should require low enough data rates to accommodate UHS-I U3 type SD Cards.

Reports relating to a possible service job for the 5D Mark IV are the result of the heat sinks on current units not performing well in some environments when used with the newer firmware. This is because of the increased processing load from the enlarged video sampling area. Newer units will ship with an improved heat sink while existing 5D Mark IV units can be retrofitted. Pricing is unconfirmed for that servicing.

The newer firmware will still work in non-serviced cameras, but this may result in premature temperature warnings.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-factor-change-for-4k-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-included-in-coming-update-more/#ixzz4ceOEUrx2