Blog Comments - Hacked Panasonic GH2 and a GH3 on quadrocopter shoot BBC Top Gear special in Africa

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

[UPDATE: Sorry, have removed the article for now. An updated article & interview with Extreme Facilities will be online next week]

Extreme Facilities who provided the BBC with RC copter drones for the recent Top Gear Africa Special have some behind the scenes shots of the GH2 and GH3 in action.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Question, sorry if its been convered somewhere else, but how do they get the feed from the camera remotely in such long distances. I can only assume the copter is at LEAST a hundred feet away from them.

Pretty sure they are flying blind.....  shooting wide, deep DOF and at infinity focus.

I've not seen the top gear episode.... But if it is showing some kind of setup where it is broadcast back to a monitor... it's probably done in post.

Could be wrong though, but likely.

Pretty sure they are flying blind..... shooting wide, deep DOF and at infinity focus.

I've not seen the top gear episode.... But if it is showing some kind of setup where it is broadcast back to a monitor... it's probably done in post.

Could be wrong though, but likely.

To the guys asking how/if they see the picture of the camera when flying. Yes they see it in realtime, but it's not hd. It's an sd stream most time send over 5.8ghz because 2.4ghz is used for radio.

Normal range is around 500-700meters, if you upgrade to diversity and better antennas, 1,5km are no problem. And that all in legal frequencys.

If you want to see my aerial footage. www.zebraworkz.com

Greetings from berlin