Question concerning audio

craigsnedeker

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi,
It depends...
The gh2 is the best audio DSLR. You got some audio controls like four steps of volume and you can watch the meters all the time. There is no hiss...
Always will be better to record on external machine with a lossless resolution (wav), XLR robust connection ( also you got more options to choose shotguns ) ,  but that mean to use more gear and more work on post.

I like very much the internal audio option you got with GH2 and the best thing is to have different options to choose.
I see my GH2 like a modular cam so you can use it just alone with minimal things or for some production with more gears and things.

These are my options with audio:

1. GH2 alone with internal stereo mic. It's the best internal stereo mic in dslr market.
I have some foam(DIY) on the stereo to minimize the wind. I can control the volume in four steps.

2. GH2 with rode Videomic pro with deadcat. These shotgun is fantastic in terms of weight, size and perfomance. I can control in GH2 the volume in four steps and also the mic has three position(-10,0, 20 db). I always use on gh2 the minimum gain and the rode on -10 or 0 db. The results are very good.

3.GH2 with Sony lavalier. Works well.

4.GH2 with Zoom h4n and rode ntg1. The zoom provides phantom to energize the rode.
Sometimes I use at the same time lavalier and shotgun on the zoom so I have two independent audio channels to choose. The zoom has four tracks so you can record on the internal stereo plus the the shotgun and lavalier. Sometimes is good to have all these options.
Take a look to these link for these configuration:
[url=http://osgfilms.com/improve-gh2-audio/]http://osgfilms.com/improve-gh2-audio/[/url]

Well, these are my options.
I always try to work on my own without a soundman ( I work on audio also, so I have no personal problem with audiodepartament, but I don't have a partner who I trust at the moment... )

I think the GH2 is a modular cam, so all options can be used and depends of what you want, the space, location, sound, ambient,people, etc...
Sometime we don't need audio, just an image...
Saludos!
Francisco.

• 1 month later...
If you're considering an external recorder, this may be of interest:

I recently bought a Tascam DR-40 recorder for $150/shipped via ebay. Its built-in mics sound better than the GH2 mics, but the main reason I got it was to use a pair of condenser mics with the DR-40's phantom power.

The GH2 mics aren't "bad" per se, but as they are position at the camera and facing upwards, the sound quality is less "direct" and prone to picking up ambient sounds. Instead of an external recorder, you could add a microphone with a cable that can be placed closer to the sound source. Proximity makes a big difference in sound quality. Also, having the mic plugged into the camera eliminates the need to sync an external recorder's audio to the audio from the GH2.

I recently made a short video with a jazz drum solo, using a crane mounted GH2. External recorder Tascam DR-05 on a mic stand a couple of feet away... when editing both the musician and I found the sound from the camera closer to reality, so 90% of the mix is from the camera... The camera was only inches from the drum at times (11mm wideangle).

[url=http://vimeo.com/40110815]http://vimeo.com/40110815[/url]

The GH2 is one hell of a camera  :)