The Advantages of Traveling Light

jonpais

Pun intended! So I just bought my very first video lights (a Lishuai LED 100WB-56 and Godox Softbox for vlogging, a Lishuai 700RSV and Yongnuo YN216 for location shoots), and I'll be going to shoot a model in the park later this afternoon. I'll be bringing along the G85 and three lenses: the Leica 42.5 f/1.2, the Leica 12mm f/1.4 and the Oly 75mm f/1.8. I've never worked with lights for video before, so it will probably be shit, but gotta start somewhere. What's great is how ridiculously tiny the entire setup is, but not sure if it'll be powerful enough until I give it a go. I've gone ahead and ordered the Lishuai 1500RSV as well, but at something like 20 pounds, not ideal for location work. Of course, there are lots of other, cheaper lights available as well, I think we're approaching the golden age as far as affordable, battery powered, high CRI (or whichever method is used nowadays!), LED lighting is concerned. Mishaps: it took over an hour for me to put together the Godox Softbox; I broke off one of the reflector clips on the 100WB when I hit it while putting together one of my light stands; and I snapped a reflector while trying to fold it. :) Apologies for the ugly bed sheets.

IMG_2311.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you are shooting at night those lights could work fine. In daylight you need really powerful lights (or put light right next to subject face etc.). Reflectors can work well in daylight and are light and cheap. Something like these might be the lowest cost right now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259265-REG/intellytech_173004_fresnel_bi_color_high_output.html/prm/alsVwDtl 

The F485 is about 3095 lux at ~10 feet at 20 degrees (https://www.intellytechusa.com/products/light-cannon-f-485-bi-color-high-output-485w-led-7-fresnel-w-dmx).

The most powerful on the market appears to be this guy: http://aadyntech.com/products/the-punch-plus/, at 64,090 lux at 10 feet! (~$5700. About 21x more lux and only 3.6x the cost, so actually a very good value). That light is pretty huge and heavy.

It's good to know ranges of lights available as many manufacturers vastly overstate the light output of their lights.

6 minutes ago, jcs said:

If you are shooting at night those lights could work fine. In daylight you need really powerful lights (or put light right next to subject face etc.). Reflectors can work well in daylight and are light and cheap. Something like these might be the lowest cost right now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259265-REG/intellytech_173004_fresnel_bi_color_high_output.html/prm/alsVwDtl 

The F485 is about 3095 lux at ~10 feet at 20 degrees (https://www.intellytechusa.com/products/light-cannon-f-485-bi-color-high-output-485w-led-7-fresnel-w-dmx).

The most powerful on the market appears to be this guy: http://aadyntech.com/products/the-punch-plus/, at 64,090 lux at 10 feet! (~$5700. About 21x more lux and only 3.6x the cost, so actually a very good value). That light is pretty huge and heavy.

It's good to know ranges of lights available as many manufacturers vastly overstate the light output of their lights.

those lights are gorgeous! 

2 hours ago, jcs said:

The most powerful on the market appears to be this guy: http://aadyntech.com/products/the-punch-plus/, at 64,090 lux at 10 feet!

The Nila Arina appears to be one stop brighter, and it is doubtful that the Arina has the highest output of all LED filmmaking lights.  Nila was one of the very first high-power LED brands, so they have years of experience in designing for the film industry.

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

Are they weather sealed like HMI lights as I'm looking for LED lights to replace Arri M18s smaller lighter as powerful and weather sealed for out door use for a job

There are weatherproof versions of the Nila fixtures.  I would also check out Mole and other major brands.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Pun intended! So I just bought my very first video lights (a Lishuai LED 100WB-56 and Godox Softbox for vlogging, a Lishuai 700RSV and Yongnuo YN216 for location shoots), and I'll be going to shoot a model in the park later this afternoon. I'll be bringing along the G85 and three lenses: the Leica 42.5 f/1.2, the Leica 12mm f/1.4 and the Oly 75mm f/1.8. I've never worked with lights for video before, so it will probably be shit, but gotta start somewhere. What's great is how ridiculously tiny the entire setup is, but not sure if it'll be powerful enough until I give it a go. I've gone ahead and ordered the Lishuai 1500RSV as well, but at something like 20 pounds, not ideal for location work. Of course, there are lots of other, cheaper lights available as well, I think we're approaching the golden age as far as affordable, battery powered, high CRI (or whichever method is used nowadays!), LED lighting is concerned. Mishaps: it took over an hour for me to put together the Godox Softbox; I broke off one of the reflector clips on the 100WB when I hit it while putting together one of my light stands; and I snapped a reflector while trying to fold it. :) Apologies for the ugly bed sheets.

IMG_2311.jpg

Jonpais...somewhat off topic but do you use the Gorrillapod as a rig or for locked off shots with the G85?

5 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Jonpais...somewhat off topic but do you use the Gorrillapod as a rig or for locked off shots with the G85?

Hi Fritz - I bought the Gorillapod to use as a shoulder stabilizer for the GH4, but it never did work out for me. Then I got the Crane and had no use for it anymore. I thought I'd use it with the Yongnuo YN216 LED as a background light or a kicker. As happens all the time in this neck of the woods, I waited 30 minutes for my model to show up this afternoon, then packed up and went home. 

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Hi Fritz - I bought the Gorillapod to use as a shoulder stabilizer for the GH4, but it never did work out for me. Then I got the Crane and had no use for it anymore. I thought I'd use it with the Yongnuo YN216 LED as a background light or a kicker. As happens all the time in this neck of the woods, I waited 30 minutes for my model to show up this afternoon, then packed up and went home. 

Sorry about the model Jonpais!...so you're using the Gorrilla pod as a light stand?...if so, great idea and is it effective?

14 hours ago, tupp said:

The Nila Arina appears to be one stop brighter, and it is doubtful that the Arina has the highest output of all LED filmmaking lights.  Nila was one of the very first high-power LED brands, so they have years of experience in designing for the film industry.

There are weatherproof versions of the Nila fixtures.  I would also check out Mole and other major brands.

The Arina looks pretty cool, perhaps using similar LED elements as the Punch Plus (made by CREE). The Aadyntech Punch Plus uses 539 Watts vs. the Nila Arina which uses 800 Watts. Punch is about 50lbs and $5700, Arina about 70lbs and $7000. Nila states CRI and TLCI (85 & 80 at 5600K), Aadyntech doesn't list however would expect similar if both using CREE LEDs. Driver circuit is different: Punch is flicker free to 12,000fps vs. Arina to 5,000fps. Punch 29,110 lux at 15', vs 32,290 lux at 20' Arina (3,823,266 vs. 7,303,825 lumen). Same warranty (2 years) and lifespan for both (60,000 hours). Again, probably same LEDs with different driver circuits, power usage, light output, and cost. Pretty cool to have this much light power that exceeds 2500W HMI and is lower cost too!

Here's my first attempt at using video lights. This was shot with an Arri (just kidding!), the Leica 12mm f/1.4, the Lishuai LED 100WB-56 monolight, Rode VideoMic Pro, Godox Softbox, and iFootage Wild Bull T7 tripod. I used the Panasonic Image App, which is great, but Bluetooth on the GH5 should make it even easier to use. Please me know what you think of my smoking habit, Chang beer, my two day stubble, my shaky hands, the decor, my charismatic delivery, the color, the lens, my $4 knockoff Polo shirt, the sound quality, whether I'd be a good candidate for a YTP, whatever. Sorry about the jackhammer noises!

• 3 weeks later...