Can you help a brother out picking out a steadicam?

craigbuckley

I have a gh2 and I have been searching for a month or so now for a cheap steadicam under ($500) .....

Through my research I came up with the blackbird cmr, glidecam hd 2000, and more expesnive Merlin... It seems like the blackbird may get the best /most steady (floating camera) shot but I am worried my lenses will be too heavy... I have also been recommend the cheaper Hague MMC but I think I will be flying way to heavy for that.

Gh2 users, any recommendations for me? I have a couple SLR magic lenses so they are somewhat heavy...

Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use the Glidecam HD4000 with my GH2 (the top had additional counterweights). The HD2000 is probably better suited for this particular camera, but there's a good possibility that my next camera will be larger than the GH2. The arm brace helps a lot. Even with the arm brace, I can only fly the thing for two or three minutes at a time before my arm is ready to fall off.

All that being said, if I had back and/or neck problems I would go for the lightest setup possible.

Of your lenses, one would only use the SLR 12mm. Because it has no AF, you need to find the aperture/focus combinations that practically make it a fix focus lens (you know that you can't focus during a shot?). Use this online-DoF-calculator. Before you buy a bigger steadicam for the heavier lens, make a test at the calculated apertures. I didn't calculate myself, but I'd say you need f4 or so. 

A DoF calculator is perhaps the one 'filmmaking app' (available for OiS and Android) that you actually work with on set. 

I was trying to say that the depth of field needs to cover every motif on your steady path, and the smaller the aperture, the deeper the field. You probably can't use your highspeed lenses wider than f4. You should check in advance if you are happy with that look.